Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Fryatt Has Now Signed For Real

I thought we were going to get him. Looks like you have beaten us to it again just like with Hume. :angry:

Oh well, at least we have just signed Dave Nugents mate, Simon Whaley from Bury. They used to play up front together even though he is a right winger.

Im chuffed to bits cos he described Preston as "a massive club". It makes a nice change from beig told we are a small club all the time. :D

I hope you have all recovered from your hangovers after yesterdays great victory. :huh:

I thought we were going to get him. Looks like you have beaten us to it again just like with Hume. :angry:

Oh well, at least we have just signed Dave Nugents mate, Simon Whaley from Bury. They used to play up front together even though he is a right winger.

Im chuffed to bits cos he described Preston as "a massive club". It makes a nice change from beig told we are a small club all the time. :D

I hope you have all recovered from your hangovers after yesterdays great victory. :huh:

If you play for Bury is it any suprise you call Preston a massive club?

Brilliant news! I never thought we would have been able to sign a player of Fryatt's calibre with the alledged transfer funds we have, but it was a welcome surprise.

Let's not put too much pressure on the lad. I will reserve my judgement on how good a signing it is after he's played 10 or so games. I know we are desperate for a prolific striker, but at 19 he might need a bit of time to settle in. On the other hand it is essential he hits the ground running and his confidence doesn't get dented.

Levein has got to use the lad wisely. I would start him straight away as it's important he gets his first goal within his first few matches. We've seen what happens when a new striker plays a bit part role at first (Hume and Hammond) both didn't score for quite a while.

Anyway enough of the concerns I have, let's celebrate. It's turning out to be a good week. Would the footballing gods allow it to continue right through the week and give us 3 priceless points at Hillsborough? I think we deserve it.

DER DER DER DER ...................... MATTY FRYATT

Levein keeps tabs on striker for a year before transfer - Isn't that what MON used to do?

by Bill Anderson

levein020106.jpgThe process which brought Matty Fryatt to Leicester City yesterday started more than a year ago, Craig Levein has revealed.

After signing the 19-year-old striker on a three-and-a-half-year deal contract from Walsall, Levein said: "We have been on his trail for quite some time. I first saw him about a month after I arrived here.

"I had decided to go down the road with young, ambitious players so I was out and about looking at possibilities.

"He did very well back then and I had kept him in mind then finally we have managed to tie him down."

It is a step up in standard for the England Youth international but Levein has no fears that he can make the transition.

He said: "To play in such a physical league against men you have to be strong enough to look after yourself.

"Under Walsall's system, he has played a lot as a lone striker and this season has still managed 14 goals. At the age of 19, I think that is pretty good.

"He is a different type of player than the ones we have already. Mark de Vries is strong and can hold the ball up, Elvis Hammond runs the channels and Iain Hume is more of a link-up player.

"So we have been lacking someone in and around the penalty area and Matty can do that."

Levein has been chasing a striker for a while but does not want Fryatt to be looked on as the cure-all for the striking ills. He does, however, think the newcomer has had an effect already.

Levein said: "I am very wary of putting too much pressure on him because he is such a young boy, but I don't think there is any question the news of his arrival sharpened the minds of our strikers against Spurs.

"They knew someone else was coming in to add to the competition for places.

"The plan is to improve every season and to look at finding good young players who will eventually become Premiership standard. Fryatt fits in to that long-term plan.

"He will work hard on the training ground, which in my experience all young players do, and the end-product is that we will have a good striker."

Lets not put too much pressure on the lad. Levein distinctly said that he will not be the anwer to our goalscoring problems. With that in mind, who is? Is his plan to get relegated and then Matty will score the goals to get us promoted? :blink:

Levein wouldn't have signed him if he didn't think he would score goals. I just think he's trying to ease the pressure off Fryatt at first. Levein did say he was going to sign us a player with a proven goal scoring record and Fryatt has that albeit only 2 seasons worth, but the main thing is he's been socring goals regularly and recently something many of the strikers we've signed previously hadn't been doing.

Fryatt believes in his own ability and from what Walsall fans have said, he is a born finisher and he'll score regularly at this level for us.

Merson Backs Fryatt To Light Up Foxes

MANAGER, Paul Merson has backed Matty Fryatt to be a success in The Championship with new club, Leicester City.

The 19 year-old left Bescot Stadium earlier this week for an undisclosed fee to end a ten-year association with The Saddlers. "I have no doubt that Matty will score goals for Leicester," said Merson. "They like to get the ball forward quickly and the lad is a natural finisher who will always score goals.

"Obviously we are very sad to lose a player of his ability, but this is a good stepping-stone for him."

Merson is working hard to bring in a new striker ahead of Saturday's home game against Colchester United (kick-off 3.00pm).

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/N...~767679,00.html

Yay, we're a stepping stone :unsure: Oh well, at least if we are it should mean he will have done well for us.

Looking over Matty's stats I see he has played in the Championship before, the year Walsall were relegated at the age of 17/18. Appearances: 4 (7), Goals: 1. Not too shabby for a 17/18 year old, and he seems to have developed since then...

Archived