Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
l444ry

What do you mean: No other Managers about?

Like I just said I miss read it!!!!!!!!!!

I do have other work to do and only get a fleeting chance to actually look at these pages. Unlike yourself I don't get a chance to examine with detail every little post.

I think it was a pointless thread anyhow. "What do you mean: No other Managers about?"... Quite obviously everybody knows that there are other managers about. Just because people say there is no one about to take over doesn't literally mean there isn't anyone.

What they mean is in their opinion there is nobody suitable at this moment in time who would be good enough and would actually take the job if offered. I'm not saying there isn't as there probably is. But if that's there opinion then so be it.

I certainly don't have a crystal ball that allows me to find the next MON.

If it is so pointless, why do you keep adding posts to it? I can read English as well and it IS a common theme amongst the "keep things as they are" brigade that there is no one out there. That's why I did the wretched post.

It was a joke mate...a joke.

You are totally wrong about Eric Black, as well as he might have done. When McAllister left in Jan 2004 they were mid-table. When Black was relieved of his duties at the end of the season they were......mid-table. Also, I'm sure you'll remember that he was McAllister's No 2. Consequently he didn't need to change a lot.

Well ask a Cov fan who was better.

There are plenty of decent, relatively young managers in the lower divisions. I'm surprised nobody has noticed them - after all the leagues in which they ply their trade have been a much-favoured source of recruitment for the FOXES over the years (eg O'Farrell, Little, O'Neill, Adams as well as others we'd prefer to forget).

Apart from Martin Allen. current examples include:

Peter Jackson - Huddersfield

Kenny Jackett - Swansea

Dave Penney - Doncaster

Phil Parkinson - Colchester

Martin Ling - Orient

Keith Curle - Chester

Not all of these would necessarily want to leave their current clubs, but all have built a reputation for consistent, attacking football which is a notable contrast from the fare we've witnessed in recent times. They've also made the most of resources available to them, again in contrast to what has happened to our club.

However, I don't think the FOXES have yet reached the stage where a change is needed. CL deserves one final chance to turn things around. The time to make decisions on his future will be the end of the season, when we can assess what progress (if any) has been made, and the last instalment of the Connolly transfer fee will give us options which we do not have at present.

But don't pretend there are no alternatives out there. The day we accept failure as a matter of routine is the day this club will lose its soul forever.

Keith curle... god I hate him.

Dave Penney has to be the top of most lists now.

sorry but I think the end of season is too long because by then we could be relegated, I think unless he gets at least 6 points out his next 3 games he needs to go so a new manager has the transfer window. The club will have to find the money to fund this perhaps by selling someone like williams to man city, or gambling wigan stay up and using the extra million from that. I think there will be at least one up and coming manager in a lower division that will be tempted by joining our club. Stop bringing up MON because he was barely here 3 months, craig has been here much longer and shouldnt be on this kind of run of results.

sorry but I think the end of season is too long because by then we could be relegated, I think unless he gets at least 6 points out his next 3 games he needs to go so a new manager has the transfer window. The club will have to find the money to fund this perhaps by selling someone like williams to man city, or gambling wigan stay up and using the extra million from that. I think there will be at least one up and coming manager in a lower division that will be tempted by joining our club. Stop bringing up MON because he was barely here 3 months, craig has been here much longer and shouldnt be on this kind of run of results.

No way should we stop bringing up MON because it was people like you who were shouting for him to be sacked. He was not sacked and given time to mature in the job and then he went on to become one of LCFC best managers ever.

As a matter of interest were you one of the people calling for MON to be sacked at the time?. As I said in another thread if you were not then I guess its your tun now but if you were then you should know better.

MadMick

No way should we stop bringing up MON because it was people like you who were shouting for him to be sacked. He was not sacked and given time to mature in the job and then he went on to become one of LCFC best managers ever.

As a matter of interest were you one of the people calling for MON to be sacked at the time?. As I said in another thread if you were not then I guess its your tun now but if you were then you should know better.

MadMick

Hmmm I said something very similar to that earlier on in the thread but got moaned at :rolleyes:

There are plenty of decent, relatively young managers in the lower divisions. I'm surprised nobody has noticed them - after all the leagues in which they ply their trade have been a much-favoured source of recruitment for the FOXES over the years (eg O'Farrell, Little, O'Neill, Adams as well as others we'd prefer to forget).

Apart from Martin Allen. current examples include:

Peter Jackson - Huddersfield

Kenny Jackett - Swansea

Dave Penney - Doncaster

Phil Parkinson - Colchester

Martin Ling - Orient

Keith Curle - Chester

Not all of these would necessarily want to leave their current clubs, but all have built a reputation for consistent, attacking football which is a notable contrast from the fare we've witnessed in recent times. They've also made the most of resources available to them, again in contrast to what has happened to our club.

However, I don't think the FOXES have yet reached the stage where a change is needed. CL deserves one final chance to turn things around. The time to make decisions on his future will be the end of the season, when we can assess what progress (if any) has been made, and the last instalment of the Connolly transfer fee will give us options which we do not have at present.

But don't pretend there are no alternatives out there. The day we accept failure as a matter of routine is the day this club will lose its soul forever.

Dave Penney has done amazingly at Doncaster but has he the minerals to do the same at Leicester?. I always become sceptical about managers in the lower leagues, obviously there are some that would be able to manage successfuly at this level but I think the situation we are in might prove too tough for a manager with no experience of championship football. Mike Newell has done well at Luton this season but you could argue that the foundations were already set in place and they were flying high with confidence when they entered this league and therefore it's made the managers job easier to suceed at this level.

The same could be said with Levein, he did very well at Hearts but his in-experience at this level has meant it's been very hard for him to achieve things within a short space of time because we were in a mess and the re-vamp isn't reaping rewards as of yet.

There isn't any fool proof way of getting this club back in to the premiership, every manager is a gamble and every player is a gamble. We have gambled on Levein and atleast he's got a long term plan that could and should make this club secure for alot longer than the time he spends at this club.

MadMick

I wasnt calling for MON's head, here are the differences between the 2 situations.

1 - Keeping MON in place we had no risk of relegation if he didnt turn things round.

2 - MON was here barely 3 months craig has been here longer then a year.

3 - This is more or less craig's team, MON had more players that previous manager's brought in.

I wasnt calling for MON's head, here are the differences between the 2 situations.

1 - Keeping MON in place we had no risk of relegation if he didnt turn things round.

2 - MON was here barely 3 months craig has been here longer then a year.

3 - This is more or less craig's team, MON had more players that previous manager's brought in.

How about MON took over a team that had actually been near the top of the table all season. It had a decent nucleus of players already in place.

Levein had jack shit.

MON didn't have to sell his best striker on transfer deadline day.

Levein did.

MON had Emile Heskey coming through.

Levein has..... errrr Stearman?????

Well said Babylon

Just a number of other things that spring to mind

1) MON was not managing a club with no money in the bank unlike CL

2) MON spent more money on bringing players into the club than what CL has raised by selling playes to other clubs

3) MON had money to attract players to the club (ie wages) unlike CL

Oh I could go on but I am encouraged at least that Chrysalis dident shout for MON head at the time as he must of being like we all were, prepared to give him a chance. Shame his paticence has run out with CL just because we are near to relegation spots. I suppose he would be a legend if we were leading the pack or challanging for the playoffs dispite the improving performances and indivdual efforts form players.

If we go down I hear Chrysalis say, well.... I say if we win the next four games wher would that leave us. Ifs and Butts no ones right but I have the patience to give CL an oppurtunity to develop this potentially good squad not for this season but for the future.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

By the way It may be my last post for some time so Happy Christmas to all the Leicester City Supporters out there. I hope you all have a great time. Regardless if we agree or disagree on some topics the one thing we all agree with is that Leicester City Football Club are very ture to all of oour hearts and one day we WILL be at the new Wembley lifting that Leauge Cup again.

MadMick

How about MON took over a team that had actually been near the top of the table all season. It had a decent nucleus of players already in place.

Levein had jack shit.

Like hell he did. Joey and Williams were there together with a large number of ex-Premiership players. OK, it can be argued that many of those were well past their sell-by date, but they still produced better results than the current bunch.

MON didn't have to sell his best striker on transfer deadline day.

No but he had to sell Joachim a month before that, which caused enormous ill-feeling at the time, especially as his replacement, Steve Claridge, produced a series of Nathan Blake-like displays in his early games. I defy anyone to say on the basis of those performances, they could have foretold that he would become the legend that he now is.

MON had Emile Heskey coming through.

Indeed. And he was as inconsistent then, as he now is for the brummies.

CL has done nothing to date to justify being named in the same breath as St. Martin.

And remember, had MON NOT got us promoted, the directors of the time were lying in wait to give him the bullet. Is CL under that type of pressure? I very much doubt it...

Well said Babylon

Just a number of other things that spring to mind

1) MON was not managing a club with no money in the bank unlike CL

2) MON spent more money on bringing players into the club than what CL has raised by selling playes to other clubs

3) MON had money to attract players to the club (ie wages) unlike CL

Oh I could go on but I am encouraged at least that Chrysalis dident shout for MON head at the time as he must of being like we all were, prepared to give him a chance. Shame his paticence has run out with CL just because we are near to relegation spots. I suppose he would be a legend if we were leading the pack or challanging for the playoffs dispite the improving performances and indivdual efforts form players.

If we go down I hear Chrysalis say, well.... I say if we win the next four games wher would that leave us. Ifs and Butts no ones right but I have the patience to give CL an oppurtunity to develop this potentially good squad not for this season but for the future.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

By the way It may be my last post for some time so Happy Christmas to all the Leicester City Supporters out there. I hope you all have a great time. Regardless if we agree or disagree on some topics the one thing we all agree with is that Leicester City Football Club are very ture to all of oour hearts and one day we WILL be at the new Wembley lifting that Leauge Cup again.

MadMick

So, what are you saying then Mick? Are you doubting that Martin O'Neill would be doing a better job than Craig Levein if he were under Craig's circumstances?

Dont forget, Martin took over from a rapidly worsening McGhee team. Furthermore, McGhee had spent the transfer budget and Martin had to sell in order to reshape the side and steady the ship. The rest is history.

The biggest difference between the two, and the main gripe I have against Craig, are the excuses that keep getting trotted out after every bad result. Martin never made excuses. His players walked through walls for him because they knew he had faith in them. He never kept changing the side every time an individual made a mistake, like Craig does. If someone did make a mistake it was always explained as a TEAM error.

For example-: If a defender failed to clear a cross, Martin would say the cross should never have occured in the first place. Hence the legendary team spirit we had. All for one and one for all.

Despite the so-called improvement in the current teams performances, this team is brittle. It plays with fear. And the results unfortunately bear this out.

Like hell he did. Joey and Williams were there together with a large number of ex-Premiership players. OK, it can be argued that many of those were well past their sell-by date, but they still produced better results than the current bunch.

How many times do we have to go through this? The ex-premiership players under MA meant the wage bill was around 11 Million, the wage bill needed to be cut to around 5-6 million. Whether or not CL (or anyone else) could have got better results by sticking with the squad inherited from MA is of no relevance, keeping the squad intact was not an option for ANY manager that might have come in, even if MON had decided to make a dramatic return!

Simon

No but he had to sell Joachim a month before that, which caused enormous ill-feeling at the time, especially as his replacement, Steve Claridge, produced a series of Nathan Blake-like displays in his early games. I defy anyone to say on the basis of those performances, they could have foretold that he would become the legend that he now is.

Indeed. And he was as inconsistent then, as he now is for the brummies.

CL has done nothing to date to justify being named in the same breath as St. Martin.

And remember, had MON NOT got us promoted, the directors of the time were lying in wait to give him the bullet. Is CL under that type of pressure? I very much doubt it...

i) Because they cost twice as much wage wise!!!! I'd expect to be a few points better off if we had another 5million quid to spend on wages!! The fact remains oneil took over a team that had been around the top 4 all season.

ii) He didn't have to, that was his choice!! Did Levein have much choice at the time?

iii) He was a damn site better than pretty much everything we have had since

"CL has done nothing to date to justify being named in the same breath as St. Martin."

Has anyone ever said any different? We are simply pointing out you cannot compare the two as they were in drastically different positions.

I'd love to know what your long term plan is. So we get rid of Levein, what happens if the next bloke doesn't turn things around? Sake him after 13months also, then the same with the next bloke, and the one after that. That's a brilliant idea!!!!

Ask Forest, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Wimbledon and Southampton fans the benefit of swapping managers every year.

It's about time people grew some balls and stuck with a manager for a decent amount of time.

How many times do we have to go through this? The ex-premiership players under MA meant the wage bill was around 11 Million, the wage bill needed to be cut to around 5-6 million. Whether or not CL (or anyone else) could have got better results by sticking with the squad inherited from MA is of no relevance, keeping the squad intact was not an option for ANY manager that might have come in, even if MON had decided to make a dramatic return!

Simon

I don't think anyone disagrees that wage reductions had to be made, Simon. It's just that, in spite of all that, the team is underachieving far and beyond what is acceptable for a Club like City. If the manager cannot be held reponsible, even allowing for the wage reductions, then that is an argument for having no manager at all. May just as well have a committee and save on his wages as well!!! The buck has too stop somewhere....and Craig Levein (too his credit) has admitted as much.

I don't think anyone disagrees that wage reductions had to be made, Simon. It's just that, in spite of all that, the team is underachieving far and beyond what is acceptable for a Club like City. If the manager cannot be held reponsible, even allowing for the wage reductions, then that is an argument for having no manager at all. May just as well have a committee and save on his wages as well!!! The buck has too stop somewhere....and Craig Levein (too his credit) has admitted as much.

There are people on this board who appear to believe we could have stuck with the squad MA inherited.

I guess I am more comfortable with the idea that, due to the scale of the reduction in wage bill, things were going to get worse before they got better. Points-wise we aren't significantly worse off that we were last season, so holding things steady while the wage bill halves isn't necessarily a sacking offence.

It all depends on whether you feel we are on a downward curve and not an upward one. Given that we have a group of players whose best years are ahead of the rather than behind them and the finances are sorted I am not convinced by the argument that things are so bad that we need to sack our manger mid-season. And I do feel we are becoming a handful to play against, so I am genuinely looking forward to the end of the season, and don't feel we are seriously threatened by relegation. I may be proved wrong, but that's football for you.

Simon

Simon

i) Because they cost twice as much wage wise!!!! I'd expect to be a few points better off if we had another 5million quid to spend on wages!! The fact remains oneil took over a team that had been around the top 4 all season.

ii) He didn't have to, that was his choice!! Did Levein have much choice at the time?

iii) He was a damn site better than pretty much everything we have had since

"CL has done nothing to date to justify being named in the same breath as St. Martin."

Has anyone ever said any different? We are simply pointing out you cannot compare the two as they were in drastically different positions.

I'd love to know what your long term plan is. So we get rid of Levein, what happens if the next bloke doesn't turn things around? Sake him after 13months also, then the same with the next bloke, and the one after that. That's a brilliant idea!!!!

Ask Forest, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Wimbledon and Southampton fans the benefit of swapping managers every year.

It's about time people grew some balls and stuck with a manager for a decent amount of time.

WOW, u know what, i come on this site everyday and read all the posts and have restricted myself from getting involved in some of these quite naive and sometimes incredibly childish arguments. I'm only 21, so still quite young and even i think the way SOME of you guys go on is so blind sighted! I know this doesnt apply to all of you BUT it gets me so mad to read some of ur guys true opinions! Anyway reason i actually forced my way in today is because you have to listen to this guy (Babylon)!!! I see there is a massive divide in ppls views on here, but lets make it clear, there is no one happy with where we are in the table and for those who say and i quote '...when did some of you fans start accepting mediocraty at this club!', well that's just a stupid and idiotic comment! No one accepts mediocraty. least of all me, i know we are a great club with a great history (remind yourself by watching the Izzet link again!!).

I liked MA when he was here but as soon as he left i realised the mess he had left the club in, a team full of old, ex prem, winding down players with high wage bill demands. The board brought in a manager to not only get results but cut wage bill drastically! So here is your job CL, we want promotion AND your going to have to do it with old ex prem players BUT you can't keep many them because there wage bill is too high so your going to have to build your own team BUT we can't give you hardly any money to buy top players! OK? Go on then lets win Championship! Come on guys, really? What did u expect??? Ok even i thought we would be mid-table maybe an outside shot for play-offs, BUT one thing i do believe is that any manger (Burley, Reid, etc) coming in as CL did would also struggle initially. I know CL is unproven in English football but i truely believe he is doing the right thing for the club and i think results will begin to come. We now have a nucleus of a great team, a few more good signings in january and who knows!

The most important point i wanted to stress tho, was to those calling for Cl's head already! Ok so we sack him after Xmas, bring in a new guy. The new guy is told same scenario CL was when first joined, want results, but low wage bill and not much to spend! Would he have instant success that so many of you fickle fans demand!!??? I doubt it very much. BUT it is football i could be wrong. Right i've bored myself now so sorry to anyone who actually read all this. See some of you at Millwall game! :whistle:

WOW, u know what, i come on this site everyday and read all the posts and have restricted myself from getting involved in some of these quite naive and sometimes incredibly childish arguments. I'm only 21, so still quite young and even i think the way SOME of you guys go on is so blind sighted! I know this doesnt apply to all of you BUT it gets me so mad to read some of ur guys true opinions! Anyway reason i actually forced my way in today is because you have to listen to this guy (Babylon)!!! I see there is a massive divide in ppls views on here, but lets make it clear, there is no one happy with where we are in the table and for those who say and i quote '...when did some of you fans start accepting mediocraty at this club!', well that's just a stupid and idiotic comment! No one accepts mediocraty. least of all me, i know we are a great club with a great history (remind yourself by watching the Izzet link again!!).

I liked MA when he was here but as soon as he left i realised the mess he had left the club in, a team full of old, ex prem, winding down players with high wage bill demands. The board brought in a manager to not only get results but cut wage bill drastically! So here is your job CL, we want promotion AND your going to have to do it with old ex prem players BUT you can't keep many them because there wage bill is too high so your going to have to build your own team BUT we can't give you hardly any money to buy top players! OK? Go on then lets win Championship! Come on guys, really? What did u expect??? Ok even i thought we would be mid-table maybe an outside shot for play-offs, BUT one thing i do believe is that any manger (Burley, Reid, etc) coming in as CL did would also struggle initially. I know CL is unproven in English football but i truely believe he is doing the right thing for the club and i think results will begin to come. We now have a nucleus of a great team, a few more good signings in january and who knows!

The most important point i wanted to stress tho, was to those calling for Cl's head already! Ok so we sack him after Xmas, bring in a new guy. The new guy is told same scenario CL was when first joined, want results, but low wage bill and not much to spend! Would he have instant success that so many of you fickle fans demand!!??? I doubt it very much. BUT it is football i could be wrong. Right i've bored myself now so sorry to anyone who actually read all this. See some of you at Millwall game! :whistle:

I did say that. But I spelt mediocrity correctly.

Also, it's true. Some people do accept it. I do not.

You type so much and say so little. It's a real skill. Are you Thomas Hardy?

Archived