Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willy37

joey

does anyone feel that joey deserves to be the new club captain? tiatto and dublin dont play, and i imagine they are happy with picking up their wages for doing nuthing, i have no problem with kisnorbo- although he isnt the most gifted he does work hard and put in the effort. As joey is our longest serving 1st teamer and has been our best player this season by a mile i personally believe he deserves it.

I agree, he almost pushed Kisnorbo out the way yesterday to run out of that tunnel.

For a long time, I've had no 'connection' with any of our players, but Joey's changing all that!

does anyone feel that joey deserves to be the new club captain? tiatto and dublin dont play, and i imagine they are happy with picking up their wages for doing nuthing, i have no problem with kisnorbo- although he isnt the most gifted he does work hard and put in the effort. As joey is our longest serving 1st teamer and has been our best player this season by a mile i personally believe he deserves it.

Yeh he should be :thumbup:

Well he deserves it anyway, he has our best player this season

I'm still not wholly convinced by Joey as the long term midfield answer.

I agree that without doubt, he has been our best midfield player this season, but for me question marks remain. He is certainly not a defensive midfielder (his performances playing in the attacking role compared to those in the defensive role have showed this), which leaves me wondering is he the best option as our attacking midfielder? When Hughes is actually back and fit, is Joey going to find a place? When Wesolowski is back, where will Joey's place be? Granted, this is a nice position for us to be in, but it does leave questions as to how effective Joey is or whether it is not difficult to outshine the rest of the current midfield?

In addition, cynically speaking, we have all seen players up their game when contracts are coming up for renewal.

I agree that on the field Joey does seem to show that he has what it takes to be a captain, but a captain is someone that is respected on/off the pitch , we'll never know what he is like off the field and how he gets on with his team mates off the field.

I'm still not wholly convinced by Joey as the long term midfield answer.

I agree that without doubt, he has been our best midfield player this season, but for me question marks remain. He is certainly not a defensive midfielder (his performances playing in the attacking role compared to those in the defensive role have showed this), which leaves me wondering is he the best option as our attacking midfielder? When Hughes is actually back and fit, is Joey going to find a place? When Wesolowski is back, where will Joey's place be? Granted, this is a nice position for us to be in, but it does leave questions as to how effective Joey is or whether it is not difficult to outshine the rest of the current midfield?

In addition, cynically speaking, we have all seen players up their game when contracts are coming up for renewal.

I agree 100%, if it pans out with Hughes & Wesoloski, both still need to convince then a new contact for Joey would provide good competition/cover.

Everyone says Hughes is better in the attacking midfield role, but I'm not convinced. He doesn't score many goals and doesn't have a great shot on him either.

Joey definitely deserves to be captain, he's been our most consistent player and has stood like from a mile. Hughes nor Wesolowski have proved themselves at this level for any period of time, whereas we have seen Joey do just that. If anybody is going to get dropped in favour of Hughes or Weso it definitely should NOT be Joey.

Everyone says Hughes is better in the attacking midfield role, but I'm not convinced. He doesn't score many goals and doesn't have a great shot on him either.

Joey definitely deserves to be captain, he's been our most consistent player and has stood like from a mile. Hughes nor Wesolowski have proved themselves at this level for any period of time, whereas we have seen Joey do just that. If anybody is going to get dropped in favour of Hughes or Weso it definitely should NOT be Joey.

Is he going to be staying at the club?

Not much point if he's leaving either in January or during the close season.

No. He is playing his best football at the moemnt and he is still only an average Championshiop player when playing out fo hsi skin. His actualy ability lvels are dire. Good attitude though and I am pleased to see him making the most out of his ability. If other more talented players did the same the team would be a little higher up the league. (and he wouldn't be in the team)

No. He is playing his best football at the moemnt and he is still only an average Championshiop player when playing out fo hsi skin. His actualy ability lvels are dire. Good attitude though and I am pleased to see him making the most out of his ability. If other more talented players did the same the team would be a little higher up the league. (and he wouldn't be in the team)

That's what I heard pre-season too. Reality is he's been by far our most consistent player this season and recently has been outstanding coming forward.

We have joy we have fun we have Joey Gudjonsson!

The guys been great thus far, I'd certainly make him skipper due to this and the connection he's building with the fans. He's also always telling players what to do.

Regardless of what people have thought of Joey before this season, you cannot deny that he has been a shining light in an average side.

As good as Joey has been this season, I still have in the back of my mind the memory of some of his performances last season and the fact that this is the last season of his contract. He is one of very few players that aren't in a comfort zone and I think his performances show this. If he was made club captain and offered a three year deal I wonder if he'd be as good next season?

I'm convinced this isn't just Joey playing for a new contract, whereas with Gillespie it was a different matter and I couldn't stand the fact that everyone was saying how fanastic he was!

Gillespie I wasn't prepared to give a chance because he was just a freeloader, Joey's not, he has finally been given the right to roam that he wants, hes never looked like a defensive midfielder to me. Joey and Hughes wont play together anyway, CL wont play Hughes centre mid for some reason so that's that equasion solved,

I'm not quite sure what my point is there, but stick with Joey he's been the only commited player thus far, and Hume seems to be getting there, we can still make the playoffs!

Very harsh! I would have to of agreed with you after watching him last season but this season he is showing why Betis paid £3 million for him. He's certainly one of our best players and although he's no world beater I wouldn't describe his ability levels as 'dire'. If he's dire then what would you describe Kisnorbo as or Joe Hamill?

His 50 yard pass to Hume was sublime as were some of his shots, you need technique to execute those sort of things, yes you can fluke it at times but not on a consistent basis.

In the past 2 games alone Gudjonsson has had 4 or 5 25+ yard efforts that have either gone in, hit the woodwork or produced a class save from the goalie. He's also set up Hume with a wonder pass. If that's what you would call dire then you need your head testing bud.

Maybe it's tactics from Levein. McCarthy and Gudjonsson get the players going without being captain whereas a player like Kisnorbo (and maybe Tiatto) would be a lot quieter without the captains armband. This way we are techically getting 3 captains on the pitch.

Just a thought.

Very harsh! I would have to of agreed with you after watching him last season but this season he is showing why Betis paid £3 million for him. He's certainly one of our best players and although he's no world beater I wouldn't describe his ability levels as 'dire'. If he's dire then what would you describe Kisnorbo as or Joe Hamill?

His 50 yard pass to Hume was sublime as were some of his shots, you need technique to execute those sort of things, yes you can fluke it at times but not on a consistent basis.

In the past 2 games alone Gudjonsson has had 4 or 5 25+ yard efforts that have either gone in, hit the woodwork or produced a class save from the goalie. He's also set up Hume with a wonder pass. If that's what you would call dire then you need your head testing bud.

I must say I didn't react to Joey being called "dire" because the comment was beneath contempt.

This is a bloke few people believed would keep his place this season yet has probably been Player of the Season.

Indeed, for a man of such supposedly limited ability, I would ask why, then, has he been touted as man of the match so often in these columns.

I've been pleased with both his performance and his attitude all season but recently - and over a string of games - he has been like a man possessed in his efforts for our team.

His 32 shots on target make him fourth most accurate striker in the Championship this season (a table headed by centre-forwards, not midfielders), and his involvement in every phase has been non-stop and, more important, effective.

"Dire?"

If that's "dire" I'll have "dire" from the other 10 quite happily.

I must say I didn't react to Joey being called "dire" because the comment was beneath contempt.

This is a bloke few people believed would keep his place this season yet has probably been Player of the Season.

Indeed, for a man of such supposedly limited ability, I would ask why, then, has he been touted as man of the match so often in these columns.

I've been pleased with both his performance and his attitude all season but recently - and over a string of games - he has been like a man possessed in his efforts for our team.

His 32 shots on target make him fourth most accurate striker in the Championship this season (a table headed by centre-forwards, not midfielders), and his involvement in every phase has been non-stop and, more important, effective.

"Dire?"

If that's "dire" I'll have "dire" from the other 10 quite happily.

Which begs the question who should partner him in midfield, it seems to me, although he has performed better than most it's only since he's had the freedom to forage forward that he has really stood out. I believe this is because he's had a defensive midfielder (Kisnorbo) behind him. The vast majority of people on here , when selecting teams partner Joey with either Hughes or Williams, citing Kisnorbo as rubbish unfortunately we have no other defensive midfielders. This would inevitable return Joey to a much more defensive role; could we be sure that Hughes or Williams would be fit/able enough to continue or better Joey's attacking contribution? Would Joey perform the defensive role? Because I seem to remember him taking a lot of flak in the role, I'm sure now that it is not his best/natural position. Ih fact it would be fair to say that our midfield with any combination Joey/Williams/Hughes has failed to impress me when ever they've been selected

Ideally it would be nice to see a combination of say, Joey and Hughes playing/swapping the attacking and defensive midfield roles, but have they got the inteliigence/abilities to carry that off.

Of course we have Wesolowski in the background, now I know he's had good reports but we can hardly guarantee/expect he'll be able to slide effortlessly/faultlessly into the midfield and perform like an experienced pro from his very first start. Besides it then raises the question who do you play with him?

I've no answers I'm afraid, I'm just seeing the problems/options.

I watched Gudjohnson try and lay off a 5 yard pass on saturday and miss by about 10. Do other people miss these things or do they not care because Joey tries hard. When Williams came on he delivered 4 or 5 difficult forward passes that Joey is just not capable of. (Thats not to say Joey doesn't have qualities that Williams lacks)

I am pleased with the way Joey is playing, he is a much improved player form last year. I just recognise there are severe limitations in his game. I am slo less impressed by his logn range shooting than everyone else. It may make the crowd feel betteer that we are having shots on goal but it is rarely the percentage option. Sam Allardyce bans his players form shooting outside of the area. He fined Kevin Nolan after he scored a 25 yard scorcher!

Which begs the question who should partner him in midfield, it seems to me, although he has performed better than most it's only since he's had the freedom to forage forward that he has really stood out. I believe this is because he's had a defensive midfielder (Kisnorbo) behind him. The vast majority of people on here , when selecting teams partner Joey with either Hughes or Williams, citing Kisnorbo as rubbish unfortunately we have no other defensive midfielders. This would inevitable return Joey to a much more defensive role; could we be sure that Hughes or Williams would be fit/able enough to continue or better Joey's attacking contribution? Would Joey perform the defensive role? Because I seem to remember him taking a lot of flak in the role, I'm sure now that it is not his best/natural position. Ih fact it would be fair to say that our midfield with any combination Joey/Williams/Hughes has failed to impress me when ever they've been selected

I agree with much of this. Joeys improvement in form has coincided with him given greater freedom to get forward and influence the game. I happento think of Hughesy or Williams were given a similar role for a similar period of time we would see exactly the same result.

cant beleive some people are knocking him, we need players like him to take the chances such as 25yrd shots, coz they might go in, and if they dont atleast he is trying to get goals in!

i dont think kisnorbo is the best player but in ways i do agree joey looks like a freer (or however you spell it) player, coz he knows he can go forward without having to do a drastic rush back!

we cant afford to loose him in jan or at the end of the season he is a quality player and makes a lot of difference for us! and when hughes and weslowski are back fully they will have to work sooooo hard to take joey's place (which he has to keep) because you cant jsut get rid of the player who has worked his boll ocks off every game he has played!

Ideally it would be nice to see a combination of say, Joey and Hughes playing/swapping the attacking and defensive midfield roles, but have they got the inteliigence/abilities to carry that off.

Of course we have Wesolowski in the background, now I know he's had good reports but we can hardly guarantee/expect he'll be able to slide effortlessly/faultlessly into the midfield and perform like an experienced pro from his very first start. Besides it then raises the question who do you play with him?

I've no answers I'm afraid, I'm just seeing the problems/options.

A very good post and you raise some excellent points. It would be interesting to see how Gudjonsson plays if he is partnered with somebody other than Kisnorbo. I personally don't think we need a defensive midfielder especially at home and aslong as we have two very agile midfielders such as Gudjonsson and Wesolowski or Hughes then I think we'd be just as effective if not more.

I've been told that West Brom are after him. He would be the kind of player West Brom look for because they've signed quite a few players from the Championship eg Richie Chaplow from Burnley, Robert Earnshaw from Cardiff, Curtis Davies from Luton and I suppose you could say Ellington from Wigan as he hadn't played a game in the Premiership for Wigan before he moved. I wouldn't be surprised if they came in with an offer around the £1million mark for him in January. Whether we'd accept it, I don't know but I think it would tempt CL and the board in all honesty.

I've been told that West Brom are after him. He would be the kind of player West Brom look for because they've signed quite a few players from the Championship eg Richie Chaplow from Burnley, Robert Earnshaw from Cardiff, Curtis Davies from Luton and I suppose you could say Ellington from Wigan as he hadn't played a game in the Premiership for Wigan before he moved. I wouldn't be surprised if they came in with an offer around the £1million mark for him in January. Whether we'd accept it, I don't know but I think it would tempt CL and the board in all honesty.

I think if a team does come in with an offer, and Levein accepts it, this would be an indication that he wasn't going to offer him a new contract, if he rejects any offer i'd have it in mind that he will offer him anew contract. Personally I think any bid would be rejected, it's clear Joey likes playing here and his performances have been outstanding and i don't think Levein would want to lose him.

Archived