Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

‘Feed the scousers’ - and best ways to change football culture from within as a fanbase

I posted something about ‘Feed the scousers’ on another forum, but I think it warrants its own thread - specifically if you find it abhorrent, like I do.  I think the majority of our fanbase would probably want it consigned to the historical dustbin. BUT it was clear from the last game at Anfield that a sizeable part of our away end were more than happy to sing it with relish. 
So I guess the question is what practical steps can we take to perhaps regulate ourselves to move away from singing it? Not because outsiders are telling us to stop - but because the majority of us perhaps want it to stop. 

Do people actually want to keep it? (I was tempted to do an anonymous poll). A few on here over they years say things like ‘I don’t condone it BUT…’ or ‘I don’t like it but it’s just part of football culture and anything that needles their fans is fair game and getting rid of it makes our away end sanitised, which is the last thing we want, which is in fact condoning it. 

Personally, I feel we need a cultural change from within. Does that start with people who don’t like it asking those who do sing it to stop? Or perhaps another kind of protest like a flag that says ‘This chant is not in my name’. Would either of these be safe to do that in your opinion? Does it need a a statement from a fan group like Union FS? Are they against it? Or not?

Not that we’ll be playing Liverpool any time soon! Just the topic of changing football culture interests me. I feel the only solution is that we self regulate - but how best?

Edited by An Away Move
  • Like 1

I was saying the other day to some mates that the best thing about being relegated is the lack of teams from liverpool to play against so we don’t have to hear the morons embarrassing our club singing “feed the scousers” and “always the victim”. 

• Like 4

They just want to wind up other fans.

It's a shame they're too stupid to see they're mocking families in Leicestershire too.

When I was a kid families in Leicestershire were ashamed of only being able to borrow toys for their kids.

Now a large nuumber in Leicestershire can't afford to keep their kids healthy.

And we mock that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just tell us what to sing, what to wear,how to behave, how to celebrate, which badges we should wear on our lapels and when(poppies, LGBTQ rainbow flag etc) and then we might not offend anyone ever at all....

• Sad 1

Just now, KFS said:

I personally don’t give a **** and don’t know why you would. Racism, sexism, homophobia all still an issue and yet you’re all over this? Bizarre really.

The reason we should give a **** is outlined by @Foxxed in the post directly below yours. Might reading and comprehending it change your mind after some reflection? 

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

Just tell us what to sing, what to wear,how to behave, how to celebrate, which badges we should wear on our lapels and when(poppies, LGBTQ rainbow flag etc) and then we might not offend anyone ever at all....

I’m not telling you to do anything. Just asking a question about whether it’s time to move forwards from a 1980s chant. 
Are you for the chant Raj?

What about ten German bombers? International banter doesn’t get picked up on here. Which is surprising because if they had their way, you’d need a passport to enter the Wirral 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

They seemed to be more upset at Jurgen Klopp is an ex defender chant last season. Was he a holding midfielder who did a job at CB and forever got tarnished?

Brilliant! See. It’s so much better when we get more creative compared to being stuck in the 1980s!

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

Putting forth an argument as to why a chant mocks families in Leicestershire isn't the same as sending you to a re-education through labour camp, Raj.

Looks like you're all to ready to act the victim. You're not... you know... a... a... scouser are you???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

What about ten German bombers? International banter doesn’t get picked up on here. Which is surprising because if they had their way, you’d need a passport to enter the Wirral 

More whataboutery! You didn’t answer my question about whether you are for chanting Feed the Scousers. Yes or no is quite simple. And it would be quite good to debate with those who do support keeping it. Right now it’s like engaging with a bucket of frogs. You ask a question and there’s loads of hopping about changing the subject.

Edited by An Away Move

Just now, An Away Move said:

More whataboutery! You didn’t answer my question about whether you are for chanting. Yes or no is quite simple. And it would be quite good to debate with those who do support keeping it. Right now it’s like engaging with a bucket of frogs. You ask a question and there’s loads of hopping about changing the subject.

Am I for the practice of chanting at a football match? Sure