Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Disillusioned

LCFC Board Not Without Blame

Although he failed abjectly I believe that Craig Levein made an honest fist of his tenure at LCFC. But I don't think he has the authority or the insights to make a top flight coach. One day he might just get 'lucky by association' (like 99% of supposedly 'good' managers do) and find himself going with the flow at a club where all the problems sort themselves out.

The time has come though to ask some serious questions of the board. Why did they allow this situation to go on for so long? If a few perceptive posters on this and other boards could see things unravelling by Xmas 2004 how come they couldn't see it?

The Leveinists would have you believe that you can't see into the future. Maybe - but you can often make reasonable forecasts based on what you have seen and are seeing. If the same mistakes are being repeated over and over again you can get a feel for the way things are headed.

The away form went down the plughole as soon as Adams left - never to return (if the new coach manages to reverse this before the end of this season he should be awarded the freedom of the city). Then there was the steady influx of players with little or no experience of ENGLISH top flight experience. And a certain inabilty on the part of the coach to grasp the importance of team bonding and motivation (highlighted by the bizarre announcement to go scouting in the middle of LAST season's relegation struggle). All of this had been evident for over a year.

This season started with LCFC quoted as 20/1 for promotion. The bookies were right, as usual, but probably not right enough - we shall soon see if their even longer odds on the drop were slightly too generous. Some observers felt it was going to go horribly wrong as Levein would be starting the season from scratch without the 20 point bonus he inherited last time (which was why we stayed up).

The board could have and should have got rid in the summer but they sat on their hands and watched as more SPL exiles trooped into the boot room. Instead of going by the trendline they were dazzled by the blips: an away win at Watford (we won at Leeds last season), a home win against the Blades (as Warnock was packing his bags for Pompey) and a cup win at home against a depleted Spurs side (we beat Charlton away last season).

So like the desperate coach who only uses his subs when his side goes 4-0 down the dithering board finally put on the brakes only after we have gone through the last red light. This really isn't good enough. In fact the whole story of Levein's regime from his very appointment (shades of Taylor) through to his dismissal is a saga of ineptitude and indifference.

The board duped both us and themselves into thinking they had made a 'canny' appointment. I admit that they took me in too (because I didn't look at his record closely enough). Maybe we can forgive them their lack of thoroughness.

But I can't forgive them for making us watch a virtual slow motion replay of last season's Levein highlights.

Although he failed abjectly I believe that Craig Levein made an honest fist of his tenure at LCFC. But I don't think he has the authority or the insights to make a top flight coach. One day he might just get 'lucky by association' (like 99% of supposedly 'good' managers do) and find himself going with the flow at a club where all the problems sort themselves out.

The time has come though to ask some serious questions of the board. Why did they allow this situation to go on for so long? If a few perceptive posters on this and other boards could see things unravelling by Xmas 2004 how come they couldn't see it?

The Leveinists would have you believe that you can't see into the future. Maybe - but you can often make reasonable forecasts based on what you have seen and are seeing. If the same mistakes are being repeated over and over again you can get a feel for the way things are headed.

The away form went down the plughole as soon as Adams left - never to return (if the new coach manages to reverse this before the end of this season he should be awarded the freedom of the city). Then there was the steady influx of players with little or no experience of ENGLISH top flight experience. And a certain inabilty on the part of the coach to grasp the importance of team bonding and motivation (highlighted by the bizarre announcement to go scouting in the middle of LAST season's relegation struggle). All of this had been evident for over a year.

This season started with LCFC quoted as 20/1 for promotion. The bookies were right, as usual, but probably not right enough - we shall soon see if their even longer odds on the drop were slightly too generous. Some observers felt it was going to go horribly wrong as Levein would be starting the season from scratch without the 20 point bonus he inherited last time (which was why we stayed up).

The board could have and should have got rid in the summer but they sat on their hands and watched as more SPL exiles trooped into the boot room. Instead of going by the trendline they were dazzled by the blips: an away win at Watford (we won at Leeds last season), a home win against the Blades (as Warnock was packing his bags for Pompey) and a cup win at home against a depleted Spurs side (we beat Charlton away last season).

So like the desperate coach who only uses his subs when his side goes 4-0 down the dithering board finally put on the brakes only after we have gone through the last red light. This really isn't good enough. In fact the whole story of Levein's regime from his very appointment (shades of Taylor) through to his dismissal is a saga of ineptitude and indifference.

The board duped both us and themselves into thinking they had made a 'canny' appointment. I admit that they took me in too (because I didn't look at his record closely enough). Maybe we can forgive them their lack of thoroughness.

But I can't forgive them for making us watch a virtual slow motion replay of last season's Levein highlights.

:yawn:

I think it was September I first expressed my concerns. The decision should have been made late November/early December at the latest when it was quite clear what Levein's thinking was like (or lack of it) and how obstinate his was.

Now we are in a Russian Roulette situation we are unlikely to win. If there are managers around who are likely to collect 23 points from 16 games minimum with a young and largely inexperienced team they're hardly likely to be available and touting themselves around looking for a job with Division One prospects as the most likely scenario.

With the players we have, the team should never have been allowed to drift into its current backwater so close to the treacherous weir of relegation but it has done and there are no easy/four-months-guarantee solutions to be had. Every option is a risk because of the time factor.

With the beliefs I hold, what has happened is beyond comprehension. And when your manager voluntarily gives your team a handicap by playing three/four bad players a match (players who never looked any good) then no-one should have been surprised by the team losing.

But those who run the show should have been able to recognise the problem and should have acted quickly enough to put it right.

No-one advocates a conveyor belt system of appointments but a prudent board should have minimum requirements and be prepared to act swiftly when they're not met (except in exceptional circumstances).

That they didn't may cost us dearly as time goes on but I hope not and have purchased my season ticket as a practical sign of good faith.

With the players we have, the team should never have been allowed to drift into its current backwater so close to the treacherous weir of relegation

Hopefully with a new man at the helm, the team can steer away from treacherous waters and to the safety of the lake that is mid-table safety. Then we can stop using these water based analogies.... :D

10/10

The words 'nail' and 'head' spring to mind :clap:

I don't remember you posting here in the summer.

So shut up. You're making a fool of yourself.

I don't remember you being 'duped' by Levein's appointment. I remember you slagging Levein off very very early, before he'd actually done much wrong yet. Or am I way off here?

I think the board had an incredibly tough decision to sack CL earlier because unlike previous mangers we had, there was a clear long-term plan that both the board and CL had agreed upon. WIth this in mind, unlike previous mangers, CL was given perhaps the benefit of the doubt as the ideas and goals all seemed so rosy for the board. Realistically, i don't think many can argue that the actual plans for the club were ideal for our situation BUT unfortunately CL revealed that although he obviously worked his socks off, he was simply not tactically good enough. I am sure the board considered his position over the Christmas period, but it was that period where we were creating chances but not being able to finish them (Norwich game prime example) and therefore a new striker may have been the solution! I think the board had to give him the last move with buying a new striker and we all hoped that Fryatt could be the answer. However, Sheffield Wed and Plymouth were not simply down to missed chances but more lack of passion and creating very little, in fact, no real signs of a light at the end of the tunnel. And so the board acted and now the search is on. I for one, and i know there are still a couple who still think he needed more time, am happy at the timing of his dismisal. Any earlier and there are those who could argue he may have turned it around and any later, well we will never know now but i'm happy he's gone. Lets hope the new guy is a gem!

I don't like getting personal on here, and normal try to keep most of my posts fairly football related with a bit of a tongue and cheek name calling, sarcasem ect.

However I am going to break this rule, and state that you are the biggest twat, not on this forum, not in Leicestershire, but in fact on the planet earth.

This post has pushed me over the edge, I'm sorry. This moron comes on to this forum and creates stupid threads such as this one, talks rubbish in a very well spoken articulate manor, and those of you who aren't stupid enough to agree with him tolerate it, and offer him a sensible reply.

His standerd of English may be very good, and he may know a few F**king usless facts about railway closures due to snow fall, but its quite clear he knows sweet FA about football.

Most of the topics started by our "learned" friend normal lead to about 5 or 6 people replying just to point out how ridicoulous or of topic... or stupid his threads are, and the fact he will only post in threads started by himslef really does grate on me. He's quite clearly a egotistical moron who refuses to debate new players, new managers, or anything else, he just likes to force his opinion on us all that Craig Levein is and always has been and always will be crap football manager.

Now that Craig has gone this idoit is looking for someone else to blaim, not satisfied that the devil incarnet has left the club. He now wants to blaim the board for not sacking him sooner. Now im wondering, when should we of saked him? when he wasn't doing fantasticly well with Mickys OAPS? when he bought in one or two players in January who needed time to settle in and we had a bit of a bad run? During the summer :blink: exactly how far into this season? If you actually attended matches you would know that the feeling amongst the fans after the Leeds away, and Watford home matches ( the games that followed the Sheff U game ) was the we had played very well, against two teams who are doing better then we could of hoped for. You don't sack a manager for drawing or losing to big teams.

Levein was sacked at the right time, and again if you knew anything about football you would relise that a turn around will not at all be imment. Rob Kelly may get a postive reasult at the weekend, he may even get somthing at Loftus road ( more then likely a draw ) but after that he will tail off, and prove his not worth employing. A new manager will come in, win one or two games over his honey moon period. Then the rot will set back in.

Now im not pro Levein at all, im anti your attitude towards Levein however thats for certain. I think squad that adams left this club led us to this mess, Levein has bought both postives and negatives to the team. He's slightly failed to motivate a team full of young talent, its a small crime compared to that of Micky Adams. From the point of view of a "Leveinest" (as you call them) belive it or not, people like you are yet to win this arguement.

We could still go down, and what then? Do you think the people who weren't to sure about getting Levein's sacking are going to say, oh well we were going down any way. No they're not, they will be questioning people like you who hounded the manager out of his job to early( like precious mikey but we will get onto that later ) and by that I mean the people who started all this rubbish before this season had even started, people like you who got on his case and put the pressure on the squad that wasn't needed, the kind of pressure they didn't endure during the tottenham game. The kind of suppourtes who moaned every given away ball, booed each player they didnt like, and booed each substitution they didn't agree with.

This is probabley my longest post already and I haven't started disecting your drivel yet so I'd better get on with it.

99% of "suppoused" good managers are rated as such due to circumstance, I hope thats a statement you will retract when I point out thats one in a hundred "good" managers are actually good. Arsen Wenger, good manager, Arsenal were nothing before him a top 8 team at beast, several shrewd singings and they go 50 games unbeaten. Alex Ferguson, held off pressure similar to that given to Levein by of some of the morons on here to become the most successful British manager ever. Guss Hiddink succesfull at severl differnt international teams. Jose Mourinho had to buy the players to dominate English football, and he earnt the right to get his postion by winning the champions league with Porto, no easy task. I suppouse the amount of signings Sam Alldayce has made for Bolton on the cheap has no bearing on the fact they are pushing for a champions league place?

Well i've named 5 "good managers" and given reasons why they are good, now I think you should name 500 "good managers" and explain to me why the aren't good.

as I said before just beacuse Levein has gone, doesn't mean these suppoused perseptive posters were right, in fact had these so called perseptive posters not applied pressure to the team we might not be in this mess. Unless you have the abilty to see into both possible outcomes it is still unclear weather or not sacking Levein was the right thing to do. Im not saying Levein should of stayed, what im basically saying is get off your F**king high horse. Your not right yet.

Ah yes the away from did go down the plug hole as soon as adams left, so did half of the has been useless squad that Adams employed. I know you love Micky, and if he is that good a manager they will acheive Premier league statues in 3 or 4 years as they have planned. Instead of going down as soon as Mickys faviourate players retire and the Mcsheffty is sold. Bealive it or not our squad will gain english league experince and be a force to be reckoned with. If we can stay up this season.

It wasn't 20 points was it, If we had 20 points micky would not of resigned it was more like 14. For someone who had sat down at a press confernce and decalred that 2nd place wasnt exceptable a week before the season started, we has very lucky to hold on to his job. This is of course without mentioning the premier league years somthing I'm very opinonated about. Put it this way If Levein had the players to get us a top 10 finish this season, Micky had the players to keep us up in the prem ( bar his dreadful back four)

on to the most ludcrious paragraph yet. oh yes we should of sacked him in the summer, before he's even been given a chance to build his own team :rolleyes: and as far as comparing winning away v Watford (3rd) and Leeds ( struglled in the bottom half most of the season) you haven't really got an arguement there have you, epsiclly as both were under Levein. Again the only thing I can say to you about your next comment is, Moron, Warnock is a Sheff U fan who said he was not intrested in the postion. So explain to me how he's bags were packed. a Depelted Spurs side, your grabbing at straws now. that team was packed full of millon pound ++ players. Who would win our division a thousand times over. I hate repeating myself but who was in charge when we beat Charlton?

If we were watching a action reply of Leveins last season we would have back to back victories over Leeds and Derby to look foward to very soon. Back to back victories that would see us nearing safty. Twat.

To some up you think you very clever predicting Craig Leveins down fall, and now you want to rub your opinions in everyones face by claiming the board should be punished for not sacking him earlier. Your reasonings for punishing the board are however utter shite, and basically your still bitter Adams went. The reason you like Adams is beacuse he bought Prem football to the club and you are shallow, unknowlegable, and arrogant. Levein has gone you have got what you wanted and now you should stop moaning get over Micky Adamas and get behind the club instead of questioning their descion to keep Levein for as long as they did. I also noted you didn't mention the wage bill cutting, somthing to look foward to, players we actually gurantee on having next season factor.

May I suggest as a final note that you stop posting rubbish like this, you have got what you wanted, he's gone. End of, doesn't make you big or in that fact clever. If i was a admin or a mod I would now close this thread.

Strange that I dont think the admin or mods have closed one of your threads before :whistle:

Archived