Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan K

Dave Basset

Hi.

I'm a journalist in Southampton, and I'm looking to have a chat with a Foxes fan about Dave Basset's time at the club, and what Leicester fans think of him.

Is there anyone who wouldn't me giving them a ring sometime this afternoon for a quick five minute chat about Basset?

Many thanks,

Hi.

I'm a journalist in Southampton, and I'm looking to have a chat with a Foxes fan about Dave Basset's time at the club, and what Leicester fans think of him.

Is there anyone who wouldn't me giving them a ring sometime this afternoon for a quick five minute chat about Basset?

Many thanks,

Dave Bassest is brilliant, he did wonders for Leicester.

I think the above poster means dinosaur.

He was kinda handy in terms of getting some players in to play for nothing when we were in the sh ite because he does just know everyone in football. To be honest, he was never going to be the man to take us forward in the short term. I think that anyone who hires him now, really does so seeing him as an 'adequate' short term solution in a given role.

I think the above poster means dinosaur.

He was kinda handy in terms of getting some players in to play for nothing when we were in the sh ite because he does just know everyone in football. To be honest, he was never going to be the man to take us forward in the short term. I think that anyone who hires him now, really does so seeing him as an 'adequate' short term solution in a given role.

I stand corrected, although he was a bit of a girl's blouse ;)

Hi.

Many thanks,

Did alot of good work at the club :thumbup:

Hi.

Many thanks,

Basset seems a nice guy but I could never understand his director of football role. In short, I am glad we got rid of him and do not think he will take you forwards. Maybe he is just a short-term stop gap before Clive Woodward is appointed.

iirc he brought Deane and Dickov (for 50k or something) to the club who were both instrumental in the last promotion season. He therefore did some worthwhile things whilst here but echoing peoples' sentiments, he can never be considered as anything more than a short term solution.

Remember the Bassett/Wilkinson 'dream team' - we think we've got a raw deal at the moment!

iirc he brought Deane and Dickov (for 50k or something) to the club who were both instrumental in the last promotion season. He therefore did some worthwhile things whilst here but echoing peoples' sentiments, he can never be considered as anything more than a short term solution.

Remember the Bassett/Wilkinson 'dream team' - we think we've got a raw deal at the moment!

Yes but remember he brought them both in to keep us in the Premiership, Deane for certain wasn't up to that.

If you were available, over 30, and Basset was friendly with your agent, you were a perfect fit to play for Leicester during his tenure and the three of you would get a decent pay day.

I'm glad Levein wouldn't have a director of football--this club's in debt, and already having the likes of Nikos Dabizas on the squad, the last thing they needed was to pay another unnecessary salary :D

If you were available, over 30, and Basset was friendly with your agent, you were a perfect fit to play for Leicester during his tenure and the three of you would get a decent pay day.

I'm glad Levein wouldn't have a director of football--this club's in debt, and already having the likes of Nikos Dabizas on the squad, the last thing they needed was to pay another unnecessary salary :D

Interesting to note that under Dave "I can do a job" Bassett we paid the highest fees to agents after Leeds

Interesting to note that under Dave "I can do a job" Bassett we paid the highest fees to agents after Leeds

I think that was based on what was spent on agents fees when we were in the Premiership in 2004, and then we were compared against other Nationwide clubs after being relegated. It was no surprise that Leeds, us and Wolves (the relegated trio) were the top 3 for agent fees in 2004. I think this was the case, can't be arsed to look back on it.

As for Bassett, pretty much what Davie said. He isn't up to scratch for modern day football, his methods and ideas are outdated. Deane and Dickov were wise purchases, as he recognised we had very little chance in staying in the Premier League and prepared for the following season well in advance. He can still just about cut it at Championship level, but Southampton would be better off looking long term.

I don't think many City fans look back on Bassett's tenure as a "golden age" I can't remember much about the alternative candidates at the time he was appointed I guess he was seen as the safe option and someone who wouldn't frighten the horses.

I'd be much more concerned about Wise getting involved even though he has a connection with the saints in his early playing days. He is a loathsome poisonous and hateful gnome - if he gets into the management of the club be very afraid

IMO he did an excellant job at the club. Without him at the club I don't think we would have been able to sign players of such hig calibre. Micky raved about him, and insisted he had his contract renewed before he would sign his own contract extension.

IMO he did an excellant job at the club. Without him at the club I don't think we would have been able to sign players of such hig calibre. Micky raved about him, and insisted he had his contract renewed before he would sign his own contract extension.

The players he signed were not high calibre, they may have been once but not when we signed them, I could've signed them they were happy to take the Bassett Shillings. As for Micky insisting he's contract was extend, well what a surprise, it was Bassett that got Micky the job in the first place.

If we'd have signed a decent Manager after Taylor we could still have stayed up, I think even MAs could have done a better job than Bassett at the time, Bassett contaminated MAs with his ineptitude, short-sitedness and archaic ideas. Remember the Bolton game, live on TV - cue Bassett after Muzzy's red card " what shall I do, oh Micky what shall I do".

One Useless PLANK.

Archived