Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Multiple Sclerosis

My stepdad has had MS for over 20 years. Not sure what his initial symptoms were but I think he had to have a brain scan to confirm things. This was back in 2001 so can't really remember. He kept on working for quite a few years after the diagnosis but had to give up maybe 7 or 8 years ago as mobility got more difficult. He can barely walk a few metres now so its a wheelchair job to get him about, he also has only partial hearing on one side due to MS. Think there are different severities of MS and has a grading system, he's at the worst stage now unfortunately.

NHS have dedicated MS nurses and there is a MS therapy centre close to the KP (Freemans Common) so there is support if you're based in Leicestershire and MS is diagnosed.

My mother had an MS diagnosis shortly after I was born. My family have "lived with it" for most of my life.

Echoing sentiments elsewhere, I really hope this isn't your diagnosis. That said, medical science has advanced a lot since I was born and the prognosis is a lot different now.

If you or anyone else wants to discuss, it may be more appropriate via DM. Feel free to message me on here if you want to talk.

• Like 3

My partner has it.  I'm not sure I can say anything about her condition that would do anything but worry you.

My partner has progressive MS & it has developed rapidly.  I can't remember exactly when it was diagnosed, but I'd say about 6 years ago.  I had to give up work about 18 months ago to become her full time carer. 

As others have said there are many different kinds of MS & severity can differ wildly.  There would be no use worrying too much at this stage.