Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Levein Challenges Williams

Craig Levein is challenging midfielder Gareth Williams to grab a Leicester City starting spot by reproducing the form he showed on Saturday.

The Scot was introduced into the game as a tactical substitution and produced what City boss Levein has been wanting to see from him, and he wants to see more of it.

Williams has had his ups and downs this season, never a regular and sometimes not even on the bench, but his super goal at Bolton in the Carling Cup served notice he cannot be written off despite the midfield pairing of Joey Gudjonsson and Patrick Kisnorbo being the preferred option lately.

Levein said: "I thought Gareth was fantastic when he came on. When he is like that, I should be playing him every week.

"That is his challenge, to be like that all the time, to make sure nobody else plays in his place. What we don't have without Gareth is that we don't see the killer pass. Gareth will pick out a pass and do something a little different."

That could signal more appearances for Williams as City still strive to find the winning formula after another failure to win at home on Saturday, another to add to the list of games when superiority was not transferred into points.

Levein said: "It will be said that we should be beating Crewe at home and there is no doubt the team has been under-achieving in the first half of the season, but I remain convinced that we will come through it as a much better side in the long run.

"Considering we have been building a completely new team and what we have had to come through this season, I think the experience will make us stronger in the future. It is not easy at the moment but we will get there."

It was important not to suffer another home setback to lowly opposition in the lead-in to a series of fixtures which could provide the long-awaited boost.

Millwall come here on Boxing Day and after a trip to Reading, Norwich are the visitors.

Levein said: "Yes, it was vital we did not lose against Crewe and the response of the fans to the way we battled back was very encouraging. Most of them appreciate what we are trying to do and where we are trying to go and they backed us brilliantly."

Pleased to hear that Levein hasn't written Williams off yet and it's good to see that Levein is trying to motivate the lad. This sort of rallying call should give Williams a little bit of confidence aswell, he seems quite a shy lad when you hear him talk and I hope Levein focuses abit of time in trying to get the best out of Williams.

As Levein said, Williams has that killer pass that none of our other midfielders posess, he'd be a massive asset if we could get him playing consistently. I think if Hughes can get fit and take Sylla's place i'd be looking to see Gudjonsson, Wesolowski and Williams all fighting for the central midfield places and all 3 are capable of being impact players from the bench if need be.

We don't have a killer pass? What was Gudjonsson's pass that set up Hume then?

As far as I can remember Williams's only assist this season was the one v Stoke at home where he played Connolly in.

We don't have a killer pass? What was Gudjonsson's pass that set up Hume then?

As far as I can remember Williams's only assist this season was the one v Stoke at home where he played Connolly in.

He's supposed to be a better passer of the ball Gudjohnson, espically on the deck. Not really seen much evidence of it yet though. He did look good on Saturday though, would like to see him start Boxing day but it will never happen. He's probabley going to go in January.

Pleased to hear that Levein hasn't written Williams off yet and it's good to see that Levein is trying to motivate the lad. This sort of rallying call should give Williams a little bit of confidence aswell, he seems quite a shy lad when you hear him talk and I hope Levein focuses abit of time in trying to get the best out of Williams.

As Levein said, Williams has that killer pass that none of our other midfielders posess, he'd be a massive asset if we could get him playing consistently. I think if Hughes can get fit and take Sylla's place i'd be looking to see Gudjonsson, Wesolowski and Williams all fighting for the central midfield places and all 3 are capable of being impact players from the bench if need be.

If Williams (or any of other player in our team) gains "playing confidence", that can only be a good thing.

Although that might not make him walk around looking up (instead of looking at the ground, luckily he doesn't do that too much during a game!), it still should encourage more "ups" than "downs" on the pitch from now on.

The midfield you describe sounds very good - and very creative - on paper. Cannot wait to see it at work!

Williams has so much potential to be a great player, technique is superb and his passing range has been class at times (though not often enough at all) but all of this is no good when he's a lazy git.

He seemed more hungry vs Crewe and if he could play to his potential while giving 100% too, he'd be one of the best passing midfielders in the division.

I'm very sceptical though <_<

Williams has so much potential to be a great player, technique is superb and his passing range has been class at times (though not often enough at all) but all of this is no good when he's a lazy git.

He seemed more hungry vs Crewe and if he could play to his potential while giving 100% too, he'd be one of the best passing midfielders in the division.

I'm very sceptical though <_<

Agreed. It's probably a false dawn like alot of things at Leicester but I am savering the moment as I hate to see us sign a player for a fair bit of money and have nothing to show for it.

ive heard he is goin man city for 1mill and stuart pearce was at stoke game i say let the forest reject go he is feckin sh it anyway :clap: cheerio cheerio cheerio :clap:

I think it is undoubted the boys got talent, but it is his work rate that is constantly in question.

If there is a manager that can improve that side of his game its Pearce, so in that sence it may be good deal for both clubs :clap: cheerio cheerio cheerio :clap:

If he cannot play consistently well, then we should only play him occasionally when he is certain to give his best. (I trust Levein knows -by now - how to tell when Williams is 100% keen to play good football?)

:huh:

No one will be able to tell when someone is going to give 100% or not, surely?!

Archived