Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Best Sweets Ever

On 11/12/2020 at 19:14, boots60 said:

Can someone clarify this please?

Worthers originals are portrayed as being a sweet loved by the older folk but I honestly do not remember seeing them until maybe 20-25 years ago.

Are they an old established sweet going back many years or is the advertising nostalgic guff?

Several years ago I was in South Korea for work and one day I was on the way out of a particularly busy metro station in Seoul. As I buzzed myself through the turnstile on the way out, I noticed an elderly Korean woman who was having trouble using the turnstile next to me. Her Tmoney card (the Korean equivalent of the Oyster card) wasn't working and she couldn't get out, I assume as she didn't have enough money on it. It was so busy that a long queue was already forming behind her so after I went through I just reached over and buzzed her through with my card. (The Korean metro is dead cheap and all my travel was on expenses so it wasn't as generous as it sounds!) After she went through she put her hand in her coat pocket and pulled out a sweet and gave it to me to say thanks. It was tiny, but it tasted exactly the same as a Werther's Original. I don't know about Werther's as a brand but my only deduction can be that butter candies have been around for absolutely ages and are popular among the elderly around the world.

On 14/08/2021 at 11:36, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Mackintoshe's Toffee Cup. ( only us oldies would remember them. ) One you all know; Jelly babies, even if they are smaller these days.

Maybe they're premature jelly babies.

• Haha 3

On 14/08/2021 at 08:28, The People's Hero said:

The answer is sherbet lemons and as soon as the roof of my mouth has required, I'm going in for another.

I know you meant "recovered". I know what you mean, for me they seem to cut slices into my tongue but the pain is worth the fizzy pleasure.