Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Camping

41 minutes ago, MPH said:

yeah there’s some big national parks and national forests all over the place. My favorite local place is called The Uwharrie National Forest. It’s on the edge of Badin lake. You can either get a spot  at a campsite .. toilets, showers, ect or you can wild camp in other places for free... waking up next to a massive lake 10 times bigger than Rutland waters  as the sunrises, steam  coming off the lake as fish jump out the water… you can’t beat it

these are from my favorite wild camping spot..

Awesome. What a beautiful spot!

Love it! There's definitely an otherwise unnatainable feeling that I get, waking up in the middle of nowhere during a trip. Peace, quiet and a lack of any usual responsibilities. Like waking up as a master of meditation.

Definitely a caveat on that for me though with regards to rain. Certainly not as peaceful waking up to cook food and break camp after a stormy night.

I'd love to have more forests available over here. I find being out in the mountains absolutely amazing, but I took a trip to New Zealand previously and some of my favourite areas were amongst the trees. Often with a river nearby, making for some outrageously comfortable spots. Need to get about exploring Europe more. Saving to hopefully buy a van at some point in the next year, and might be able to better access some locations.

32 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I love a bit of camping, and I’m toying with the idea of doing a bit of wild camping. 

I’ve been scoping out backpacking tents, and I reckon the Vango Banshee 200 is the best pound for pound. May invest.

Only suitable for 1.

Get the 300 if there is 2 of you. Only weighs a few hundred grams more and considerably more roomy.

Also special mention of a jetboil over any other stove.

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

Only suitable for 1.

Get the 300 if there is 2 of you. Only weighs a few hundred grams more and considerably more roomy.

This would be for just me. I already have larger tents.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

Awesome. What a beautiful spot!

Love it! There's definitely an otherwise unnatainable feeling that I get, waking up in the middle of nowhere during a trip. Peace, quiet and a lack of any usual responsibilities. Like waking up as a master of meditation.

Definitely a caveat on that for me though with regards to rain. Certainly not as peaceful waking up to cook food and break camp after a stormy night.

I'd love to have more forests available over here. I find being out in the mountains absolutely amazing, but I took a trip to New Zealand previously and some of my favourite areas were amongst the trees. Often with a river nearby, making for some outrageously comfortable spots. Need to get about exploring Europe more. Saving to hopefully buy a van at some point in the next year, and might be able to better access some locations.

if I’m going camping in slightly dodgy weather where there is a chance of rain, I usually take. Tarp with me and some kind of paracord and tie it  round some trees above my tent so it keeps like 10 sq ft area dry around my tent.

On 19/04/2024 at 22:15, MPH said:

Watched his video where he camped on the top of Ben Nevis. I’d love to do this on my own but having watched hundreds of horror films I wouldn’t get a minutes sleep.

Wild camped in Derbyshire with my other half and it’s safe to say he wasn’t a fan lol.

Guest leatherhead32

last time i went camping went with mates  i was 17 and i hated it , couldn't sleep itchin cold and hungry n thirsty for 5 nights , then got wrongly arrested as looked like some kid whod nicked a car , was in the cells in whitby nick for 2 nights and loved it got a cell to mysen coffee tea fry ups and a roast beef dinner on the sunday old bill took me home in top of range cop car when  they then got the kid whod done it, i was told he was sentenced to 2 weeks camping.   

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

I thought I liked camping, but then I realised I wasn’t 12 and liked hotels instead.

Having to stumble out of a stuffy tent to walk 2 miles to take a shite in a portaloo is not living the dream. Neither is having a shower and the water level slowly rising because of all the pubes blocked up in it. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Skidmark said:

Having to stumble out of a stuffy tent to walk 2 miles to take a shite in a portaloo is not living the dream. Neither is having a shower and the water level slowly rising because of all the pubes blocked up in it. 

On one hand, squatting in a damp field as an aluminium bowl of water attempts to boil this side of 2027. Plastic pot containing the coffee did its job, there are ants in the sugar. The milk went off during yesterday’s unseasonal blast of heat. The mug bears the hallmarks of many shit drinks from days gone by. When the whole sorry process is over the deckchair collapses just as you were congratulating your Bear Grylls self in huntergathering coffee drink. 

On the other, push button on hotel machine. Instant, repeatable espressos and Americanos. In the warm and dry. The air hangs sexily with the scent of bacon. 

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

On one hand, squatting in a damp field as an aluminium bowl of water attempts to boil this side of 2027. Plastic pot containing the coffee did its job, there are ants in the sugar. The milk went off during yesterday’s unseasonal blast of heat. The mug bears the hallmarks of many shit drinks from days gone by. When the whole sorry process is over the deckchair collapses just as you were congratulating your Bear Grylls self in huntergathering coffee drink. 

On the other, push button on hotel machine. Instant, repeatable espressos and Americanos. In the warm and dry. The air hangs sexily with the scent of bacon. 

This perhaps isn’t the thread for you, Dave. 😜 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick said:

This perhaps isn’t the thread for you, Dave. 😜 

Lugging the Elsan toilet to the drain point. Trying to pretend the blue turd soup doesn’t smell disgusting. Was that splash back? That felt like splash back. Fvcking hell, I’m going to be able to use my survival knife for the first time as I amputate my left leg below the shorts line. 

Still, we got tonight’s meal to look forward to. Tins, two saucepans, plastic plates. Nothing says quality meal than reheated tinned mince on plastic plates. 

Then we can sleep under the stars. Drifting off to the sound of night creatures, the couple from Walsall arguing, and Debbie from Colchester getting her back gate firmly smashed in by the bloke she met in the pub two hours before. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kenny said:

Only suitable for 1.

I missed this gem of a recommendation. I absolutely second this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skidmark said:

see, there’s your problem.. wanting to use a portaloo.

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

stick to increasing your  Taylor Swift album collection is my recommendation..

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kenny said:

now on that item, i did get a cheaper version from Amazon... but i'd definitely use one of these any day of the week over a full air  bed/ mattress... Gear doctors are about half the price and do some ultralite versions

Edited by MPH

I’ve spent years under the stars. Can count the number of times I’ve used a traditional campsite on one hand. Favourite way to do it is by open boat, all gear in barrels as you can be gone for weeks 😂. I do own a couple of 1man tents but normally just use a tarp and goretex bivvy bag.  
I use an MSR stove burning Coleman fluid or similar. 

• Like 1

Anyone who likes wild camping.. anything by TA Outdoors is good to watch on youtube...   he goes camping of course but he also does videos like this where he can teach you little tricks and things he does 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

I want to buy a double stove with grill, what sort of size gas bottle will I need? 7kg? Bigger? Probably do 4 nights max on the trot normally. 

i would go for something like the coleman triton 2-burner thats a propane burner. Hand held and can be carried like a small briefcase when packed away. there's cheaper versions out there but anything propane related, i wouldn't go too cheap as you want to be able to trust that it will work properly.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned grill. Is this for camping?  if so, you could try something like this which is much cheaper but still portable... id just be careful  about using it long term as reliability might be an issue with the cheaper brands, but it wont cause you any issues for  a few years, i dont imagine..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-removable-Supports-multiple-Grilling/dp/B0BRY68F9R/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3BLS0ONK1TAEB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5ySJyB0J06peRb2YAL0TS8dgRhX9mOF7-CcDcq1L1MYy9aIoghfdLHD85KZodpIHFWQRyZYiouZQl6P8A4ebBfWCTyl466xIUOV9ypCzpJlnX2IAEqh0uDSMsSvBKmxdJ3_s9JxC2U0DFLJ7VAZw4jghijFdw9EDLBSTRHEnK7Ams7SS1wqLvaMZdOL_PDvUUTgvjOe-8FnBTQ4jg9Fa0pfp8Hah5G9w0rmhyoa6gd94dG6Nc14whkVXhs6uBgSp2lQ5_W_tIktqWSV4PM0M1spG0rbLS5EpiS9gjPu36Js.hD7lrTO1Jb5SY7iQZxF4x1ge8SxjnYIuVs0gxyiW7to&dib_tag=se&keywords=camping+burner+with+grill&qid=1714398479&sprefix=camping+burner+with+gril%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-11

( this one can be used as a grill or as a burner.)

Edited by MPH

21 hours ago, MPH said:

i would go for something like the coleman triton 2-burner thats a propane burner. Hand held and can be carried like a small briefcase when packed away. there's cheaper versions out there but anything propane related, i wouldn't go too cheap as you want to be able to trust that it will work properly.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned grill. Is this for camping?  if so, you could try something like this which is much cheaper but still portable... id just be careful  about using it long term as reliability might be an issue with the cheaper brands, but it wont cause you any issues for  a few years, i dont imagine..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-removable-Supports-multiple-Grilling/dp/B0BRY68F9R/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3BLS0ONK1TAEB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5ySJyB0J06peRb2YAL0TS8dgRhX9mOF7-CcDcq1L1MYy9aIoghfdLHD85KZodpIHFWQRyZYiouZQl6P8A4ebBfWCTyl466xIUOV9ypCzpJlnX2IAEqh0uDSMsSvBKmxdJ3_s9JxC2U0DFLJ7VAZw4jghijFdw9EDLBSTRHEnK7Ams7SS1wqLvaMZdOL_PDvUUTgvjOe-8FnBTQ4jg9Fa0pfp8Hah5G9w0rmhyoa6gd94dG6Nc14whkVXhs6uBgSp2lQ5_W_tIktqWSV4PM0M1spG0rbLS5EpiS9gjPu36Js.hD7lrTO1Jb5SY7iQZxF4x1ge8SxjnYIuVs0gxyiW7to&dib_tag=se&keywords=camping+burner+with+grill&qid=1714398479&sprefix=camping+burner+with+gril%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-11

( this one can be used as a grill or as a burner.)

thanks for the reply but my question was about what size gas bottle shall I get with whatever camping stove I get ? 

propane better than butane then? 

1 hour ago, Filbert_Ross said:

thanks for the reply but my question was about what size gas bottle shall I get with whatever camping stove I get ? 

propane better than butane then? 

Well it depends on the connecter that comes with the stove. some are set up for the smaller 8 oz bottles but you can get the connecters to add the larger ones. smaller is safer for him -  you can easily carry 2-3 of those  but the bigger ones limit how far you can travel with them.

I just prefer propane and find it works better in colder weather but if its not that cold then i guess it doesn't matter

• Like 1