Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicester1884

The 'Give Levein More Time' Brigade

I posted on here around 10 games into the season that I thought it was time for CL to go. We were at the time averaging a point a game and I stated that if this continued we would certainly be dragged into the relegation fight and that I thought that things had only got worse under Levein. Poor tatics, poor signings, no passion or leadership etc

Not many agreed and stated that they could see improvement and that given time (many suggested Xmas) Levein would turn things around.

Just wondering if any of those who disagreed with me at the time now admit they were wrong and that it would of been better to have sacked him then??

Let's just hope it's not too late.

I posted on here around 10 games into the season that I thought it was time for CL to go. We were at the time averaging a point a game and I stated that if this continued we would certainly be dragged into the relegation fight and that I thought that things had only got worse under Levein. Poor tatics, poor signings, no passion or leadership etc

Not many agreed and stated that they could see improvement and that given time (many suggested Xmas) Levein would turn things around.

Just wondering if any of those who disagreed with me at the time now admit they were wrong and that it would of been better to have sacked him then??

I don't agree it would have been better to have got rid of him back then. Everyone needs time, and the bloke was given that. You can't just get rid the second form drops.

I was a member of the give-him-time lot, until 2 games ago when I couldn't understand his inaction when we were chasing the game (making substitutions at 75 minutes in, about half an hour too late was the final straw for me)

Hindsight is 20/20 - if I knew the string of results we'd put together from the end of November until now, I'd have called for him to quit back then.

Alas, my crystal balls are faulty, so I supported him until very recently.

I don't agree it would have been better to have got rid of him back then. Everyone needs time, and the bloke was given that. You can't just get rid the second form drops.

Totally agree, if we did that we'd have a new manager every month or so

That's just it, I wasn't just judging him on the current form at the time.

I was taking everything into consideration, tatical decisions and his signings being the main two.

And just why did he pay around £300 000 for a striker who had never scored a league goal, when we had him on for months anyway??

And just why did he pay around £300 000 for a striker who had never scored a league goal, when we had him on for months anyway??

And why did Wigan splash out 2 million (3 million!) on a player who'd never played in the Premiership?

Panic buying.

Nuff said.

Granted Hammond was hardly a goal-getting god statistics wise, Levein took what he knew he could get quickly, and since Hammond was already at Leicester, all he had to do was make an offer to Fulham. Maybe if Levein had 3 or 4 days instead of 3 or 4 hours, he may have bought a statistically better striker.

It's all ifs and buts, tho. What's done is done. :thumbup:

Good question 1884 but you don't expect these 'denial' merchants to own up to their mistake do you? Don't worry - by the end of the season most of them will have revised their autobiographies and claim they wanted him out as soon as he landed the job. Still strange how they wanted to give him more time after last season's unexpected and unnecessary relegation dogfight though.

After all, it's not as if they are actually shy of hounding out managers after the season has barely started is it now?

After all, it's not as if they are actually shy of hounding out managers after the season has barely started is it now?

Get over it....

The only reason I wasn't calling for CL's head is the lack of a viable alternative. To say people were "wrong" is a little unfair. Noone can see into the future, and we could have been pushing for a play-off place by now, if things were different. But that's the problem, it's all "ifs and buts".

The way I see it is this; CL has gone. There's no point in dwelling on what has already gone, and what could have been. We, as fans, have to get behind the team now, and hope we can get enough points from the remaining fixtures to stay in this division.

Good question 1884 but you don't expect these 'denial' merchants to own up to their mistake do you? Don't worry - by the end of the season most of them will have revised their autobiographies and claim they wanted him out as soon as he landed the job. Still strange how they wanted to give him more time after last season's unexpected and unnecessary relegation dogfight though.

On the one hand you criticise for not wanting him out ealier and on the other you criticise for wanting him out earlier....

Go away troll.

[..] And just why did he pay around £300 000 for a striker who had never scored a league goal, when we had him on for months anyway??

Don't forget that he was very short on options when this deal was made, we'd had just had Jani Sturm fail a medical at the last minute and we needed a forward. I guess this seemed like the best option at the time.

At the end of the day Hammond was not a bad purchase, he's got pace, good control and seems one of the more motivated players. He may not have shown himself to be the predator in front of goal that we've needed over the past months but he is still a valuable addition to the squad, this could be especially true if he could be modelled into a more RM role for the future.

I suppose in hindsight you were correct!!! But, back then he seemed as though he still could do the job and if Levien wasn't such a arrogant **** I think he still could have been in the job, he knew he was out of his depth and should have asked city to bring in an advisor\football director to help him!!

Wrong about what? The fact it's ridiculous to sack a manager 10 games into a season. The fact it's ridiculous to sack a manager less than a year into the job. The evidence from other clubs suggests it takes more than 16 months to turn around a club and reverse its fortunes. With fans like you wanting to sack managers every 10 months we'll be in the conference in a few years time.

Obviously we all bow down to your greater knowledge, forsight and maturity. Not sure about the last one mind you.

I'd rather admit to being wrong than being bloody-minded or a hypocrit about this.

In retrospect, yes, he should have gone earlier. I didn't have a problem with us bumbling around lower-mid table until Xmas per se as I've always been in favour of giving Levein plenty of time. History IS littered with examples of teams U-turning during a season (both directions, granted) and like a lot of people people, I felt we had the squad to be a top-6 team. Wrong in hindsight, yes, but not unreasonable - or displaying the dribbling, slack-jawed lack of rationale that seems to be popular at the moment on this site.

Levein's teams didn't lack effort as a whole and created plenty of chances (I don't have stats at hand, but believe this to be a fact - this season at least). On the other hand, he never got a decent goalscorer and persisted too long with a couple of players in critical positions who aren't good enough for this league. There are a hundred ways to be a good manager - not having a dynamic personality does not automatically preclude you from being one. His stubbornness was his downfall.

The Crewe/Millwall games were the realisation for me that Craig genuinely wasn't actually going to pull a rabbit out of a hat (yes, that long!). The Spurs win was then bit of a smokescreen - witness the ludicruous post-Spurs Levein Out! poll. It's unfortunate that as we approach cup weekend again, I find myself not actually that bothered about progressing, such is the seriousness of our position. That will probably change by 3pm tomorrow though.

My reaction to him going is consistent with that of every other manager that's gone as long as I've been supporting City, including O'Neill. He's gone, so who's next...

Wrong about what? The fact it's ridiculous to sack a manager 10 games into a season. The fact it's ridiculous to sack a manager less than a year into the job. The evidence from other clubs suggests it takes more than 16 months to turn around a club and reverse its fortunes. With fans like you wanting to sack managers every 10 months we'll be in the conference in a few years time.

So you don't think you was wrong - that's fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's just that in the first 10 months of CL's reign in charge, I personally thought we haad gone backwards in every department on the pitch and never looked like improving.

So you don't think you was wrong - that's fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's just that in the first 10 months of CL's reign in charge, I personally thought we haad gone backwards in every department on the pitch and never looked like improving.

You must be so pleased to see us in this perilous situation then, cos it just proves you were right all along!

WFT good is this 'I told you so' attitude doing? it's just gonna wind people up

At the time, knowing what we knew, I was not wrong to say more time should be given IMO.

It's great to look back now and say yes we should of sacked him earlier. We could say we shouldn't of got him at all doing that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You cannot just keep sacking managers because you're in the bottom half and things aren't going how you want them. At the time I stated that should we touch the bottom three at xmas or beyond then he has to go. The board also obviously agreed with me. Anywhere else in the table and I believe time should be given.

As for going backwards in every department on the pitch. Even though we were only slightly lower in the league than under Adams for most of the season (until recently), I personally thought performances (not results) were better than what I witnessed under Adams. Just my opinion of course.

At the time, knowing what we knew, I was not wrong to say more time should be given IMO.

It's great to look back now and say yes we should of sacked him earlier. We could say we shouldn't of got him at all doing that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You cannot just keep sacking managers because you're in the bottom half and things aren't going how you want them. At the time I stated that should we touch the bottom three at xmas or beyond then he has to go. The board also obviously agreed with me. Anywhere else in the table and I believe time should be given.

As for going backwards in every department on the pitch. Even though we were only slightly lower in the league than under Adams for most of the season (until recently), I personally thought performances (not results) were better than what I witnessed under Adams. Just my opinion of course.

Totally agree bruvva

You must be so pleased to see us in this perilous situation then, cos it just proves you were right all along!

WFT good is this 'I told you so' attitude doing? it's just gonna wind people up

I didn't mean it to come across as a 'I told you so' statement.

Just that I thought too many were eager to give him too much time which could cost dearly and wondered if any had now changed their opinion on the amount of time Levein should have been given.

I didn't mean it to come across as a 'I told you so' statement.

Just that I thought too many were eager to give him too much time which could cost dearly and wondered if any had now changed their opinion on the amount of time Levein should have been given.

I think the board got is spot on sacking him now and not earlier! The Plymouth games was the final chance for him. It is easy for you to say now that we should have sacked him ages ago! I wouldn't be like you and be saying, which you are even though u deny it 'I told you so!' if he had turned it around. And as for things going backwards, i think we have moved forward in every department apart from the most important, results!! I think Cl has given us a great basis for success in the future but he just couldn't motivate or cut it tactically come matchdays, so he had to go. I think 16 games left is enough for a new guy to come in and help us in time to avoid the drop or even see if Kelly can do it. We have a good squad and some great individual players. Cl never played to our strengths or our best team, so lets see what happens if the new guy does that.

Hail Hail... you're a God..... I know your sort, always right ! Are you a woman by any chance ? :whistle:

Archived