Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
somebum

Matt O'Riley

https://www.teamtalk.com/leicester-city/sources-leicester-city-select-james-maddison-replacement-plotting-gut-wrenching-raid-celtic

Sources: Leicester City select James Maddison replacement by plotting gut-wrenching raid on Celtic
TEAMtalk staff 31 minutes ago

Leicester City are interested in Celtic midfielder Matt O’Riley and see him as a potential replacement for James Maddison, TEAMtalk understands.

Leicester are set to part company with Maddison this summer and they are already looking at alternatives and we understand one of those is O’Riley.

O’Riley, 22, joined Celtic from MK Dons in January 2022 for a fee of £1.5 million and has impressed hugely since his move north of the border.

Celtic are eager to hang onto O’Riley, who represents Denmark under-21s internationally, but know that they would struggle to turn down a good bid.

The Scottish champions are already having to deal with the departure of manager Ange Postecoglou to Tottenham and it has now become clear that they could lose one of their key players to an English side too.

O’Riley got 14 assists and four goals from 52 appearances in all competitions for Celtic this season. In fact, he was Postecoglou’s most-used player in 2022-23.

Coincidentally, Postecoglou’s new club Tottenham have been mentioned as one of the suitors to take Maddison away from Leicester.

In turn, the Foxes could deprive Celtic of one of their key players, despite O’Riley being under contract until 2026.

Back in 2019, Leicester took Celtic’s manager Brendan Rodgers away, but he lost his job at the King Power Stadium earlier this year.

Several squad changes afoot at Leicester City
Leicester are ready to rebuild their squad after suffering relegation to the Championship. Recently, they confirmed they will be releasing Youri Tielemans, Caglar Soyuncu, Daniel Amartey, Nampalys Mendy, Ryan Bertrand, Ayoze Perez and Tete.

Talks are ongoing with club captain Jonny Evans about extending his deal beyond this month.

In terms of player sales, Maddison could be the biggest Leicester have to make after losing their Premier League status. The attacking midfielder has scored 203 appearances during his time with the club, scoring 55 goals and assisting 41 more.

At the age of 26, it would make sense from his perspective to continue in the top flight, so Leicester will have to react accordingly if they are to lose their number 10.

O’Riley, who was born in west London and came through the ranks at Fulham before making his name with MK Dons and earning his chance with Celtic, has been identified as someone who could fit the bill as a successor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, les-tah said:

We are now the the team that needs to find these gems for £1.5 Million (his initial move to celtic).. We cant compete with premier league teams like the Brightons anymore.

Agreed. We'll have the best part of £100m to sign upwards of 15 players. We need to use it wisely.

10 minutes ago, les-tah said:

We are now the the team that needs to find these gems for £1.5 Million (his initial move to celtic).. We cant compete with premier league teams like the Brightons anymore.

I agree entirely about finding them for next to nothing it’s in our history we do that - Vardy, Mahrez, Kante et Al.

It’s also a fair comment if Prem clubs are in we don’t have much hope, but what would you see his price tag being? Because if we get our business done early in my eyes we could get this over the line with a better package and playing opportunities. 

I think squad status is a big thing if he were to sign for Brighton, they have already pretty much sold McAllister and Caicedo will go, they’ve got Dahoud going in on a free and Milner and I don’t see it stopping there, so where would he fit? I think he’d be in a rotation where as here for me he’d start in our midfield.

I believe he left Fulham for MK Dons when he was slightly younger because he wanted to play first team football and did well getting his move to Celtic. 

These are the types of low fee, high quality signings we can get. Someone mentioned on another post Nesbit (no not Rab C.) from Hibernian as well, if we have to dip into these types of markets to unearth these players let’s have a go. 

Edited by SB87_LCFC
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. We'll have the best part of £100m to sign upwards of 15 players. We need to use it wisely.

Works out around £6.5m each if we was to sign 15 players with no free agents. 

I feel we need 11 players personally on the assumption we will be playing a 4-3-3:

2x centre backs

1x holding midfielder 

2x centre mids

2x CAM

2x Left winger

1x right winger

1x Striker 

Would work out around £9m per player for 11 players at a spend of £100m 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd assume there will be 2/3 free transfers and 2/3 loans in amongst that though so that potentially come down to £10m a signing. 

On 06/06/2023 at 19:17, davieG said:

Maddison could be the biggest Leicester have to make after losing their Premier League status. The attacking midfielder has scored 203 appearances during his time with the club, scoring 55 goals and assisting 41 more.

I assume those stats are right?

They're astoundingly good.