Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

I Was There!

Guest StevieLynex
7 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Always remember that John Beck had Cambridge playing an ultra long ball style and  when we had the game safe there was a mass chant around Filbo, "We play football, we play football."  

He almost became our Manager!

2 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

The game that never took place(according to the FA): 6-1 v Burton (managed by Warnock)

I was at that one. Played at the Baseball Ground.

The match was forced to be replayed behind closed doors at Highfield Road so I hope nobody will claim to have been at that one.

Guest StevieLynex
2 hours ago, ceredigion said:

The match was forced to be replayed behind closed doors at Highfield Road so I hope nobody will claim to have been at that one.

I was at the first match.

On 21/11/2020 at 14:01, Chicago Foxile said:

This was a special night and the atmosphere was electric- City v Cambridge at Filbo back in 1992, play off semi final second leg.  The beginning of a magical period of ups and downs- seven Wembley trips in nine years followed this night

Any idea who the co-commentator was for this game? I remember the voice, but can’t put a name to it.

7 hours ago, ceredigion said:

I was in the crush behind the goal and listened to the reply in school so it must have been replayed on a school day afternoon. 

17 hours ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

I was in the crush behind the goal and listened to the reply in school so it must have been replayed on a school day afternoon. 

I was still in the 6th Form at the time. I seem to recall the match being played around lunchtime on a Monday but I can't be certain.

Incidentally, City won the first game 6-1 but it doesn't count towards the career statistics of any player who took part in it or scored a goal. Lineker got a hat-trick that day and is still aggrieved that those goals aren't included in his official City record.

20 hours ago, Rain King said:

Jimmy Greaves.

Greavsie was a fixture on Central TV at the time and did the commentary on loads of City matches. He was always funny and interesting to listen to but he did seem to have a real grudge against us at times. After the Derby play-off win the chant was ''Are you watching Jimmy Greaves?''. He's not in great health these days so we can forgive him.

On 21/11/2020 at 19:01, Chicago Foxile said:

This was a special night and the atmosphere was electric- City v Cambridge at Filbo back in 1992, play off semi final second leg.  The beginning of a magical period of ups and downs- seven Wembley trips in nine years followed this night

I was at university in Leeds at the time. 

I do recall the night before this match, I was in my bedsit and did a line of speed. Consequently I stayed up all night, no doubt listening to music and smoking, and I resolved to hitch back home to Leicester the next day and go to the match. I'm pretty sure the game was already a sell out but this didn't deter me. I'd done plenty of hitching and the trip down the M1 was almost always quicker, and obviously cheaper, than taking the 3 hour National Express coach. 

Suffice to say I was up all night but got myself organised, packed my small rucksack, and come the early morning was about to depart to the Leeds end of the M1, when I was suddenly overcome with intense tiredness.

So I went to bed instead. 

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, zorro en españa said:

Cheers Stevie L but couldn’t you have posted the previous season’s highlights with Weller’s goal for US 😂😂

I would - but haven’t got a clue how to do it 🤔

https://youtu.be/W1T0DerAEWA

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

Greavsie was a fixture on Central TV at the time and did the commentary on loads of City matches. He was always funny and interesting to listen to but he did seem to have a real grudge against us at times. After the Derby play-off win the chant was ''Are you watching Jimmy Greaves?''. He's not in great health these days so we can forgive him.

Greavsie was too docile to hold grudges. He was funny and quick witted, but absurdly useless as a pundit. 

He was rescued - literally from the alcoholic gutter - by an ambitious Gary Newbon who was the head of central sport (central being a new station at the time) and have him a job. Newbon also employed some racing dude from the gutter Terry someone (biddecombe?) who also became a fixture on Central

I think Greavsie was forever grateful for the central gig.

48 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Greavsie was too docile to hold grudges. He was funny and quick witted, but absurdly useless as a pundit. 

He was rescued - literally from the alcoholic gutter - by an ambitious Gary Newbon who was the head of central sport (central being a new station at the time) and have him a job. Newbon also employed some racing dude from the gutter Terry someone (biddecombe?) who also became a fixture on Central

I think Greavsie was forever grateful for the central gig.

Not so sure about that. He'd been doing Saint and Greavsie with Ian St John, which was ITV's equivalent of Football Focus, for a fair few years before he became Central TV's pundit. And he was generally good value at the time and I think he liked the Midlands football scene of the early 90s when ourselves, Forest, Derby, Wolves, WBA, Birmingham, Notts County and one or two others were playing each other on a regular basis. It sounds like you remember that time so you'll know that every Sunday afternoon there was a live match on Central and Greaves was one of the main commentators, along with Ron Atkinson and David Pleat. Greavsie never sounded the worse for wear to me, although Pleat did now and again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ceredigion said:

Not so sure about that. He'd been doing Saint and Greavsie with Ian St John, which was ITV's equivalent of Football Focus, for a fair few years before he became Central TV's pundit. And he was generally good value at the time and I think he liked the Midlands football scene of the early 90s when ourselves, Forest, Derby, Wolves, WBA, Birmingham, Notts County and one or two others were playing each other on a regular basis. It sounds like you remember that time so you'll know that every Sunday afternoon there was a live match on Central and Greaves was one of the main commentators, along with Ron Atkinson and David Pleat. Greavsie never sounded the worse for wear to me, although Pleat did now and again.

Greavsie for the Saint and Greavsie gig as he was 'beamed' in as a guest to Saint's football preview on world of sport from CE teal studios. Greavsie was so funny on the feed, it developed into a double act and Saint and Greavsie was born as a full on show.

The central live Sunday Midlands match came much later and greavsie was a full on TV regular by then 

Greavsie never touched a drop after recovering from alcoholism. Newbon gave him the Central job, some stability etc after he'd given up the booze

He actually then got a regular gig on GMTV as some kind of TV pundit. 

I'm sounding like greavsies biographer here! 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), Greavsie was dry from the late 70s onwards. So I am afraid that Mr Stickers might have been economical with the truth here...

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know), Greavsie was dry from the late 70s onwards. So I am afraid that Mr Stickers might have been economical with the truth here...

Nope, wiki is right. He gave up the booze and central was, err, central to him staying that way.

On 17/11/2020 at 18:54, davieG said:

This just popped up on my Facebook page.

125964943_10221238679894777_3747723687491150883_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=14DBdz7gMisAX-cfz9T&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=30b0bde36ade9a3bd2ee60de97efa347&oe=5FD9F5BD

More details here - https://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-west-ham-united-27-august-1966-78885/ and here - https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/browse/?season=1966

I was there, first Home Match after the '66 World Cup the WHU team include Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, and with Gordan Banks paraded the World Cup before KO.

Have you got an 'I Was There' LCFC event that was particularly memorable?

Halcyon days, I was there too. I also remembering thumping Arsenal 7-2 in 1963 when the keeper went off injured, before the days of substitutes. Keyworth & Gibbo 2 apiece.

49 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Halcyon days, I was there too. I also remembering thumping Arsenal 7-2 in 1963 when the keeper went off injured, before the days of substitutes. Keyworth & Gibbo 2 apiece.

I think Joe Baler went in goal for them.

On 22/11/2020 at 19:37, ceredigion said:

I hate to tell you’re wrong but you’re wrong! 
I was there. Bert Millichip the then chairman of the FA took me in and I sat with around 30 or so people in the directors box at Highfiled Road. 
Where there’s a will there’s a way! 

13 hours ago, Weller 7 said:

I hate to tell you’re wrong but you’re wrong! 
I was there. Bert Millichip the then chairman of the FA took me in and I sat with around 30 or so people in the directors box at Highfiled Road. 
Where there’s a will there’s a way! 

Fair play to you then. Did you get a match programme?