Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Quitting Smoking

Well, day 1 nearly over. It's been quite tough.

I've had my patch on and had 3 lozenges, which isn't bad actually.

Had about 6 cups of coffee, which is 6 more than usual!

My biggest problem giving up before was not being able to sleep. So, I've got about half a packet of cigarettes left and I've made the decision to have 1 before bed, as I usually would.

From 15-20 a day down to one will do for the first week.

• Like 1

I've been smoking for about 12 years now, I think if I hadn't been able to get them much cheaper all this time then I would've quit years ago. Also brought a shitload back from Greece end of the summer which will last me until about April/May, after which im hoping to knock it on the head. I do have a good vape I use infrequently, have gone a day or two only using that, but whilst I have a cupboard full of cigs I've had no real incentive to stop yet. The temptation will always be there as I can just pop out and get them better than half price but i do want to quit before I hit 30. Currently smoke 20 in a 24 hour period, and around a 4 hour period if im drinking, which isn't great.

I've been smoke-free for about 10 months now. Although I use a small vape pen now, but it's much better and cheaper than cigs. 

The most difficult for me, was breaking the routine; cigarette in the morning with a coffee, fag breaks at work etc. Try and find something to replace the routine and it will slowly become easier. 

Also, the quit smoking apps are good to track the money saved for a bit of motivation. 

Youll probably find yourself snacking more - try and eat fruit, chew gum and keep yourself busy when you have cravings. 

Good luck, you'll feel so much better for it 

5 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I've been smoke-free for about 10 months now. Although I use a small vape pen now, but it's much better and cheaper than cigs. 

The most difficult for me, was breaking the routine; cigarette in the morning with a coffee, fag breaks at work etc. Try and find something to replace the routine and it will slowly become easier. 

Also, the quit smoking apps are good to track the money saved for a bit of motivation. 

Youll probably find yourself snacking more - try and eat fruit, chew gum and keep yourself busy when you have cravings. 

Good luck, you'll feel so much better for it 

How do you cope when you get a bevvie into you? 

50 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

How do you cope when you get a bevvie into you? 

Very tough at first, it's almost impossible to not give in. Probably best to avoid drink for a few weeks tbh. 

After time, the smell of smoke becomes repulsive and it easier to say no. I just make sure my ecig is fully charged. 

I think the lockdown helped as it minimised going out for drinks and the social aspect of smoking. 

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Well, day 1 nearly over. It's been quite tough.

I've had my patch on and had 3 lozenges, which isn't bad actually.

Had about 6 cups of coffee, which is 6 more than usual!

My biggest problem giving up before was not being able to sleep. So, I've got about half a packet of cigarettes left and I've made the decision to have 1 before bed, as I usually would.

From 15-20 a day down to one will do for the first week.

A slip back is NOT a fail. Worth remember ing. Every step forward is positive.

I quit smoking a while back (only smoked for about a year) and started vaping. I’ve just put my vape in the cupboard and going to try and go cold turkey. 

Been really stressed recently and not sleeping very well (ended up causing a relationship break up) and I’m sure nicotine played a part. 

So while I’ve got some time alone and nobody to be moody towards, I thought why not. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

On 04/01/2021 at 12:01, Samilktray said:

ive quit a few times but always end up smoking again. Only ever had success going cold turkey though. Biggest problem for me is really enjoying a cigarette with a beer, I could probably nail it permanently if I got past that 

Same for me but wine. I really can't have a drink without a cigarette, and my biggest problem is I don't really want to give up either, even though I know I should.

On 04/01/2021 at 12:05, Harrydc said:

Good luck mate. I smoked for 3 years and I'm around the 7 week smoke free mark. Everyone's different, I went the cold turkey route, it was hell. Especially if I've had a drink. Pubs being closed has helped with that though I guess., 

That's really good going, good luck and I hope you've cracked it

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Thank you! :)

The one piece of advice I would give you, and anyone else who has quit, is to try not to be tempted to 'just have one'. I gave up about 15 years ago for 18 months, and thought on a night out 'I'll just have the one'. Here I am now back on 20 a day, and it continues to be one of my biggest regrets. The first one was revolting too, and made me feel a bit sick. But stupidly I carried on, and before I knew it I was back to where I'd started. It really is one of the hardest things to do, and you're over the worst, now it's all about resisting temptation, which must be incredibly hard at the moment. Try and count the money you're saving, and feel proud of the massive achievement you've made already :)

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Same for me but wine. I really can't have a drink without a cigarette, and my biggest problem is I don't really want to give up either, even though I know I should.

People have been pestering me for years to give up and I never really wanted to. No point if your heart isn't in it. 

My father in law was diagnosed with cancer in the last few months, albeit non-smoking related.

But it makes you take stock of things and I'm mainly doing it for my Mrs and the step kids. 

We know they're losing one person in the next few years and it's hit them hard. So I'm thinking about my health and don't want them going through it again if I can help it.

• Like 1

It's possible that you'll never loose the craving but you will learn to control it. As has been suggested, replacing it with some other form of comfort or even indulgence may help.

For me the crystal meth was invaluable. 

• Haha 4

Guest Harrydc
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

The one piece of advice I would give you, and anyone else who has quit, is to try not to be tempted to 'just have one'. I gave up about 15 years ago for 18 months, and thought on a night out 'I'll just have the one'. Here I am now back on 20 a day, and it continues to be one of my biggest regrets. The first one was revolting too, and made me feel a bit sick. But stupidly I carried on, and before I knew it I was back to where I'd started. It really is one of the hardest things to do, and you're over the worst, now it's all about resisting temptation, which must be incredibly hard at the moment. Try and count the money you're saving, and feel proud of the massive achievement you've made already :)

That's some fantastic advice. About a month ago, I still had some cigarettes left and was about 7 cans of beer in, I thought to myself that "oh I'll treat myself, I've stopped for 3 weeks so why not" and was just about to light one when my housemate came outside and pulled it away from me. I was incredibly thankful the next mornining.