Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Kevin McNaughton

Why has Canero gone there? I would have him back if we could get him and if he would come. He'd be perfect for the right wing spot, even if he is more of a full-back. He certainly was alot more comfortable in that role for us in the premiership than Maybury looks for us. I remember watching him play for Scotland when their attacking midfielder got injured and Canero was bought on to play just behind the strikers and he was amazing. I've always wondered what happened between Canero and Levein, considering they were both sweaties he certainly had it in for him.

I think Dundee weren't sure about keeping him on.

I was wondering if there was a connection between Canero and Mo Johnston who is head coach at Metrostars.

If your looking to improve the team you have to start with getting rid of Nissa, he's done alright at Left Back but we could get much better, he's sale would fetch a fair amount, he's probabley on a fairly big wage comapred to most of Levein Signings and we could do without him. It's as Tharcian says just because were winning a few games doesn't mean we should stop improving the team. Left back is still a problem as even if Nissa has improved slightly, he's still never going to dart up the wings a whip a ball in is he.

Absolute rubbish. We have no money to go and buy a quality left back. Nissa would not command much of a transfer and despite his less than effective attacking options he is a more than effective defender at this level with an excellent disciplinary record unlike mccarthy who has been sent offf twice this season and booked 10 times. the only way we can raise money is by selling someone like Stearman which I'm certain no one on here wants to do. sheehan might be a long term answer but looks far far from the finished article at this time. if we played 3-5-2 or indeed 5-3-2 then the need for an attacking full back would be greater but at the moment the creative problems lie further up the field in midfield. though of course it is easy to forget that nissa showed great skill to create joey's second goal vs hull.

I certainly would not consider replacing Johansson in the form that he's been in after Kelly took over. He has been consistently solid and dependable, just what we need in defence. He is not and will never be the type of player that stands out, but he has been quietly effective if not noticeable.

We are conceding less goals from his side of the pitch - he isn't getting torn apart by wingers like he did under Levein, and his aerial strength is essential in this division. Yes Johansson lacks the ability to attack, but as long as he's playing well in his defensive duties then I'll be happy with him.

Sheehan for all his talents is unproven. He is also quite short and so there could be question marks over his aerial ability, which we already lack with Kisnorbo and McCarthy being our only 2 big players. Until he makes a catalogue of errors, I see no reason why we should drop or seek to replace Johansson.

I certainly would not consider replacing Johansson in the form that he's been in after Kelly took over. He has been consistently solid and dependable, just what we need in defence. He is not and will never be the type of player that stands out, but he has been quietly effective if not noticeable.

We are conceding less goals from his side of the pitch - he isn't getting torn apart by wingers like he did under Levein, and his aerial strength is essential in this division. Yes Johansson lacks the ability to attack, but as long as he's playing well in his defensive duties then I'll be happy with him.

Sheehan for all his talents is unproven. He is also quite short and so there could be question marks over his aerial ability, which we already lack with Kisnorbo and McCarthy being our only 2 big players. Until he makes a catalogue of errors, I see no reason why we should drop or seek to replace Johansson.

I agree, I must say I wasn't a fan of Johansson earlier this season due to his, at times, dire distribution of the ball from the back but lately I have seen an improvement in his game. He still isn't the best going forward, not the best with the ball at his feet but he tucked inside well on Friday and made a couple of important headers at the back post to prevent goal scoring opportunities. I still think he was extremely over-rated when he first joined us but at least he's started to roll his sleeves up and getting stuck in for the sake of the team now.

Currently all of our defenders that play (Nissa, McCarthy, Kisnorbo and Stearman) are all over 6 foot or near abouts. There aren't many teams that have that so if for example Nissa was dropped for Sheehan I don't think it would put us at a disadvantaged compared to other teams.

Currently all of our defenders that play (Nissa, McCarthy, Kisnorbo and Stearman) are all over 6 foot or near abouts. There aren't many teams that have that so if for example Nissa was dropped for Sheehan I don't think it would put us at a disadvantaged compared to other teams.

Although I forgot about Stearman, he's not exactly a tower of strength in the air.

The point I was trying to make is that we need Johansson at set pieces because of his height. We would 'get by' with Sheehan in normal play - but we all know our frailties in defending set pieces and I can't think how that would improve by dropping one of our tallest and strongest defenders. Although 3 of our 4 defenders may be 6ft+ - the rest of our team is comparatively short, and even Hughes and Williams who are tall don't inspire me with confidence in the air.

Although I forgot about Stearman, he's not exactly a tower of strength in the air.

The point I was trying to make is that we need Johansson at set pieces because of his height. We would 'get by' with Sheehan in normal play - but we all know our frailties in defending set pieces and I can't think how that would improve by dropping one of our tallest and strongest defenders. Although 3 of our 4 defenders may be 6ft+ - the rest of our team is comparatively short, and even Hughes and Williams who are tall don't inspire me with confidence in the air.

Your right that we need as many tall players as possible for set pieces both attacking and defending, but on the other hand Sheehan is from what i've seen head and shoudlers above any other player at our club at taking both corners and set pieces, perhaps he would create more goals for us?

Stearman might not be as strong as the other defenders but put him in a situation where he's got to win a ball either on the deck or in the air and he rarely comes out the loser, don't you think?

Your right that we need as many tall players as possible for set pieces both attacking and defending, but on the other hand Sheehan is from what i've seen head and shoudlers above any other player at our club at taking both corners and set pieces, perhaps he would create more goals for us?

Stearman might not be as strong as the other defenders but put him in a situation where he's got to win a ball either on the deck or in the air and he rarely comes out the loser, don't you think?

Can't argue about that - but earlier this season I seem to recall that Stearman was at fault for a few goals that we conceded from corners (Luton at home if memory serves particularly sticks out).

Anyway, there are teams in this division that are packed with 6ft+ beasts, QPR are the perfect example, and our team is dwarfed in comparison. It just doesn't fill me with confidence if that situation recurred next season and we subsequently conceded more goals from set pieces.

Can't argue about that - but earlier this season I seem to recall that Stearman was at fault for a few goals that we conceded from corners (Luton at home if memory serves particularly sticks out).

Anyway, there are teams in this division that are packed with 6ft+ beasts, QPR are the perfect example, and our team is dwarfed in comparison. It just doesn't fill me with confidence if that situation recurred next season and we subsequently conceded more goals from set pieces.

I did forget about set pieces, where Stearman has had his fair share of mistakes. I've noticed that Stearman sometimes take position right on the near post, which is crazy given his height and the lack of it throughout our side other than our defenders.

Absolute rubbish. We have no money to go and buy a quality left back. Nissa would not command much of a transfer and despite his less than effective attacking options he is a more than effective defender at this level with an excellent disciplinary record unlike mccarthy who has been sent offf twice this season and booked 10 times. the only way we can raise money is by selling someone like Stearman which I'm certain no one on here wants to do. sheehan might be a long term answer but looks far far from the finished article at this time. if we played 3-5-2 or indeed 5-3-2 then the need for an attacking full back would be greater but at the moment the creative problems lie further up the field in midfield. though of course it is easy to forget that nissa showed great skill to create joey's second goal vs hull.

Great, so we should keep him because skinned one player in one game. I'm sorry? we can't afford a better left back then Niles Eric Johanson, who isn't even a left back, if you'd of bothred to read this topic you'd of found someone suggesting Kevin McNaughton on a free. Nissa normally offers next to nothing going foward, and has been adequate at defending recently. I haven't forget the howlers he had at the start of the season though.

Nissa has been at Bayern and played Premeir league football for Blackburn and is a player who's got quite a good reputation taking into regard his lack of talent. You statement about him not fetching much of a transfere fee but being more then effective at this level is tottally contridictory. If he's that good people will pay money for him :huh: , besides getting his wages off the bill would be the main money saver.

The left back postion needs improving, Thats why we took Brevett on loan ffs. He's going to sign a left back thats not a seceret. <_< . Do you think Kelly is going to keep 3 left backs?( not that Nissa is one) at this cash strapped club? I dont think Nissa will be happy being 4th choice centre half ( thats if you don't count Stearmen) and 2nd/3rd choice left back either.

He's a better winger than Maybury is, very similar defensively and both get played on the right or left.

I think we need to be looking at players of more quality then the canary.

He is a right back for a kick off, Maybury just about does a job on the wing, but we need quality if we are going up next season.

We need 2 natural wingers.

I would also like to see Nils replaced, i dont rate him at all and feel at unease when ever he is near the ball.

I'm not going to bother reading the posts about why Nisse should be dropped because they're so ridiculous; lads, if you don't watch the games, please don't bother posting opinions on who should be playing or not? He has been absolutely essential to our recent good run of form. How you can not pick up on these kind of things watching the games I don't know. Did you see how many goal saving headers he made on the back post just against Palace? Just in the one game?

What is it you want exactly? Two attacking fullbacks, two all out wingers and one playmaking central midfielder? So you want just the two centre halfs and one holding midfielder to be our defense? Brilliant lads, brilliant. You might enjoy losing 5-3 every week, but I'd rather be winning 1-0.

I'm not going to bother reading the posts about why Nisse should be dropped because they're so ridiculous; lads, if you don't watch the games, please don't bother posting opinions on who should be playing or not? He has been absolutely essential to our recent good run of form. How you can not pick up on these kind of things watching the games I don't know. Did you see how many goal saving headers he made on the back post just against Palace? Just in the one game?

What is it you want exactly? Two attacking fullbacks, two all out wingers and one playmaking central midfielder? So you want just the two centre halfs and one holding midfielder to be our defense? Brilliant lads, brilliant. You might enjoy losing 5-3 every week, but I'd rather be winning 1-0.

No not rearly, if you want to be lingering mid table next season with a centre midfeilder playing on the left wing and a right back playing on the right wing then good luck to ya.

Personally i feel we need a natural left winger, right winger and a decent left back to be challenging next season, thats all.

I've watched them alot this season and Johansson has improved alot recebtly. But even so, he's still not a proper left back and that hinders us. I know we've done remarkably well recently, but can you not grasp that it is still possible to want to improve?

My reasons for my comments on Nissa in this thread are because:

a) He's not a left back and offers us nothing going forward

b) He's no better than McCarthy, Gerrbrand, Kisnorbo or Stearman at centre half

c) He won't want to be back-up, he'll want to be first choice.

Given all of that I think if we got an offer come in for him then i'd take it. He'll be one of the high earners at this club and we need to get rid before we can sign apparently. Nissa has done a decent job this season, but if we could make a profit on him and save his wages then i'd do it. My personal opinion, i've seen him over 20 times this season and he's not a proper left back and not any better at centre half than the three paddy's and Stearman. If you think otherwsie then fair enough.

I'm not looking at the stats but I think it's safe to assume this is the best our defence has been for probably 5 years; personally I don't think changing it is the answer, to be honest. Johansson was dissapointing at the start of the season, perhaps, but maybe only because he was built up to be some kind of world superstar because he had played Premiership football the year before.

End of the day he's a very good defender and someone we should be pleased to have, and luckily he's going nowhere. Brevett's signing is not an indication of Kelly's intentions to buy a replacement left back; it's an indication that every other left back at the club is injured, and he would rather play an old on loan left back there than do something like Adams or Levein would tend to do and play someone out of position there (Remember Matt Heath at right back?)

Given all of that I think if we got an offer come in for him then i'd take it. He'll be one of the high earners at this club and we need to get rid before we can sign apparently. Nissa has done a decent job this season, but if we could make a profit on him and save his wages then i'd do it. My personal opinion, i've seen him over 20 times this season and he's not a proper left back and not any better at centre half than the three paddy's and Stearman. If you think otherwsie then fair enough.

Oh of course. If we get an offer for him that's a different matter entirely. Say a Sheffield Utd were to come in for him then fair enough. I'm just being realistic when I assume that will not happen!

I'm not looking at the stats but I think it's safe to assume this is the best our defence has been for probably 5 years; personally I don't think changing it is the answer, to be honest. Johansson was dissapointing at the start of the season, perhaps, but maybe only because he was built up to be some kind of world superstar because he had played Premiership football the year before.

End of the day he's a very good defender and someone we should be pleased to have, and luckily he's going nowhere. Brevett's signing is not an indication of Kelly's intentions to buy a replacement left back; it's an indication that every other left back at the club is injured, and he would rather play an old on loan left back there than do something like Adams or Levein would tend to do and play someone out of position there (Remember Matt Heath at right back?)

He hasn't had a problem doing that with Maybury or Stephen Hughes.

Also, our defence is the best it's been for 5 years? I do agree that individually they are looking great, but we are still conceding a fair few goals. Given we've only lost twice in 12 games, it's startling that we've only kept 3 clean sheets in that time.

No I just want two full backs. Nissa is not a full back, he offers nothing going foward and is awkward on the ball, like alot of Centre halfs. As I say he's been doing alright defensivly recently but we can do better.

Oh of course. If we get an offer for him that's a different matter entirely. Say a Sheffield Utd were to come in for him then fair enough. I'm just being realistic when I assume that will not happen!

Then in that case I also agree with you. If no bid comes in, then i've not got a problem with Nissa staying. If he however does get exposed at left back next season then i'd be keen for Kelly to adhere to the problem if it arose, i.e. give Sheehan a run in the team or purchase a new left back.

It's going to be an interesting and frustrating sumemr because I can't see us having much money to play with, it's a good job the world cup is on to distract us.

No I just want two full backs. Nissa is not a full back, he offers nothing going foward and is awkward on the ball, like alot of Centre halfs. As I say he's been doing alright defensivly recently but we can do better.

I think that sums it up, there must be better options for city whether in reserves or in the transfer market. If we are going to improve some players may have to be sacrificed even if in fact they have done little wrong!!!

Archived