Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Lass

Alan Smith

Manchester United have confirmed that Alan Smith has suffered a broken leg, as well as a dislocated ankle, in an injury that Sir Alex Ferguson has described as one of the worst he has seen in football.

The England international came on as a substitute in the 1-0 FA Cup defeat at the hands of Liverpool, but was stretchered off with full time approaching after blocking a free kick from John Arne Riise.

Smith appeared to fall heavily on his left ankle and the incident caused considerable concern amongst the United players as he lay stricken on the ground.

Seven minutes of injury time were added at Anfield, and it has now been confirmed that Smith has gone to hospital after suffering the nasty break.

Red Devils boss Ferguson has gone as far as to suggest that Smith's problem is one of the worst he has seen in over 30 years of management, and the blow ends the former Leeds man's participation in the rest of the season, as well as the World Cup finals.

"He has broken his leg and dislocated the ankle joint," Ferguson told MUTV.

"It is a bad one. He has gone to hospital, it looks very long term - it is one of the worst I have seen. I am sure he will be back."

I find it quite disguisting that people are not bothered about someone having a career threatening injury. You wouldn't like it if this happened to you and people were saying it to you, but i guess your all entitled to your opinion.

He may not play for us and may have done bad things in the past but no one deserves this.

He should be respected for what he does on the pitch and not off.

I've always admireded his never say die attitude.

All the best Smithy, get well soon.

It was good that not only the Man Utd but also the Liverpool physios came to help. I was glad to hear that the liverpool fans clapped him well, they could have booed due to impatience especially after all the Gary Neville business.

All the best Smith.

When he played at Leeds, DOL game out and called him a 'thug' considering he played for Leeds at the time, to be SINGLED OUT as a thug, really is something of an achievement.

Twice in his career he has thrown stuff in to the crowd, one of which being the well publicised bottle throwing incident in a premiership game.

Don't need players like that in football, the longer he's out of the game, the better.

fock you.

He's a nasty little sh it like Bowyer.

oh he's a big meany, bad boy. i take it all back :rolleyes:

it's his style of play, to rough up the opposition and he and bowyer do that well. just like savage and lennon used to do for us, do you remember? i don't think you were complaining then when we did what smithy does now.

:yawn:

it's his style of play, to rough up the opposition and he and bowyer do that well. just like savage and lennon used to do for us, do you remember? i don't think you were complaining then when we did what smithy does now.

Amen , I love Smithy's passion and commitment. And its terrible to see whats happened to him.

I would'nt wish this on anyone , Well maybe Dennis Wise :ph34r:

I didn't say anything about his style of play. He's not an awful player.. committed.. quite dirty, there are plenty like him in the premiership. The recent central midfield set ups of him with fletcher or with giggs really do show why united are struggling.. I can't remember the last time such mediocrity occupied the engine room of the united side.

Don't you see that the reason I have no sympathy for him is the following:

a) He often puts in horrific challenges. What goes around inevitably does come around (ironically, this injury is not the result of a challenge)

b) He is an unsavoury character off the pitch. David O'Leary said as much when he was one of his own players and he has on a number of occasions thrown objects in to the crowd. That is unacceptable.

If Savage or Dickov did it, having left us, you'd be **** up in arms about it. Whatsmore, no one made any apologies for Savage when he was here. He was a good player and wound people up on the pitch but he wasn't an arsehole like Smith it.

For those people who want to know why some posts are deleted, well here's your answer!

Example of debate at it's very best.

Having said that I rarely delete anything, merge yes! But then I don't have responsiblity for the technical side of managing this forum.

Archived