Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tommeh

Strikers

With Fryatt arriving any minute who would you pair up front Hume has looked brilliant when hes played De vries played amazing last night as did Hammond. It might not be man u with roonry v nistelrooy saha and solksjaer but levein does have a bit of a dilemma

With Fryatt arriving any minute who would you pair up front Hume has looked brilliant when hes played De vries played amazing last night as did Hammond. It might not be man u with roonry v nistelrooy saha and solksjaer but levein does have a bit of a dilemma

lol from having a striker crisis, to having a "who should we choose to play up front" dilemma.

Yeah, a very nice dilemna! Although de Vries played well last night and i'm not getting on his back, but some of his performances this season have been dire! Personally, i would put Hammond, de Vries or Matty with Hume. I think Humey has looked our biggest threat, although i appreciate that de Vries has scored the most goals.

Fryatt and Hume. Levein seems to prefer Elvis though, i'd be happy with either to partner Fryatt really - someone with pace as i've heard Fryatt isn't the quickest, despite articles suggesting otherwise.

A good performance in the Cup last night certainly doesn't change my opinion on De Vries. Let's not bring this Fryatt in only to struggle to be a partner to De Vries, every striker we've brought in has had this problem and it's never worked. We need things to click asap the situation we're in so it's time for a change.

Fryatt and Hume. Levein seems to prefer Elvis though, i'd be happy with either to partner Fryatt really - someone with pace as i've heard Fryatt isn't the quickest, despite articles suggesting otherwise.

A good performance in the Cup last night certainly doesn't change my opinion on De Vries. Let's not bring this Fryatt in only to struggle to be a partner to De Vries, every striker we've brought in has had this problem and it's never worked. We need things to click asap the situation we're in so it's time for a change.

I was listening to the phone in with Kenny Burns etc and he said that Fryatt was very quick. Can someone clear this up for us please! :blink:

The good now is that we can rotate strikers after last night im now finding it hard to chose who my front two would be but against Sheff Weds it'd no doubt be De Vries and Hammond

The good now is that we can rotate strikers after last night im now finding it hard to chose who my front two would be but against Sheff Weds it'd no doubt be De Vries and Hammond

I certainly think that will be the strikeforce myself, but you can't escape the fact that at palace once Hume went off we didnt have one shot and conceded 2 goals

I thought De Vries had a solid game last night and won a very high percentage of his ariel battles with Gardener and Dawson.

His achilles heel is naturally his lumber and ungainly style which kind of goes hand in hand with his lack of pace.

Elvis looks quite tricky and does well when he hits the flanks but I am not too sure whether he is the man to 'lead the line' either.

Then you have Ian Hume who when I first saw him run out onto the pitch at the beginning of the season mis-took him for being the teams new mascot! (he is tiny!). He is pretty useful but once again you feel he would benefit from a target man of some description.......which I don't feel should be De Vries!

I know nothing about the new lad Fryatt so I can't make an informed opinion about him but for me I think that we are possibly still one striker short and it needed to be someone proven and experienced at this level even if they were just the wrong side of 30.

If we don't sign a right winger, Hume might well fit in there perhaps.

If Levein wants to play 4 across the midfield, Hughes can play on the right. That does leave Williams AND Gudjonsson playing though and there are plenty of rumours that Williams is on his way.

Another permutation is Hammond on the right, with 2 of Hume/Fryatt/de Vries up front.

Watch him play one up front now! :P

If we don't sign a right winger, Hume might well fit in there perhaps.

If Levein wants to play 4 across the midfield, Hughes can play on the right. That does leave Williams AND Gudjonsson playing though and there are plenty of rumours that Williams is on his way.

Another permutation is Hammond on the right, with 2 of Hume/Fryatt/de Vries up front.

Watch him play one up front now! :P

I'm liking this idea.... Because Hammond is very fast and skillful and imo he will bring a lot to the team here.

Then one of the strikers can always come off the bench to provide a bit of fresh legs!

Things seem to be looking up.

I think Levein will have a bit more confidence in playing with two up front after the introduction of Elvis Hammond helped to turn the game against Spurs on it's head in the 2nd Half.

So at this stage we are only 'assuming' there is actually going to be a front pairing!

I couldn't believe it when I heard that we had De Vries up front on his own at home. Regardless of who you are up against......you need to give yourself a chance at home and unless you are going to put someone up front on their own who has pace......it is totally pointless!

Who was De Vries supposed to be able to bring into play?

At least if you pop long balls over the top to the loan striker he can run at the defenders and perhaps force a few free-kicks or corners.........but this is not the way forward in your own back yard!

I think Levein will have a bit more confidence in playing with two up front after the introduction of Elvis Hammond helped to turn the game against Spurs on it's head in the 2nd Half.

So at this stage we are only 'assuming' there is actually going to be a front pairing!

I couldn't believe it when I heard that we had De Vries up front on his own at home. Regardless of who you are up against......you need to give yourself a chance at home and unless you are going to put someone up front on their own who has pace......it is totally pointless!

Who was De Vries supposed to be able to bring into play?

At least if you pop long balls over the top to the loan striker he can run at the defenders and perhaps force a few free-kicks or corners.........but this is not the way forward in your own back yard!

I think people are taking this DeVries upfront on his own last night thing a bit too far. Yes, we played much better when went to 4-4-2, but i think CL's thinking was for the midfield to feed off Devries hold-up play because when we have players like smith, william, and hughes that like to get forward in midfield, then i can just about understand Cl's thinking. People are making out like Devries was only player allowed in their half! I just think we were on the defense a lot in 1st half and so he looked more isolated up there. In saying all this tho i would still always play the 4-4-2 over 4-5-1 unless we really did shift to a 4-3-3 when on attack. I just wanted to add a small case of defense for why CL may have opted for those tactics to begin with.

I think people are taking this DeVries upfront on his own last night thing a bit too far. Yes, we played much better when went to 4-4-2, but i think CL's thinking was for the midfield to feed off Devries hold-up play because when we have players like smith, william, and hughes that like to get forward in midfield, then i can just about understand Cl's thinking. People are making out like Devries was only player allowed in their half! I just think we were on the defense a lot in 1st half and so he looked more isolated up there. In saying all this tho i would still always play the 4-4-2 over 4-5-1 unless we really did shift to a 4-3-3 when on attack. I just wanted to add a small case of defense for why CL may have opted for those tactics to begin with.

I understand what you are saying STUHILL but it isn't as if we have someone like Steven Gerrard who can burst onto knock downs and be inside the box with one touch before getting a shot away.

Whilst De Vries won quite a lot of the high balls.....he wasn't able to knock them down to anyone on the whole or even use his chest to control the ball and then lay it off.

Most of our best football came from the flanks and I felt this put a lot of pressure on the Spurs back four (Gardener and Dawson are not the best in the air for their size) as Robinson had to catch or punch away on a few occasions on the edge of his area.

I just feel that Levein should have gone for it from the off and played two up top. The mindset of the players when fielding a 4-5-1 could well have been "The boss doesn't think we can win this" or "He will take a draw if possible".

As a manager you have to send the right message out to your players and give them the confidence they need.

Attempting to take the game back to White Hart Lane would have been financially astute but progression to the 4th Round Draw would have been a very tall order indeed!

I just hope that when Fryatt does play he's FULLY fit. I'm sick of the patched up "carrying a slight knock" players we put out. And if he is fully fit he's more likely to be sharper and therefore more likely to score which will breed confidence and more goals. We hope! :)

Archived