Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
l444ry

What do you mean: No other Managers about?

Just to nail the nonsense that there are no managers out there. They may not be your cup of tea, or mine for that matter. But please stop saying there are no alternatives....

Ex-Players

Gary McAllister, Mike Newell, Steve Claridge, Billy Davies

Short-Term

Bobby Robson, Jim Smith

New/Newish but up and coming

Martin Allen, Steve Cotterill, Kenny Jackett, John Aldridge

Experienced

Peter Reid, George Burley, George Graham, Trevor Francis, Claudio Ranieri

And surely there could be something made available for Steve Walsh and Garry Mills

I'm sure Mike Newell would leave Luton who have a chance of Premiership football to come and manage relegation fodder.......................not

Ranieri lol i'm sure thats a real likely scenario

Even Millwall didn't want Claridge.

i agree with you there mate to be fair. there are ALWAYS potential managers out there and people who say there arent are talking out of their behinds!!!!

HOWEVER, if it were my choice the following would not get anywhere near LCFC-

Claridge - love him like my own but no no no. not a manager for us

Gary Mac - again one of our all time greats but hugely unproven. also polluted by cov connections!!!

Jim smith - idiot

Aldridge - same

Reid - disaster zone. rather have MA back. the guy is clueless

Francis - poor record as a manager

Graham - done nowt for years

Out of the rest id love to see newell, allen, burley but none of them would fancy it.

as for waller and mills.........would be great wouldnt it???? a few years down the line it may just happen!

I'm sure Mike Newell would leave Luton who have a chance of Premiership football to come and manage relegation fodder.......................not

Read the first paragraph marko, not just the bits that suit you.

It's no use posting alternatives that are either proven failures or unrealistic, of course there are alternatives, I'd do it, but they have to have some semblence of potential otherwise what's the point. If you are going to name.. alternatives keep the list short and to the point otherwise it's just so much wasted hot air and you dilute the point you are trying to make, which I think is valid - 'that there are managers out there'.

Fair do's

Billy Davis - Same as Mike Newell

Gary McAllistair - Unproven

Bobby Robson - I'm sure we could afford him

Smith - Errr no thanks

Allen - Very much doubt he would leave Brentford

Coterill - 4-5-1 enough said

Jackett - Would he leave Swansea who have an excellent chance of promotion to the Chapionship

Reid - Worked wonders for Sunderland, Leeds and Coventry

Burley - Would be great for the dressing room and he be Rangers boss soon

Graham - I'm sure he give up his cushy number as a pundit on Prem Plus to run round a field in the middle of winter at his age

Francis - As stated poor record

I hope i've covered all the bases my pedigree chum, and how many of these targets do you believe are realistic ones?

It's no use posting alternatives that are either proven failures or unrealistic, of course there are alternatives, I'd do it, but they have to have some semblence of potential otherwise what's the point. If you are going to name.. alternatives keep the list short and to the point otherwise it's just so much wasted hot air and you dilute the point you are trying to make, which I think is valid - 'that there are managers out there'.

Very few managers experience success all through their career DavieG. There will always be some period of failure somewhere. Take Paul Jewell at Sheffield Wednesday for example. Would that be a reason for Dave Whelan to overlook him for Wigan? Every manager I listed has had more relative success than failure. As for potential, that's very subjective because it's all in the future.

Fair do's

Billy Davis - Same as Mike Newell

Gary McAllistair - Unproven

Bobby Robson - I'm sure we could afford him

Smith - Errr no thanks

Allen - Very much doubt he would leave Brentford

Coterill - 4-5-1 enough said

Jackett - Would he leave Swansea who have an excellent chance of promotion to the Chapionship

Reid - Worked wonders for Sunderland, Leeds and Coventry

Burley - Would be great for the dressing room and he be Rangers boss soon

Graham - I'm sure he give up his cushy number as a pundit on Prem Plus to run round a field in the middle of winter at his age

Francis - As stated poor record

I hope i've covered all the bases my pedigree chum, and how many of these targets do you believe are realistic ones?

Best never try and get another manager ever again then. Oh.. forgot to put Jehovah on the list. But you'd probably say he couldn't perform the miracles required to save us!!!

Best never try and get another manager ever again then. Oh.. forgot to put Jehovah on the list. But you'd probably say he couldn't perform the miracles required to save us!!!

Hopefully you won't be in the position to select a manager if that is the list of candidates.

Hopefully you won't be in the position to select a manager if that is the list of candidates.

I wouldn't give half of them the time of day as a matter of fact, as indicated in the original post. Just thought I'd chuck a few names in that people were more aware of as well as some of the less well known. I could have named several others but the Craig Levein sycophants would pick holes in them as well.

Speaking from a person who knows about football point of view, yes he would.

Do actually know anything about Luton Town.

oh my god ive actually read further on and more people think people think MN wouldnt leave Luton for us!

Does anybody have any idea how quicky he would bite our hands off, we are five times the size of Luton.

and before anybody says " yes but their going to be in the premier league" they wouldnt last five minutes, tiny fan base and a extremly tiny ground.

MN would relish the challenge of taking us to the premier league.

( this is hypothetical, I actually think CL will come good )

Ex-Players

Gary McAllister - No thanks

Mike Newell - Wouldn't come here

Steve Claridge - No thanks

Billy Davies - Wouldn't come here

Short-Term

Bobby Robson - Wouldn't come here

Jim Smith - No thanks

Martin Allen

Steve Cotterill

Kenny Jackett

John Aldridge

^^^ These aren't too bad.

Experienced

Peter Reid - Laughable

George Burley - Doubt he'd come here

George Graham - Doubt he'd come here

Trevor Francis - Laughable

Claudio Ranieri - Wouldn't come here/ Expensive

And surely there could be something made available for Steve Walsh and Garry Mills

That is just ridiculous. Why would we want Walsh or Mills? Maybe Walsh as a coach/motivator but why Mills?

Ex-Players

Gary McAllister - No thanks

Mike Newell - Wouldn't come here

Steve Claridge - No thanks

Billy Davies - Wouldn't come here

Short-Term

Bobby Robson - Wouldn't come here

Jim Smith - No thanks

Martin Allen

Steve Cotterill

Kenny Jackett

John Aldridge

^^^ These aren't too bad.

Experienced

Peter Reid - Laughable

George Burley - Doubt he'd come here

George Graham - Doubt he'd come here

Trevor Francis - Laughable

Claudio Ranieri - Wouldn't come here/ Expensive

That is just ridiculous. Why would we want Walsh or Mills? Maybe Walsh as a coach/motivator but why Mills?

Because they are Leicester through and through. Thought that was bleeding obvious. You clearly haven't been following Gary Mills progress since leaving us.

oh my god ive actually read further on and more people think people think MN wouldnt leave Luton for us!

Does anybody have any idea how quicky he would bite our hands off, we are five times the size of Luton.

and before anybody says " yes but their going to be in the premier league" they wouldnt last five minutes, tiny fan base and a extremly tiny ground.

MN would relish the challenge of taking us to the premier league.

( this is hypothetical, I actually think CL will come good )

I actually agree with you regarding MN, but not for the reasons you give relating to the size of us.

He has a very tetchy relationship with the current LTFC owners, recently he was slagging them off over the Junction 10 fiasco relating to a new ground. He may well be tempted, but just now I don't see a need to remove Levein.

Isn't he the manager of Alfreton Town? :rolleyes:

Correct. But his non-league managerial career is impressive overall. And don't forget Martin was manager of Shepshed once. He'll get a proper chance one day because the Notts County episode was a charade.

Just to nail the nonsense that there are no managers out there. They may not be your cup of tea, or mine for that matter. But please stop saying there are no alternatives....

Ex-Players

Gary McAllister, Mike Newell, Steve Claridge, Billy Davies

Short-Term

Bobby Robson, Jim Smith

Martin Allen, Steve Cotterill, Kenny Jackett, John Aldridge

Experienced

Peter Reid, George Burley, George Graham, Trevor Francis, Claudio Ranieri

When I asked the question, I did ask for realistic alternatives, not just a name of unproven managers, has-beens or the financially unviable.

When I asked the question, I did ask for realistic alternatives, not just a name of unproven managers, has-beens or the financially unviable.

I think that's the point of all these threads.

Various people are getting p*ssed off, and I do understand why people are getting frustrated (Just because I support CL doesn't mean I don't find the results frustrating) , but there isn't a viable alternative. To be honest looking at the list makes me even more certain that giving CL until the end of ther season is the only viable option.

The only reason to change sooner would be a genuine belief that one of the people on the list could get us into the playoffs this season without any money to spend. I do not see anyone on that list that could do that. Even if CL isn't the man to take the club to the next level then that is a decision to be taken in the summer, not as a panic response to a disappointing result.

Simon

If managers like Mike Newell, Martin Allen and Steve Cotterill are unproven, what does that make Craig Levein? He's as unproven as the rest of them in my opinion - wow finishing 3rd a couple of seasons in Scotland doesn't impress me.

Playing devil's advocate, even if none of the managers mentioned are viable, what if Levein is kept on and takes us down? I'd rather see the club trying to do something to save a sinking ship than let it drown because there was no better captain available.

If Levein takes us into the relegation zone at any stage that will be it for me. I'm sure there are plenty of managers who would be interested in taking charge at LCFC and I'm sure some of them would do better than Levein, even if they don't impress the fans.

They are realistic Lisa. It's just that it suits you, and others, not to accept it. As for their various merits (or lack of) they have all achieved more than Craig has. So I'm not quite sure what you would want in a manager. Never mind.....you'll all be going through your own lists soon. Xmas is just round the corner. Sacking season!!!

If managers like Mike Newell, Martin Allen and Steve Cotterill are unproven, what does that make Craig Levein? He's as unproven as the rest of them in my opinion - wow finishing 3rd a couple of seasons in Scotland doesn't impress me.

Playing devil's advocate, even if none of the managers mentioned are viable, what if Levein is kept on and takes us down? I'd rather see the club trying to do something to save a sinking ship than let it drown because there was no better captain available.

If Levein takes us into the relegation zone at any stage that will be it for me. I'm sure there are plenty of managers who would be interested in taking charge at LCFC and I'm sure some of them would do better than Levein, even if they don't impress the fans.

Well said Anish.....Many of these on here would have denied an iceberg had hit the Titanic until they were neck deep in water!!!!

They are realistic Lisa. It's just that it suits you, and others, not to accept it. As for their various merits (or lack of) they have all achieved more than Craig has. So I'm not quite sure what you would want in a manager. Never mind.....you'll all be going through your own lists soon. Xmas is just round the corner. Sacking season!!!

No they are not realistic. The only two I can see who could possibly do a job are Newell and Burley. The problem with either two is whether they would come here.

Newell is already having problems with his own board, but is still there. Whether or not Luton would stay up if promoted is irrelevant. If he gets them into the Premiership, it will do his CV the world of good, regardless of the ultimate outcome. He is in a stronger position there than he would be here, and even though he is an ex player, he wasn't here long enough to form any special bond with the club, and hasn't shown any great affection for his time here. I think people are kidding themselves if they use that as a valid reason.

Burley left Derby after falling out with his board. Didn't he also leave Ipswich of his own accord? They were not in a strong position financially. He left Hearts after falling out with the board. What does this tell you about the man? Do you honestly think he'd come here, when we've no money for him? And if he did, how long do you think it would be before he falls out with this board? Besides, he's waiting for the next Premiership casualty.

As for the others, there is no other candidate (I use the word loosely) that offers any more optimism than the current encumbant. Don't get me wrong, the appointment of Levein was a surprise, and I'm not happy with results, but change for the sake of change will do more damage to this club than trying to introduce a bit of stability. The last manager liked to change his squad every transfer window. CL has had to clear out the dead wood, and effectively start again. If a new manager came in, we'd have to go through that process once again. If you think that we'll avoid relegation that way, fine, but I disagree for the time being.

We dont want newell or burley. Burley apparantly was always on the pis s at derby. And Newell got sacked cus he liked to be out too much at Hartlepool.

So therefore there is noone who presents a better alternative then.

Archived