Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SeCrEt FoX

Goldeneye 007 xbox game pass

24 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Think I read only Switch has online MP which is what we want it for. Hope I was mistaken. 

No you're right, the Xbox version will be local split-screen only

It's all very bizarre. GoldenEye remaster was actually completed on the Xbox 360 but apparently Nintendo stepped in and had it pulled just before release claiming they owned the publishing rights to it. Years later and it's just the original version being released on Switch (with what appears to be online enabled split-screen), and a "remaster" for Xbox (which appears to just be the original game upscaled to HD/4K). The 360 remaster had reworked textures and you could switch between the original and remastered graphics on the fly, like the Halo collection. Almost certainly the online exclusivity on Switch being at Nintendo's demand

As revolutionary as GoldenEye was when it was released, I think the nostalgia value will quickly wear off for most people. It plays horrifically compared to modern FPSes, with your arm/gun just floating around the place

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

No you're right, the Xbox version will be local split-screen only

It's all very bizarre. GoldenEye remaster was actually completed on the Xbox 360 but apparently Nintendo stepped in and had it pulled just before release claiming they owned the publishing rights to it. Years later and it's just the original version being released on Switch (with what appears to be online enabled split-screen), and a "remaster" for Xbox (which appears to just be the original game upscaled to HD/4K). The 360 remaster had reworked textures and you could switch between the original and remastered graphics on the fly, like the Halo collection. Almost certainly the online exclusivity on Switch being at Nintendo's demand

As revolutionary as GoldenEye was when it was released, I think the nostalgia value will quickly wear off for most people. It plays horrifically compared to modern FPSes, with your arm/gun just floating around the place

Absolutely this. I loved sessioning 4-player local on N64 as much as anyone, but compared to some games from the era and earlier (platformers mainly), the gameplay just doesn't hold up in the same way. 

Goldeneye was amazing for years, but the internet obsession over it is a bit disingenuous, really. It seems like a meme these days, rather than genuine desire from people to play the game again. Plus the decision not to port to Xbox without online multiplayer support is bizarre.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Absolutely this. I loved sessioning 4-player local on N64 as much as anyone, but compared to some games from the era and earlier (platformers mainly), the gameplay just doesn't hold up in the same way. 

Goldeneye was amazing for years, but the internet obsession over it is a bit disingenuous, really, as is the decision not to port to Xbox without online multiplayer support. It seems like a meme these days, rather than genuine desire from people to play the game again.

Yeah, at the time I seem to mainly remember it being popular for being a film game that didn't suck, and the multiplayer was fun mainly because of how unfair it was if someone picked Oddjob, or having slaps-only matches was a laugh - graphics were good for the time but as with pretty much everything from the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation they look ridiculous now.

It certainly wasn't the be-all-and-end-all that some people make out these days

I do however like the story of its development at Rare (who had never developed an FPS) - started out as a 2D platformer before being canned, then restarted as an on-rails shooter. Apparently it was a very late decision to make it a normal FPS and the multiplayer was chucked together in a very short space of time, they must have had no idea how successful/acclaimed it would become

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...