Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Quitting Smoking

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

People have been pestering me for years to give up and I never really wanted to. No point if your heart isn't in it. 

I genuinely believe if I want to give up I will be able to give up.

I don't want to give up ... that's the problem.

Good luck though Tom.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Good luck though Tom.

Absolutely this, all of my failed attempts were based in doing it "for others" rather than because i truly wanted to.

I LOVED smoking.

I only stopped when i realised that was no longer controlling my life, the smokes to some extent dictated, where i went, when i started or stopped doing things, they interfered with watching football, movies, family events. The smokes were deciding my life. Fvck that :)

As an FYI... i still love the smell of smokes, in the past i would go out with the smokers at work functions etc. I have never got over it..

Best of all....now my life is controlled by the wonderful Mrs Oz, and the Government....just the way its supposed to be :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks in and I'm kind of doing alright.

The patches I've got are good. Really good. 

Cravings have been few and far between.

I'm smoking 1 cigarette a day. I know that isn't exactly quitting, but after having 15 to 20 a day for the last quarter of a century, I'll take that.

I'm always disappointed in myself when I do have that 1.

Just had my Sunday roast...going for my daily quota in a minute, then I'm really going to try and make that my last 1.

• Like 2

On 06/01/2021 at 00:35, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Good luck though Tom.

Isn’t that the addiction speaking though? You don’t want to give up because you’re addicted. That’s fine, it’s not up to me whether you smoke or not. 

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

2 weeks in and I'm kind of doing alright.

The patches I've got are good. Really good. 

Cravings have been few and far between.

I'm smoking 1 cigarette a day. I know that isn't exactly quitting, but after having 15 to 20 a day for the last quarter of a century, I'll take that.

I'm always disappointed in myself when I do have that 1.

Just had my Sunday roast...going for my daily quota in a minute, then I'm really going to try and make that my last 1.

Maybe save the one you do have for before you go to bed, that way earlier cravings will be easier to manage as you can convince yourself you’ll have one at night. Then when evening comes around, focus all your attention on something else, so you forget to have one. 

2 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Maybe save the one you do have for before you go to bed, that way earlier cravings will be easier to manage as you can convince yourself you’ll have one at night. Then when evening comes around, focus all your attention on something else, so you forget to have one. 

That's what I was doing, because I couldn't sleep for the first 5 days. 

I now take my patch off at about 9pm, because I don't think that was helping with sleeping.

The first one when I woke up, the one before I went to bed and the one after a big meal are the hardest to stop.

That's why I'm breaking those routines and just having one when I can't hold out anymore.

I don't want to be waiting till bedtime to allow myself it. 

It's very hard to explain, I think a lot of it is mental as well.

Was dying for one before kick off last night, because that's the norm. Then 1 at half time and 1 at full time.

My Mrs said "see what's happening with 10 minutes to go, you might need it more then."

She was right. Had one at full time and that was that.

9 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Isn’t that the addiction speaking though? You don’t want to give up because you’re addicted. That’s fine, it’s not up to me whether you smoke or not. 

The point I was making was: if something came along in my life (an issue with my health, meeting the woman of my dreams who detests smoking etc) which made me re-evaluate things, I believe I could stop just like that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The point I was making was: if something came along in my life (an issue with my health, meeting the woman of my dreams who detests smoking etc) which made me re-evaluate things, I believe I could stop just like that.

I can get behind this. If there's a reason, it makes it easier.

I smoked for 25 years because I enjoyed it, despite all the negatives.

Everyone has something that they'd struggle to give up, whether it's an addictive drug or not.

There's thousands of people across the country who wouldn't give up playing golf unless there was a reason.

• Like 1

Switching jobs helped me quit smoking in 2019. In a new environment, where when anyone asked if I smoked, I'd say 'No'. I wouldn't add 'I used to' etc as doing that will ensure someone offers you one eventually.  

I've smoked the odd one since when drinking but never started regularly again. Also cutting down on my drinking by probably 90% helped. Those are my two biggest tips I guess, get yourself into a new environment without the habit of smoking if possible and drink only on occasion if that's a trigger. 

Edited by LCFCCHRIS
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Switching jobs helped me quit smoking in 2019. In a new environment, where when anyone asked if I smoked, I'd say 'No'. I wouldn't add 'I used to' etc as doing that will ensure someone offers you one eventually.  

I've smoked the odd one since when drinking but never started regularly again. Also cutting down on my drinking by probably 90% helped. Those are my two biggest tips I guess, get yourself into a new environment without the habit of smoking if possible and drink only on occasion if that's a trigger. 

I drink most nights.

Not excessively, especially as I work as a driver.

So I don't think the drinking thing will trigger me. Being in the pub with mates might, but that looks a long way off! 

• Like 1

Good luck though Tom.

No offence, Geoff, but that's what all drug addicts believe.

I gave up 8 years ago having smoked heavily for 20 years. Stopped entirely all at once, no patches or substitutes.  I thought it was important to cut it out of my life.

I would say say that whilst I spent the first few months really massively craving a smoke, especially after a drink or three, the craving does, eventually go away. Honestly, it really does.  At one stage I wanted to follow smokers up the street to breathe their 2nd hand fumes lol

I wouldn’t and probably couldn’t smoke now if I tried.  I wish I’d stopped a lot earlier. It really does pen and ink...

I think it is important to try and break smoking routines. That one you always want after meals, or as a reward for doing some work, etc.  I changed a few routines to try and avoid that “Right, time for a ciggy...” moment.

I started chewing gum (not nicotine, just normal gum) and took up exercise. 

Good luck to anyone one giving it up. :scarf:

• Like 3

On 04/01/2021 at 01:26, tom27111 said:

I'm 41 and been a smoker for about 25 years.

I've tried numerous times to give up and I'm trying once again.

I've got my patches and lozenges ready and I really want to do it this time.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It stinks, costs a fortune, kills you and is just not very nice.

Starting smoking is easily the biggest regret of my life and giving up, despite all the reasons to is so bloody hard.

Any others on here trying to give up or have managed to?

Any tips to be successful would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone else is quitting, maybe use this thread as encouragement?

Smoke pot through a bong. It worked for me. :rolleyes: :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

Smoke pot through a bong. It worked for me. :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Never been a fan.

I took speed once when I was 16. The comedown was that hard, I swore I'd never touch any drugs again. 

I may have smoked a lot and I drink too much, but anything else...not for me.

Each to their own though, if that's what you like, go for it. Doesn't bother me.

37 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I gave up 8 years ago having smoked heavily for 20 years. Stopped entirely all at once, no patches or substitutes.  I thought it was important to cut it out of my life.

I would say say that whilst I spent the first few months really massively craving a smoke, especially after a drink or three, the craving does, eventually go away. Honestly, it really does.  At one stage I wanted to follow smokers up the street to breathe their 2nd hand fumes lol

I wouldn’t and probably couldn’t smoke now if I tried.  I wish I’d stopped a lot earlier. It really does pen and ink...

I think it is important to try and break smoking routines. That one you always want after meals, or as a reward for doing some work, etc.  I changed a few routines to try and avoid that “Right, time for a ciggy...” moment.

I started chewing gum (not nicotine, just normal gum) and took up exercise. 

Good luck to anyone one giving it up. :scarf:

Fair play, that must have been bloody hard.

If you've never smoked, I don't think you'll understand how hard it is. Well, unless you've knocked herion on the head.

What prompted you to quit @Vacamion?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

No offence, Geoff, but that's what all drug addicts believe.

All drug addicts believe that I could give up smoking if I wanted to?

How do all these drugs addicts know about me smoking? 

lol

32 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

All drug addicts believe that I could give up smoking if I wanted to?

How do all these drugs addicts know about me smoking? 

lol

They nick the foil from your roast every Sunday so they can heat up their skag.

For that, they're grateful. And they believe in you if you want to quit lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Fair play, that must have been bloody hard.

If you've never smoked, I don't think you'll understand how hard it is. Well, unless you've knocked herion on the head.

What prompted you to quit @Vacamion?

I was over 40, overweight and a smoker. I hadn't taken any proper exercise since my early 20s.

I was aware that this was not really going to be a long term proposition... 

I actually tried going for a jog walk while I still smoked.  I got a bit of a sweat on, and afterwards I stood outside my back door, stillwearing shorts and trainers, having a smoke, and I thought "What on earth are you doing, you idiot?" lol

I had three quarters of a packet left. I kept them in the back of a  cupboard for years afterwards, and never touched them. 

I will admit that once or twice in the first few months I pulled that packet out, removed a ciggy and sniffed it, but I always put it back and I didn't smoke any more.

The thinking was, "I'm quitting, but if I want to start again, it's my choice".

I didn't tell anyone I'd stopped or make any fuss about stopping, in case I started again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

I was over 40, overweight and a smoker. I hadn't taken any proper exercise since my early 20s.

I was aware that this was not really going to be a long term proposition... 

I actually tried going for a jog walk while I still smoked.  I got a bit of a sweat on, and afterwards I stood outside my back door, stillwearing shorts and trainers, having a smoke, and I thought "What on earth are you doing, you idiot?" lol

I had three quarters of a packet left. I kept them in the back of a  cupboard for years afterwards, and never touched them. 

I will admit that once or twice in the first few months I pulled that packet out, removed a ciggy and sniffed it, but I always put it back and I didn't smoke any more.

The thinking was, "I'm quitting, but if I want to start again, it's my choice".

I didn't tell anyone I'd stopped or make any fuss about stopping, in case I started again.

Fair play, that's some fvcking willpower right there :appl:

Just now, tom27111 said:

Fair play, that's some fvcking willpower right there :appl:

I suppose if The Reaper isn't quite tapping you on your shoulder, but is occasionally walking by the end of your street, it can be a motivation.  :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I suppose if The Reaper isn't quite tapping you on your shoulder, but is occasionally walking by the end of your street, it can be a motivation.  :D

Same things are motivating me. 

Mainly as my father in law now has terminal cancer, non smoking related.

I've passed 40 and realised I ain't invincible. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 20:26, tom27111 said:

I'm 41 and been a smoker for about 25 years.

I've tried numerous times to give up and I'm trying once again.

I've got my patches and lozenges ready and I really want to do it this time.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It stinks, costs a fortune, kills you and is just not very nice.

Starting smoking is easily the biggest regret of my life and giving up, despite all the reasons to is so bloody hard.

Any others on here trying to give up or have managed to?

Any tips to be successful would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone else is quitting, maybe use this thread as encouragement?

Sounds familiar Tom. Started when I was 14 and quit when I hit 40.

Took me many times to quit myself. Cold Turkey. Meeting my non smoking wife finally did the trick:D. And other things like. Feeling like crap. Waking up one morning and knowing if I continued it would kill me like my mom in her early 50's. The doctor telling me I had High blood pressure and the pills that made me feel dizzy. As in F that.

It may be a disgusting habit but there's nothing like a smoke and a Gin and Tonic. My trigger when I first Quit.

Took me a couple years before I could have a drink and not crave a smoke. My trigger is what always made me relapse. Find it and control it or don't do it. Used to drive me insane. Oh I'll just have one. Oh only when I drink. If you blow it don't give up. Even if it takes 20 times.

Haven't had a smoke in 23 years and I feel so much better. Good Luck and realize that in order to learn you have to fail. Breaking a life time habit is not an easy thing to do. You can.