Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TAFKA Castroneves

If you were the next Leicester City manager...

Indeed, what would YOU do if you were the next Leicester manager. Who would you sell, who would you attempt to bring in...how would you play, etc...

For me, bearing in mind survival is the main thing on my agenda...

I'd sell (if possible in the 6 days of the transfer window left): Patrick Kisnorbo and Joe Hamill. It would normally be more but I'd wait until the end of the season to look at selling: Rab Douglas, Momo Sylla, Dion Dublin, Mark de Vries and Danny Tiatto.

I'd bring in another midfielder of some description, probably for the middle of the park - although I'm not sure where to start with the strengthening.

Thirdly I'd get the boys in for extra training in order to get a plan going - and a new system in attempt to save us. Work would be needed on set pieces. Give Momo Sylla some bollockings to stop him being lazy and unlock some potential - or discover that he doesn't have any, either way it would work.

What would you do anyways, you get what I'm asking.

For a start I'd pick a formatoion, probably...

Stearman - McCarthy - Gerrbrand - Sheehan

Hammond - Wesolowski - Hughes - Smith

Fryatt - Hume

...and I'd stick to it for at least 3-4 games until things start to click.

The emphasis would be on movement through the midfield, passing to the feet and getting the team to attack (and defend) as a team. The whole squad would endure longer training sessions and extra time would be put aside for practising set pieces.

Above all I'd try to get the team to recognise that they have ability, that all they lack is the desire and the fight. I'd anything within my power to get them all bonding and working together closer, anything to boost their confidence in themselves and their team mates. Anything to instill in them a sense of pride in the shirt they have the privelige to wear.

I'd try to offload Hammil, Kisnorbo and Tiatto immediately and look to bring in another LB and a RM.

I would sacrifice a goat to the lords in hope, I would bring in witch craft and voodoo to bring some luck to the cursed walkers stadium. Wee in all Four Corners of ground. Buy some magic beans and hope they turn into decent players, because at moment we looked absolutely doomed to league 1 thanks to Levein.

:(

The clear process should be to:

1) Define your backbone of a team, who is the main defence (McCarthy, Stearman, plus 2)

2) Choose goalkeeper who that backbone works with

3) Create a tight midfield with a player just in front of the back four, two central midfield players and a wide player (Gudjohnsonn, Hughes, AN other & Smith)

4) Play your attack fast and on the break with players who will work until they drop and defend with confidence (Hammond & Hume)

5) Have options on the bench to change this

6) Tell the players what you want and expect

7) Go and get points

simple................(pity we don't have the other missing ingredient, a Manager who could see and do this)

My line up would be

GK Henderson (its been Rab all season and look where we are, not saying its all his fault but lets freshen it up a bit)

RB Stearman (He's better on the ball than Maybury and gives 100%)

LB Sheehan (Needs experience but better than Tiatto and makeshift left backs)

CB McCarthy (Unpredictable but has heart)

CB Gerrbrand (can be the calming influence in defence)

RM Hammond (should he be a footballer? his pace could bother opponents)

CM Gudjohnson (Tell him to forget about going forward and get up peoples ar5es)

AM Hughes (give him a free role)

LM Smith (do what you've been doing so far)

FW Hume (make a nuisance of yourself)

FW Dublin (target man)

Let De Vries, Sylla, Kisnorbo, Hamill rot in reserves.

Out would go: Kisnorbo, Nils, Tiatto, Hamill, Sylla and Hammond.

In would come a big centre-back like Macauley, a right winger, a big centre-forward and possibly a creative midfielder.

New coaches would arrive with both general and specific responsibilities.

I would shock the team by announcing that we were going to try to score some goals and to win some matches and one of my coaches would be on counsel anyone overly shocked by that announcement,

I would spend a lot of time getting the lads laughing and joking again while introducing a new coaching regime aimed at improving both the team and individual performances.

The first team I would ideally select would be:

Douglas

Stearman, McCarthy, Gerrbrand/Macauley, Sheehan;

Morris (or new winger), Joey, Wesolowski, Smith;

Fryatt, O'Grady.

Subs would be: Dublin, Williams, Hume, Chambers, DeVries.

We would therefore have speed, mobility, balance, strike-power and 9 players with attacking capability while actually strengthening our back line.

In the case of needing greater attacking strength I would take out Gerrbrand and play 3-5-2 with Hume filling the hole behind the two forwards. Hume would be encouraged into that role in the hole.

That back line would have speed enough to press high up the field but I might work them on a pivot because, the offside laws being as the are, playing a line at all is risky.

So, when Sheehan attacked Stearman would be our back defender, off the right shoulder of McCarthy and vice-versa.

Smith would be told to use all the width of the field and to take people on regularly when anywhere inside the front third of the field. He would be directed to pick out a final pass rather than leaving it to chance.

Sheehan would back him closely.

Similarly on the opposite flank. Instructions when we scored would be simple. Go and score again. And again. I would not hesitate to introduce a third forward striker if necessary, especially with Hume, Chambers, and O'Grady's general capabilities.

We would never approach a game to defend 0-0, home or away.

I have done this in Under 16/under county youth football and we went two years without defeat and won every single competition we contested, and with an average victory around the five goal mark. I wish I had a video of that team.

It was exactly the same unchanged team side virtually throughout the two years and I remember them drawing a cup final 1-1 against New Parks (second best team in Leicestershire then). The lads were stunned. Absolutely inconsolable.

In the replay they were so wound up they played one touch football for the first 10 minutes hit four glorious goals and won the game 6-0 or 6-1. The whole team played senior league or for semi-pro sides even as under 18's or within one year of being so.

People like Alan Dawkins at Barrow might stilll be around to remember them. Names I remember include Paul Onions, Paul Mitchell, Brian Slater, Robert Ereminowicz, Steve Hollis, John Danvers and Keith Christie. Andy Baum might have been goallie but I can't remember cos he never had much to do.

Manager's delight they were. All were area representatives and they just lived to score goals. I often wonder what became of them all.

PS: please don't think the above makes me some sort of smartarse as a manager. Mickey Mouse could have managed that lot successfully. We had a guest coach named Eric Worthington from Loughborough Colleges (as it was then) who went to work as director of coaching to the Australian FA or something similar and was well known to City players. I just had to pick the team and make them want to continue playing together, like a family, while all and sundry were chasing their signatures.

I would get the players and ask them who wants to play for Leicester City Football club. Any players that dont can walk out the door.

Then i would figure out the best 11. Not sure who that would be at the moment, but i owuld play them for the next few games. Get the back four playing week in week out and get the understanding with the keeper. You need a leader and i think that Paddy is the best player who can do that atm.

We also need to get the confidence back into the strikers so maybe playing them in a reserves game so that they get used to each others game and maybe use the Southampton game to see who works well together. Once you have the first victory you have to keep working away. If its a confortable vicotry, keep the same squad! Maybe make the odd change depending on who your playing.

The reason we have been inconsistent is because the side has been changed every week! Keep the same back four and MC and dont keep alternating every week! The goals will come easier if the strikers play week in week out.

DROP all the crap ex hearts players...hopefully levien will resign them for his new club!!

Henderson GK

stearman RB

sheehan LB

mccarthy CB

gerrabrand CB

hammond RW

Smith LW

wesolowoski MC

Gudjonnson MC

Fryatt

Hume

• 2 weeks later...

I will buy some quality players: Olivier van Impe, Elrio van Heerden and Tuomas Uusimäki.

GK: van Impe

DR: Stearman

DL: Sheehan

DC: Gerrbrand

DC: McCarthy

MR: Van Heerden

ML: Hamill

MC: Gudjonsson

MC: Hughes

FC: Hume

FC: Fryatt

Subs: Douglas, Kisnorbo, Uusimäki, Smith, Hammond.

For a start I'd pick a formatoion, probably...

Stearman - McCarthy - Gerrbrand - Sheehan

Hammond - Wesolowski - Hughes - Smith

Fryatt - Hume

...and I'd stick to it for at least 3-4 games until things start to click.

The emphasis would be on movement through the midfield, passing to the feet and getting the team to attack (and defend) as a team. The whole squad would endure longer training sessions and extra time would be put aside for practising set pieces.

Above all I'd try to get the team to recognise that they have ability, that all they lack is the desire and the fight. I'd anything within my power to get them all bonding and working together closer, anything to boost their confidence in themselves and their team mates. Anything to instill in them a sense of pride in the shirt they have the privelige to wear.

I'd try to offload Hammil, Kisnorbo and Tiatto immediately and look to bring in another LB and a RM.

Ditto to all the above, but who would you pick in goal?

I'd get all the videos out from the MON era and demonstrate how properly thought out corner and free kick routines involving defenders "one up/ one back" can produce goals . We hardly ever score from these situations and it cannot just be that we are missing Guppy , Elliott, Walsh & co- they did it against prem defenders we can't even manage it against championship plodders.

CL was always on about how hard the players worked and yet MON always pleaded that the side spent no more than 5 minutes at the end of each training session polishing up their corners etc. Why not try to get back the old combative approach and make life difficult for opposition keepers. McCarthy and Kisnorbo can certainly head a ball and we have a number of candidates to deliver - they just need to practise

I'd get all the videos out from the MON era and demonstrate how properly thought out corner and free kick routines involving defenders "one up/ one back" can produce goals . We hardly ever score from these situations and it cannot just be that we are missing Guppy , Elliott, Walsh & co- they did it against prem defenders we can't even manage it against championship plodders.

CL was always on about how hard the players worked and yet MON always pleaded that the side spent no more than 5 minutes at the end of each training session polishing up their corners etc. Why not try to get back the old combative approach and make life difficult for opposition keepers. McCarthy and Kisnorbo can certainly head a ball and we have a number of candidates to deliver - they just need to practise

That is definately true, and historically in the last decade set pieces is where the majority, or a very large proportion of our goals have come from. I believe the solution would be to put Ian Marshall on the bench and bring him on in the 90th minute. Well, it would have to be 88 mins to allow hime time to get into the box...

We cant forget that at the time Guppy was THE best crosser of the ball in the Premiership. Our corners of late have been pretty good. So long as we are up against opposition whose goalie cannot catch a header, then we'll be back on track...

Agreed, I remember a time when it seemed like every goal we scored was from a set piece and that never happens now. It may not be as exciting as open flowing football but how badly do we need those goals now. Just think if we'd scored ten headers over the season from practicing free kicks we wouldn't be in this mess now, could potentially even be pushing for a late surge to the playoffs. On such attention are managers and clubs made and broken.

Archived