Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Quitting Smoking

7 minutes ago, Daggers said:

That simply isn’t true.

I spend every week reading research studies on the subject and have done since 2012. I have presented on the subject to House of Commons select committee. I sat as a trustee on the board of a harm reduction charity. There is not one independent research expert on the subject who would agree with your statement.

Cant argue with that.... lol but you are confident they are not harmful or bad ?

Edit.. having read this... i stand by my comment 

https://news.cancerresearchuk.org/2019/02/01/smokeless-tobacco-5-common-questions-about-heat-not-burn-products-answered/#:~:text=Is heated tobacco safe%3F,chemicals compared to cigarette smoke.

Edited by ozleicester

Just now, ozleicester said:

Cant argue with that.... lol but you are confident they are not harmful or bad ?

There is no safe. Even not using anything presents with risks due to things like formaldehyde being released from old furniture. The Australian approach relies on an ideal of absolute safety or nothing - quit nicotine use altogether or die. It’s a model that has seen it slide behind other nations that adopted forward thinking harm reduction approaches - New Zealand, for example.

HNB is absolutely not safe, PMI are absolutely not to be trusted, but the evidence suggests it offers increased safety over smoking - for a start there is no tar or carbon monoxide produced from combustion.

The majority of those who still smoke in places like Australia are the hardest to encourage to quit - and quit or die is the equivalent approach to the war on drugs, it has failed and continues to fail the public. It receives support due to the influence of billionaire Michael Bloomberg and the $millions he directs at disinformation.

HNB offers a potential for reducing risk and increasing the chance to make a full switch/quit attempt. The evidence to support this notion is not strong as most have not invested time and effort to document it, well not as strong as that which supports vaping.

The choice isn’t about harmful or bad, it’s about it being a better choice to the current bad choice, if that makes sense. Best choice is to completely quit, next best to switch to vaping or snus.

14 hours ago, Daggers said:

That simply isn’t true.

I spend every week reading research studies on the subject and have done since 2012. I have presented on the subject to House of Commons select committee. I sat as a trustee on the board of a harm reduction charity. There is not one independent research expert on the subject who would agree with your statement.

Impressive credentials you have. I’d like to know what you’re views are on heat sticks , my device arrived today and I’ve not had time today to give it a good go but I got to the heat point once and found it very odd but I’ll be experimenting over the next few days. 
it seems the tide has turned with people not smoking their is a lot of companies investing in non smoking products which surely can only be a good thing. 
Hopefully one of them works for me in the long term. 

57 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Impressive credentials you have. I’d like to know what you’re views are on heat sticks , my device arrived today and I’ve not had time today to give it a good go but I got to the heat point once and found it very odd but I’ll be experimenting over the next few days. 
it seems the tide has turned with people not smoking their is a lot of companies investing in non smoking products which surely can only be a good thing. 
Hopefully one of them works for me in the long term. 

I do have an opinion about them but I don’t think it’s important. It’s not very positive tbh. But…

Everyone who smokes has to make their individual quit journey - and it’s individual to you. If it works then great, if not then try something else. 

My major issue is that they are all tobacco company products and I harbour strong issues with the way they do business and lobby. Also, the sheer volume of astroturf “consumer” organisations they’ve funded and the back door lobbying via so-called think tanks. 

Most people in the UK now use a vape kit to quit and studies demonstrate that these work better than other approaches, especially when combined with cessation counselling through a quit service. Plus, the nicotine in eliquid appears to be far less addictive meaning that it is then easier to quit vaping.

However your journey pans out - good luck 🤞 

• Like 1