Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Has there ever been a good strategy game on a console?

XCOM 2 and They are Billions are the most recent examples I can think of good strategy games that actually work well on consoles.  I know Civ 6 is on consoles but I've not actually played that so can't comment on how well the game translates to controllers.  I think most RTS/strategy games on consoles have a pause button to offset having fewer buttons to hand.

They are Billions went a bit under the radar and was excellent and worth looking at on any platform.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean by strategy, I don't think any decent traditional RTS games like the Total War series are on consoles.

If you mean 4x then there's Civ VI or Stellaris and probably others.

Turn-based combat you have X-Com 1/2, Wasteland 3 and loads more.  If you're on switch there's Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle which is surprisingly decent. 

For tactical RPGs you have Fire Emblem 3 & Valkyria Chronicles IV both on Switch, I dunno about the other consoles.

Wargroove is a good little indie Advance Wars style game I think on all platforms.

Football Manager's on all consoles except Sony.

On 19/12/2020 at 00:51, Carl the Llama said:

Depends what you mean by strategy, I don't think any decent traditional RTS games like the Total War series are on consoles.

If you mean 4x then there's Civ VI or Stellaris and probably others.

Turn-based combat you have X-Com 1/2, Wasteland 3 and loads more.  If you're on switch there's Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle which is surprisingly decent. 

For tactical RPGs you have Fire Emblem 3 & Valkyria Chronicles IV both on Switch, I dunno about the other consoles.

Wargroove is a good little indie Advance Wars style game I think on all platforms.

Football Manager's on all consoles except Sony.

If you're talking Xbox, not PS4, then apparently Halo Tactics or whatever its called is meant to be superb; like a more focussed Xcom.