Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Quitting Smoking

I'm 41 and been a smoker for about 25 years.

I've tried numerous times to give up and I'm trying once again.

I've got my patches and lozenges ready and I really want to do it this time.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It stinks, costs a fortune, kills you and is just not very nice.

Starting smoking is easily the biggest regret of my life and giving up, despite all the reasons to is so bloody hard.

Any others on here trying to give up or have managed to?

Any tips to be successful would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone else is quitting, maybe use this thread as encouragement?

39 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It stinks, costs a fortune, kills you and is just not very nice.

Starting smoking is easily the biggest regret of my life and giving up, despite all the reasons to is so bloody hard.

Any tips to be successful would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone else is quitting, maybe use this thread as encouragement?

good luck man, giving up is easy, i have done it 3 times now. the hard part is not starting again. bin all the ashtrays, stay away from smokers, find a hobby , something to do with your hands, i found the inhalator good for that, but switching to vaping worked best for me. just dont get the patches and gum mixed up because they taste awful

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Beliall said:

good luck man, giving up is easy, i have done it 3 times now. the hard part is not starting again. bin all the ashtrays, stay away from smokers, find a hobby , something to do with your hands, i found the inhalator good for that, but switching to vaping worked best for me. just dont get the patches and gum mixed up because they taste awful

...All men have that hobby...

On a serious note hope @tom27111 best of luck kicking that habit!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I was a smoker of 25 years and gave up in August. Second time I've gave up but this time has been the easiest. I did it with champix and as much as I hate the damn things I also bought a vape (a cheap £25 thing, about the size of a marker pen) and that has helped me no end. Last time I gave up it lasted a whole year and I remember the whole year being a nightmare. I think I may of had a few drags of mates and work colleagues fags so I basically cheated. This time I have done pretty darn good. So pleased with myself. I must admit at the beginning I really needed a drag but that's where the vape came in, and now I I am seriously considering coming off the vape.

So..... 

See your doctor and ask for Champix and if you are like me and have no will power whatsoever, get a cheap vape. I only have about 5/6mg nicotine liquids. I know it still has nicotine in it but I don't smoke 20+ a day any more. 

• Like 2

I’ve managed it twice, once in 1987 after nearly 20 years and again in 2014 after another 5 year stint. Both times effectively I just stopped, though the second time I had already switched to e-cigs. The key for me was to convince myself that I was not ever going to smoke again. If you fail to do that you are constantly just looking forward to your next cigarette. Once I’d convinced myself, it was really quite easy.

Good luck my friend, it really is something you need to do and well worthwhile.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Started smoking as a 12/13 year old, smoked the 16mg tough as old rope shit until my 40s.

Tried giving up with all sort of tools and "failed" at least 10 times, ranging from lasting a couple of months.. to a few days.

Some 15 years ago went on "Zyban" i think it was called, a drug that interfered with the addiction centre in the brain (at least thats what i was told) took them for about 3 months...and managed to give up forever. I since discovered that Zyban was an antidepressant and while it was harmless for me... care should be taken

Im just saying..good luck. You will get there.

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I quit a little over a year ago. I’ve tried 10+times but this one feels like I’ve succeeded. 

biggest tip is to make a craving action plan. Essentially a list of things you must do first and only once you have done all of them can you have a cigarette. This will be subjective but as an example:

1: put a 5 minute stopwatch on and think of something else for those 5 minutes.

2: take a stop smoking aid such as a lozenge

3: Go for a walk.

4: watch a video about lung cancer, the more horrible the better.

5. Call someone who supports your quit attempt, I.e parent/kid/spouse

if you’ve done all of them and still can’t cope, have a cigarette. (This worked for me because I wasn’t saying to myself that I’m never having a cigarette again, I was just supplanting my cravings with other things that worked for me) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I smoked on and off for over 30 years and tried everything to give up. Patches, gum, lozenges, spray etc but nothing worked.

About six years ago I started vaping and haven’t had a cigarette since. It’s the nicotine we’re addicted to, not cigarettes, so I get my ‘hit’ from vaping instead and I feel fine.

Its cheaper, doesn’t stink, I don’t cough or wheeze and as far as I know, there’s no health implications.

Im now on the lowest strength nicotine juice (0.3%) so admittedly I’m vaping away all day and it’s definitely a habit, but I’m ok with that (I don’t drink so it’s my only vice!)

Best of luck giving up the fags mate.

• Like 3

Guest Harrydc

Good luck mate. I smoked for 3 years and I'm around the 7 week smoke free mark. Everyone's different, I went the cold turkey route, it was hell. Especially if I've had a drink. Pubs being closed has helped with that though I guess., 

I stopped nearly 5 years ago by switching to a vape.  My best bit of advice if you DO go down a Vaping route, is don't go for a cheap pen type vape.  Spend £60 - £70 on a really solid vape as it almost gives you the same throat hit as a cigarette and makes it easier to transition away. 

I haven't touched a fag in 5 years, I can't even imagine it now.  But technically, I am cheating, as the vape still has nicotine albeit at the lowest possible level I can. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I used the chewing gum option. It worked for me. It really is about willpower. I wake up some mornings or have a stressful day and immediately my thought process goes to "I need a fag". I've been off the fags for over a year now and its the best thing I have done. 

Quitting is a hard enough but you will find alternatives. Its not just about quitting its also about ensuring those alternatives are not just as a bad for you (i.e. sweets, chocolates etc.). Diet coke worked/works for me. Its disgusting but gives that burning sensation at the back of your throat. Pour a small glass when the cravings get a bit much and down it! 

I've saved an absolute fortune and putting aftershave on in the morning actually means something. 

The best advice I got when I was starting on the journey has really helped me get through it:

"When you are relaxed - you pick up a fag."

"When you are looking to ease stress - you pick up a fag."

How can you use the same thing to treat you in completely different scenarios - it really is all in the mind. 

Keep at it - its worth it. Now I am trying to reduce the chewing habit (my ****ing jaw kills!) but its better then smoking. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I stopped nearly 5 years ago by switching to a vape.  My best bit of advice if you DO go down a Vaping route, is don't go for a cheap pen type vape.  Spend £60 - £70 on a really solid vape as it almost gives you the same throat hit as a cigarette and makes it easier to transition away. 

I haven't touched a fag in 5 years, I can't even imagine it now.  But technically, I am cheating, as the vape still has nicotine albeit at the lowest possible level I can. 

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that nicotine in itself is pretty harmless - a bit like caffeine (although highly addictive).

The three ingredients in decent quality vape juice is basically nicotine, flavoring, and cough medicine base (VG/PG). All the tar, toxins and cancerous stuff you find in tobacco isn't in vape juice as far as I'm aware, so I can't see the problem in vaping.

I have a weird relationship with smoking. 

When I'm sober, I can't abide the thought of it. It tastes minging and makes me want to go for a poo. 

The moment I'm starting to feel woozy after a few sauces, out comes the baccy. It's been this way for years, pure social smoking. Has to be rollies, too. Fags are pretty much always horrendous, unless I'm desperate. 

I used to think it wasn't so much of a big deal as it was like "it's only 5 or 10 on a Friday or Saturday night" but I'm starting to feel it much more the day after. Mouth like a badger's arsehole. Chest a bit tight.

I think this year will be when I start to wind it up.

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Tom I've never smoked tobacco.  Growing up in a house where my father smoked up to 60 a day convinced me that it was a bad thing to do.  I wish I could show you the effect it had on his health - he had three heart attacks and his skin was like leather eventually.  So I can't offer you any advice.

What I'm convinced of is that if you have the drive and determination to beat depression then you can beat a craving.  So if you really want to, you'll succeed.

• Like 2

My dad smoked from 13 years old up to around 40-50. Cant quite remember the exact date but he smoked a lot and similar age to you. He also tried many times to stop including patches etc. 

What really helped out him out was going to the doctors and they prescribed him something called Ziaban. Bit more heavy duty then patches etc but I think they help reduce your cravings a bit more then the usual patches etc. He also went to a hypnotherapist and said that probably helped more than the pills and really recommends long term smokers to give hypnotherapy a go. 

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. 

I'm really trying to stay away from vaping if I can.

Tried it a couple of years ago and I was on it pretty much constantly, ultimately taking in more nicotine!

I don't really drink a lot of hot drinks. So my go to this morning has been a coffee. 

Edited by tom27111

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm 41 and been a smoker for about 25 years. I've tried numerous times to give up and I'm trying once again.

Patches are the best way to give up smoking.

Put one over each eye and you won't be able to find your ciggies....

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. 

I'm really trying to stay away from vaping if I can.

Tried it a couple of years ago and I was on it pretty much constantly, ultimately taking in more nicotine!

I don't really drink a lot of hot drinks. So my go to this morning has been a coffee. 

There's lots of conflicting reports about nicotine and this one is quite old but you get the gist...

Nicotine No Worse Than Cup Of Coffee - Report

https://news.sky.com/story/nicotine-no-worse-than-cup-of-coffee-report-10349589

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I going to use reverse psychology on you and say "You'll never do it"😆 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

There's lots of conflicting reports about nicotine and this one is quite old but you get the gist...

Nicotine No Worse Than Cup Of Coffee - Report

https://news.sky.com/story/nicotine-no-worse-than-cup-of-coffee-report-10349589

I think most people agree that vaping is probably safer than smoking but its nobody can be certain of the long term effects of it. Obviously it cant be much worse then the long term effects of smoking so its lesser of two evils. 

Issue with vaping is that its hard to no when to stop as it isnt like a fag or spliff that goes down as you smoke it. I think it would be good if vapes had a percentage bar that told you you've smoked one fags worth during the session or whatever.

I vaped for a little while when I stopped from being a daily weed smoker and the vape did help a lot. Issue was I was chonging it so much more then if I was smoking a spliff here or there in the afternoon. My chest started to feel tight eventually from using it and thats when I just stopped vaping. 

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 2