Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Levein On Defeat

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~753420,00.html

Craig Levein was left 'disappointed, angry and frustrated' following Leicester's 3-2 defeat at the hands of Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Friday evening.

The Foxes took the lead in spectacular fashion through Joey Gudjonsson with 21 minutes on the clock - the Icelandic international midfielder hammering home a clever free kick from fully 30 yards.

Leicester continued to press - but a penalty from Paul Gallagher 16 minutes later for the home side meant it was all-square at the break.

Levein's men came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, and Elvis Hammond did well to get on the end of an Iain Hume through ball to make it 2-1 on 47 minutes.

But goals from Mamady Sidibe and Sam Bangoura in three mad minutes would seal Leicester's fate.

Levein said: "We threw that match away. I'm disappointed, frustrated and I am angry.

"I have been saying recently that we have been playing well, and again we have played reasonably tonight.

"I don't know what the stats are, but I am sure we had more shots on goal and all the usual stuff than they did. But what matters is they have come out of the game with more points than we have.

"We have lost two goals in three minutes to unopposed crosses to unmarked players in the penalty box. They were bad goals to lose. We threw away the match and the points.

"If I'd been offered two goals at the start of the game then I would have taken that. But maybe four goals won't be enough if we defend like that."

will he make any changes? i doubt it; Rab will still be in against Crewe, NEJ may come back (unfortunatly); the sooner Paddy's suspension is over the better, he takes control and is a good defender, takes no messing, and is what we need in the back four!!

In January, it's not just a stiker we need, we need a decent defender to go with Paddy :ph34r:

will he make any changes? i doubt it; Rab will still be in against Crewe, NEJ may come back (unfortunatly); the sooner Paddy's suspension is over the better, he takes control and is a good defender, takes no messing, and is what we need in the back four!!

In January, it's not just a stiker we need, we need a decent defender to go with Paddy :ph34r:

what about gerrbrand he is a quality defender and has done well wiv paddy

Gerrbrand and paddy are the partnership. Gerrbrand is a quality player, o.k, tonight wasn't his best, but we don't need anyone else.

Levein said: "We threw that match away. I'm disappointed, frustrated and I am angry.

When you say "we", craig, do you mean the whole team, or the lack of defensive duties?

"But what matters is they have come out of the game with more points than we have.

Didnt we even get one, OW, its not fair :ermm:

"We have lost two goals in three minutes to unopposed crosses to unmarked players in the penalty box. They were bad goals to lose. We threw away the match and the points.

Did dublin say sorry and mean it? I rather think dublin should refund the blue army for supporting him tonight.

"If I'd been offered two goals at the start of the game then I would have taken that. But maybe four goals won't be enough if we defend like that."

Does this mean you`ll atlast show dubs the door, that leads him as far away as poss from filbert way?

Not debating Paddy n Gerrerbrand aren't the partnership, it just worries me, when the only cover we really have for cb is a foward

I think Johansson is good enough cover. Actually aswell I think I should add I thought Maybury had a fairly decent game today, I must admit though I think I'd like to see Sheehan come on every so often as a sub at LB or something.. hes a danger at set pieces aswell which we dont really have much of at the moment... I know joey scored from one more or less today but normally they just seem to pelt the wall it'd be nice to see someone who can curve it over the wall etc when the chance arises. I'm not so sure about starting him already yet though =/

Everything CL has said in that statement is so true, shame he didn't have a moan about Momo Sylla not tracking back ;)

The reason I wanted Maybury at right back and Stearman at right midfield (with Sylla on the bench) was prcisely because of what happened tonight.

Sylla affects nothing. He is inconsequential.

Our biggest problem tonight was always going to be Bangoura and the only way for us to deal with him was to cut his source of supply. It is elementary.

Had Maybury and Stearman been operating on the right side they'd have worked in tandem, Stearman would never have been nutmegged in an exposed position like Sylla and the cross that led to the goal would never have arisen.

I doubt they'd have had any crosses from there side.

Their second goal also came from a cross this time from the opposite side, where, once again we had a man playing out of position.

For neither of Stoke's headed goals could you really blame the marking. Both scorers were closely marked - City were victims of two excellent strikes. But we knew where the threat lay and failed to cut it out.

PS: Pos match comment from Gerrbrand - "We must stop crosses from coming into the box".

Glad we're on the same wavelength.

Yet ANOTHER game needlessly thrown away. There have already been far too many this season.

What is the manager going to do about it?

What worries me is the fact that Levein was supposed to have tightened up our defence, which we saw signs of. Then he said he would work on our strikeforce and I think we have seen signs of that working too but our defence have started to leak goals too. If we are going to improve as a team we will need both parts of our team to start producing at the same time. It's no use forgetting how to defend whilst trying to sharpen our attack.

i think levein should drop rab douglas he is a rubbish players he fast and to slow now. Bring in Paul henderson he is a brillant keeper.

Douglas has always been on borrowed time. I said after week one he was a disaster but since then he has never done anything to cost us games so the feelings of uncertainly he always creates were hard to substantiate.

Someone said he'd drop a brick today and he did. But not just for the penalty (which was far more the result of a bad defensive header in the first place) but his general lack of command.

Apart from cutting out crosses into the box, another way of neutralising a striker like Bangoura is to defend outside the penalty box (so he too far from goal to score headers) but you can only do that if your keeper is fast enough and aware enough to cover the space between centre-backs and goal.

Douglas shows no signs of ever commanding that space so that he effectively acts as a third centre-back but one who can use his hands.

We must have a better alternative.

Douglas has always been on borrowed time. I said after week one he was a disaster but since then he has never done anything to cost us games so the feelings of uncertainly he always creates were hard to substantiate.

Someone said he'd drop a brick today and he did. But not just for the penalty (which was far more the result of a bad defensive header in the first place) but his general lack of command.

Apart from cutting out crosses into the box, another way of neutralising a striker like Bangoura is to defend outside the penalty box (so he too far from goal to score headers) but you can only do that if your keeper is fast enough and aware enough to cover the space between centre-backs and goal.

Douglas shows no signs of ever commanding that space so that he effectively acts as a third centre-back but one who can use his hands.

We must have a better alternative.

How tall is douglas? I read on here Walker is shorter but I swear if he is that Rab has something wrong with his diving. I know stokes equaliser was a quality power header but his dive seemed a bit crap IMO, he didnt go very far with it, also he never seems to get far diving at penalties even though he picks the right direction more often than not.. If theres ones thing I would like to see changed at the moment, replacing douglas would be my priority. Play Henderson for now atleast, give him a chance and if he fails to impress then it's always a possibility to bring another goalkeeper in at some point.

Had Maybury and Stearman been operating on the right side they'd have worked in tandem, Stearman would never have been nutmegged in an exposed position like Sylla and the cross that led to the goal would never have arisen.

But their 2nd goal came from the left. Doesnt matter who plays on the wings, eventually a cross will get by you, and it is then therefor the job of the defense to deal with it, that didnt happen, and we lost.

How tall is douglas?

According to the OS, he is 6' 3" but I'd say he is more like 6' 4"

(at least that makes me feel taller :P )

I read on here Walker is shorter but I swear if he is that Rab has something wrong with his diving. I know stokes equaliser was a quality power header but his dive seemed a bit crap IMO, he didnt go very far with it, also he never seems to get far diving at penalties even though he picks the right direction more often than not..

In what sense do you see a connection between how tall he is and his diving?

If theres ones thing I would like to see changed at the moment, replacing douglas would be my priority. Play Henderson for now atleast, give him a chance and if he fails to impress then it's always a possibility to bring another goalkeeper in at some point.

I'd give Henderson a chance too at this stage... (incidentally, his diving seems better) :P

How tall is douglas? I read on here Walker is shorter but I swear if he is that Rab has something wrong with his diving. I know stokes equaliser was a quality power header but his dive seemed a bit crap IMO, he didnt go very far with it, also he never seems to get far diving at penalties even though he picks the right direction more often than not.. If theres ones thing I would like to see changed at the moment, replacing douglas would be my priority. Play Henderson for now atleast, give him a chance and if he fails to impress then it's always a possibility to bring another goalkeeper in at some point.

To be fair, I remember seeing Walks do some rather poor dives during his time with us. He used to do his dive where he started to go to ground as the ball was passing him. Up at Bolton a couple of seasons ago, a Ricketts header, that one springs to mind, but I'm not going to slag Walker off as a keeper. He was excellent for us during his time, head and shoulders above Rab. Literally head and shoulders above him when it comes to claiming corners!

According to the OS, he is 6' 3" but I'd say he is more like 6' 4"

(at least that makes me feel taller :P )

In what sense do you see a connection between how tall he is and his diving?

I'd give Henderson a chance too at this stage... (incidentally, his diving seems better) :P

I duno - I just assume that a tall bloke would be able to cover more of the goal particular when diving. His diving is almost like seeing an old lady blown over by the wind...

I'm not saying that CL has to go here.. but he seems to be a 'one or the other manager'. He can either set up a team to play for a nil nil and lose one nil. Or to score a few goals... and lose 2-1 or 3-2.

He talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk.

I feel for him because the players threw that away tonight but at the end of the day, they are his players playing his tactics and the buck stocks with him.

He's said he's angry a lot of times, doesn't seem to make many odds. I get angry too, doesn't make us play any better. I like Craig and I liked the way we played tonight. I just didn't like the result. Unfortunately that's been the place many times this season and last season.

I'm not gonna go much further simply because I've had a few beers and I'm being a bit reactive but the result tonight just wasn't good enough and the defending was of the lacadesical nature we grew accustomed to during MA's reign.

Pull your socks up boys. You're better than Stoke. You know that, we know that, they fu cking know that. Pull your fuc king socks up.

Archived