Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

‘Feed the scousers’ - and best ways to change football culture from within as a fanbase

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Putting forth an argument as to why a chant mocks families in Leicestershire isn't the same as sending you to a re-education through labour camp, Raj.

Looks like you're all to ready to act the victim. You're not... you know... a... a... scouser are you???

WTF are you bumbling on about???

In fact leave it, I'm off out...

4 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Maybe you can answer my post now it’s been edited? Or you and I will just leave it because all you’ve added is off topic. 

Yes let’s leave it my friend. “Ask stupid questions…” comes to mind.

have a nice day 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

I personally don’t give a **** and don’t know why you would. Racism, sexism, homophobia all still an issue and yet you’re all over this? Bizarre really.

I'm confused by this post. Surely if you're against those things you'd also be against making light of poverty?

• Like 3

I was at the game at Anfield and yes I feel it was embarrassing and wrong.

A Liverpool fan spoke to me about it at work the next day and I felt ashamed of our fan base. I've noticed a lot more coked up people at away games where there seems to be very little interest in attending the game for the football, more seeing it as an excuse to get off their face. Not sure if it's connected. 

• Like 4

The stupidest thing about it is that it often drives their fans, and hence team, on. Much like vardy at wba (which I can’t wait for next season). Literally handing the other team a competitive advantage by your own stupidity. Luckily it’s a tiny minority of fans so all the ‘society’s a shambles mate people are a shambles’ thoughts are equally stupid 

39 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I've noticed a lot more coked up people at away games where there seems to be very little interest in attending the game for the football, more seeing it as an excuse to get off their face. Not sure if it's connected. 

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The stupidest thing about it is that it often drives their fans, and hence team, on. Much like vardy at wba (which I can’t wait for next season). Literally handing the other team a competitive advantage by your own stupidity. Luckily it’s a tiny minority of fans so all the ‘society’s a shambles mate people are a shambles’ thoughts are equally stupid 

It wasn't a tiny minority singing it though 

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

My brother in Christ, we are not unique in this.

They hear this every week. Leicester isn't a Tory city and most of the lads singing it probably don't have much in the way of a political consciousness anyway; I certainly can't remember L1 serenading Liverpool fans about the virtues of economic neoliberalism or sharing Tory manifestos at Anfield.

It's a shit, tired attempt to get a rise out of people by picking at something they know winds them up. 

Im not sure you know.
Can’t really say how I gauge this as im not really sure myself but I think we give it far more than say Brighton do.

There's a lot of performative cruelty in society at the moment. I don't really know to what extent this has always been the case or whether it's got worse recently, but so much of modern life from politics to TV shows to football chants is just ugly, resentment-fueled nastiness dressed up depending on the context as 'banter' or straight-talking or even entertainment. And a seeming unawareness from many of those abusive people that anything they say could actually hurt others. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

You’ll never, ever cut it out. For every person that disagrees with it, there will be someone that thinks it’s appropriate. It’s normally started by the lads that are coked up and thinking it’s banter. 10/15 years ago, you could get away with it a lot more, but in this day and age pretty much anything is offensive to someone In the world, apart from Liverpool fans singing about the Munich air disaster. That’s apparently fine. 

It's all to get a rise from their fans, which they deliver every time without fail, which contributes to our fans trying even harder to get a rise next time. It's nowhere near as deep as they make it out to be even if you don't like it.

I've no sympathy for them or their hypocritical fans. They're happy to give it as much as anybody (even if it's not necessarily about us - not that I'd care if they did). They'll sing about deaths, which are approved in their eyes because they don't like them (again, don't even mind that) but if you sing anything about them it's a part of some wider thing.

Put it this way, sing always the victims to them, they'll play the victim off the back of it assuming it's about something that it isn't, therefore validating the point entirely.

It's just simply not that deep.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's all to get a rise from their fans, which they deliver every time without fail, which contributes to our fans trying even harder to get a rise next time. It's nowhere near as deep as they make it out to be even if you don't like it.

I've no sympathy for them or their hypocritical fans. They're happy to give it as much as anybody (even if it's not necessarily about us - not that I'd care if they did). They'll sing about deaths, which are approved in their eyes because they don't like them (again, don't even mind that) but if you sing anything about them it's a part of some wider thing.

Put it this way, sing always the victims to them, they'll play the victim off the back of it assuming it's about something that it isn't, therefore validating the point entirely.

It's just simply not that deep.

Football isn't separate from societal division and I've next to no idea why someone would think it would be because it's obvious IMO.

13 hours ago, Bert said:

You’ll never, ever cut it out.

Think this is the key bit. I just can't see it dying down. We can espouse the "cokeheads" who attend games but we know that even if they hadn't had a sniff or even so much as a unit of alcohol this would probably still be chanted.

I also suspect one of the things that doesn't help is that we always seemed to play Liverpool or Everton over Xmas. I can think of several seasons recently where we've had at least one of them when the tune is fitting to the time of year. Not an excuse, but does, I think, exacerbate the issue as it reinforces the fact we do it when we do it consistently.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Think this is the key bit. I just can't see it dying down. We can espouse the "cokeheads" who attend games but we know that even if they hadn't had a sniff or even so much as a unit of alcohol this would probably still be chanted.

I also suspect one of the things that doesn't help is that we always seemed to play Liverpool or Everton over Xmas. I can think of several seasons recently where we've had at least one of them when the tune is fitting to the time of year. Not an excuse, but does, I think, exacerbate the issue as it reinforces the fact we do it when we do it consistently.

Yeah, you’re spot on. The thing with football chants, it literally only takes one person and if others think “yeah that’s gonna antagonise them” they’ll join in. Liverpool fans are also part of the problem in a very weird way, they sing songs about other clubs which are offensive to some and I would say 9/10 if they didn’t chant them they wouldn’t get half as much back. Not that that makes it right at all. 

Mentioned this in another thread recently. Would never sing this kind of stuff myself and find it all incredibly boring.

But... at the end of the day, there's a reason it's only ever sung at fans of the Merseyside teams, and not "Feed the Leicester/Cockneys/Brummies/Geordies" etc and that's because they get so publicly wound up about it. Poverty exists in major cities across the country and it's a great stain on our nation that it does, but I reckon most other fanbases would see shit chants like that for what it is - crap, unimaginative banter and nothing more.

At least there's no chance of us playing a Merseyside team this Christmas, eh? Condolences with the Scouser-obsessed lads for whom that seems to be the highlight of their year.