Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

2023 in music

Quite liking the story threading through the singles the Reytons have been releasing ready for the new album dropping next week. Hopefully another big year for the lads. Love that they're producing great music, tours and videos all off their own backs with no label support.

37 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Hang on a moment, these aren't a parody?!

They're a legitimate band in their own rights haha. Definitely drew on an early Arctic Monkeys sound with their early demos but I think that was literally then getting together and jamming.

Definitely becoming better and better and Jonny writes some top lyrics. They're playing the Sheffield Arena in September, sold out 80% so far I believe.

This is a decent watch if you have 25 minutes to spare.

36 minutes ago, filbertway said:

They're a legitimate band in their own rights haha. Definitely drew on an early Arctic Monkeys sound with their early demos but I think that was literally then getting together and jamming.

Definitely becoming better and better and Jonny writes some top lyrics. They're playing the Sheffield Arena in September, sold out 80% so far I believe.

This is a decent watch if you have 25 minutes to spare.

Good Christ 

• Haha 2

On 27/01/2023 at 16:51, filbertway said:

Parody band The Reytons secure number 1 in the album charts! Go on lads! ALL REYTONS!

Made up for them! There'll be a few hangovers tomorrow :D

They have a shop in Meadowhall. Im not buying this all off their own back stuff tbh.

Edited by SemperEadem

4 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

They have a shop in Meadowhall. Im not buying this all off their own back stuff tbh.

Aye they sorted a pop up shop for the week, they were in there the week before painting and decorating it. 

Which part are you not buying or suspicious of? Having been following them for 2/3 years I'm intrigued to see what you've seen that I'm missing haha. They've managed to build up a very good following through word of mouth, gigging and the magic of music streaming. 

Highly recommend the doc they put together for the release of the first album.

Honestly lads, I can't believe what I'm reading lol A CAAAAANT SPAAKE!! 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Aye they sorted a pop up shop for the week, they were in there the week before painting and decorating it. 

Which part are you not buying or suspicious of? Having been following them for 2/3 years I'm intrigued to see what you've seen that I'm missing haha. They've managed to build up a very good following through word of mouth, gigging and the magic of music streaming. 

Highly recommend the doc they put together for the release of the first album.

Honestly lads, I can't believe what I'm reading lol A CAAAAANT SPAAKE!! 

Im suspicious of how you go from giging in the Doncaster back waters to number 1 with no record label in this day and age whilst being imho pretty lame.

I have mates in the local area to them who again in my opinion are streets above it and got to the sad point in the record industry where talent only gets you so far and it just becomes about how much money you can throw at it. Look at The Sherlocks as an example. Hit a glass ceiling then the two families pooled cash and then wham get a support slot with Noel G.

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Im suspicious of how you go from giging in the Doncaster back waters to number 1 with no record label in this day and age whilst being imho pretty lame.

I have mates in the local area to them who again in my opinion are streets above it and got to the sad point in the record industry where talent only gets you so far and it just becomes about how much money you can throw at it. Look at The Sherlocks as an example. Hit a glass ceiling then the two families pooled cash and then wham get a support slot with Noel G.

I don't know, do you think someone is paying actors to go to their gigs? I've watched them at the academy, magna, Y not (only band that had the crowd 10 deep outside the tent) and will be watching them at sheffield arena, the crowd all seemed very real and into them haha.

I think they've had 2 plays on radio 1 and that was the Jack Saunders show. So I'm not sure what this investor is spending the money on the get their name out there.

Doesn't take many album sales to get someone number 1 these days I suppose. If you've got a core fanbase that all wants to see the band succeed then you'll likely get buying albums. I've purchased 2 albums in the last 5 years. One was the Sherlocks and one was the Reytons. Both bands I'd been aware of for 2/3 years before their album came out. 

Sherlocks built up a fan base by touring the country relentlessly for years.  https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-sherlocks-new-uk-tour-1860690 Look at that from 2017. 

Also which bands are your mates in? Always up for some new music, especially from that area of the country.

I'd fancy that if they're streets above The Reytons and a lot of people think the same. As long they put in the hours gigging, creating content and getting their name spread then they'll grow. Reytons are coming into their 6/7th year as a band I think so it takes time.

Also on new bands, a few i'm hoping to see this year are CVC, M60 and The Public Eye

Bit late as it's a 2022 release but loving the Mysterines album. Will definitely be getting to Old Trafford early when they support Arctic Monkeys.

To wade into the Reytons debate, I also gave them my first listen today and was utterly underwhelmed.

Probably works for you if you were under five when 'Whatever People Say I Am...' came out, but ain't the lead singer in his late 30s? Was disappointed given the hype I'd seen.

Edited by Voll Blau

13 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Bit late as it's a 2022 release but loving the Mysterines album. Will definitely be getting to Old Trafford early when they support Arctic Monkeys.

Cracking album the Mysterines have, they had a pretty good end to 2022, hopefully they continue to step it up in 2023.

Seen them a couple of times and enjoyed them. My only issue that when I'm listening to them live, every single song seems to merge and it just seems to become one long song lol Not sure if it's because the songs all sounds so similar or if it's because I've not known most of the songs particularly well either time I saw them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Cracking album the Mysterines have, they had a pretty good end to 2022, hopefully they continue to step it up in 2023.

Seen them a couple of times and enjoyed them. My only issue that when I'm listening to them live, every single song seems to merge and it just seems to become one long song lol Not sure if it's because the songs all sounds so similar or if it's because I've not known most of the songs particularly well either time I saw them.

Think I get what you mean, can see that being the case. Not sure a huge outdoor arena will be the best place to judge their live ability, though they seem to have a big enough sound to pull off decent-sized venues so we'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Think I get what you mean, can see that being the case. Not sure a huge outdoor arena will be the best place to judge their live ability, though they seem to have a big enough sound to pull off decent-sized venues so we'll see.

I just remember at 2 points ready to sing the words to one song and then it turned out to be a different one. 

The Y Not performance was clearer to be fair but I was lay outside the tent with my eyes closed as I was trying to power through a bitch of a hangover lol

Lia Metcalfe is some bit as well

Chance meeting in Home Bargains changes the lives of four people from  Merseyside - Liverpool Echo

Seeing Courteeners in Heaton Park on 9th June. Really hoping I can get my hands on Hillsborough tickets for the 10th June. Seeing Courteeners and Arctic Monkeys playing hometown gigs in the same weekend would probably be the peak of my live music attending career.

• Like 1