Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Kevin McNaughton

Then in that case I also agree with you. If no bid comes in, then i've not got a problem with Nissa staying. If he however does get exposed at left back next season then i'd be keen for Kelly to adhere to the problem if it arose, i.e. give Sheehan a run in the team or purchase a new left back.

It's going to be an interesting and frustrating sumemr because I can't see us having much money to play with, it's a good job the world cup is on to distract us.

I will put my mortgage on us signing a Left back, a Centre Midfield, and one winger maybe two.

It's a safe bet, as I dont have a mortgage.

MadDog, obviously it would be a bit hard to sell Nissa without any offers being made for him. :rolleyes:

I will put my mortgage on us signing a Left back, a Centre Midfield, and one winger maybe two.

It's a safe bet, as I dont have a mortgage.

MadDog, obviously it would be a bit hard to sell Nissa without any offers being made for him. :rolleyes:

I also think that will be the criteria, but with little money the excitement of these targets might be mediocre at best. But perhaps i'm under-estimating our financial state and Kelly's ability to wheel and deal.

I also think that will be the criteria, but with little money the excitement of these targets might be mediocre at best. But perhaps i'm under-estimating our financial state and Kelly's ability to wheel and deal.

I hate to go round in circles but our lack of cash is the reason we should be selling mediocre players like Nissa.

No not rearly, if you want to be lingering mid table next season with a centre midfeilder playing on the left wing and a right back playing on the right wing then good luck to ya.

Personally i feel we need a natural left winger, right winger and a decent left back to be challenging next season, thats all.

To be honest, us playing with a central midfielder on the left and right back playing as a right midfielder has seen us produce play-off form, if not top two, recently. Of course it is not nailed on that we will continue this form next season playing the same way but why shouldn't we? It's working at the minute against teams like Luton, Crystal Palace, Hull etc who may all be in this division still next season, Palace may even gain promotion, so who's to say we won't be able to re-create this form again next season playing a similar way with similar personnel?

Anyway, all this talk of playing palyers out of their natural positions is a bit meaningless anyway. When footballers start of at football academies they get played all over the pitch to give them an understanding of what you have to do in each role. The players gradually find their best or preferred position but they should all be able to play more than just the one position to a good standard. That's why they are professionals.

When you look at it Maybury's been playing right midfield but half the time Stearman's further up the field than himself so for a large part of the game Maybury is practically playing as a right back anyway. And in my opinion Maybury's looked much better since pushing up to midfield than he had looked at right/left back earlier this season. Still not brilliant but at least now when he makes a mistake with his passing the opposition only gain possession on the halfway line and not the edge of our area. You may have noticed on Friday that Maybury played Williams into trouble on the edge of our area which fortunately didn't lead to a goal for CP. That was because Maybury was playing at right back. If he'd done a similar thing at right midfield it would be less likely to cost us.

We can talk about playing a natural wingers out wide or full backs at full back but what we have at the minute is a group of players that know their roles and they look like a team not individuals.

To be honest, us playing with a central midfielder on the left and right back playing as a right midfielder has seen us produce play-off form, if not top two, recently. Of course it is not nailed on that we will continue this form next season playing the same way but why shouldn't we? It's working at the minute against teams like Luton, Crystal Palace, Hull etc who may all be in this division still next season, Palace may even gain promotion, so who's to say we won't be able to re-create this form again next season playing a similar way with similar personnel?

Anyway, all this talk of playing palyers out of their natural positions is a bit meaningless anyway. When footballers start of at football academies they get played all over the pitch to give them an understanding of what you have to do in each role. The players gradually find their best or preferred position but they should all be able to play more than just the one position to a good standard. That's why they are professionals.

When you look at it Maybury's been playing right midfield but half the time Stearman's further up the field than himself so for a large part of the game Maybury is practically playing as a right back anyway. And in my opinion Maybury's looked much better since pushing up to midfield than he had looked at right/left back earlier this season. Still not brilliant but at least now when he makes a mistake with his passing the opposition only gain possession on the halfway line and not the edge of our area. You may have noticed on Friday that Maybury played Williams into trouble on the edge of our area which fortunately didn't lead to a goal for CP. That was because Maybury was playing at right back. If he'd done a similar thing at right midfield it would be less likely to cost us.

We can talk about playing a natural wingers out wide or full backs at full back but what we have at the minute is a group of players that know their roles and they look like a team not individuals.

Can't argue much with that. But I do believe that if possible we should look to play players in their preferred position and buy players for select positions aswell.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't look too improve the team or squad though does it, Chelsea won the Premiership last year but still bought players in the summer. At the minute Kelly has had to make the best with what he's got, he may choose to buy a winger or left back or whatever position with what ever funds he may get, but one thing is certain he will look at signing some players.

lets face it a fully fit alan sheehan is the best LEFT BACK we have, yes he has been poor when in the team so far, but a run in the side while confidence is high could see him show his true ability, maybe starting at cov away

It doesn't mean we shouldn't look too improve the team or squad though does it, Chelsea won the Premiership last year but still bought players in the summer. At the minute Kelly has had to make the best with what he's got, he may choose to buy a winger or left back or whatever position with what ever funds he may get, but one thing is certain he will look at signing some players.

Yes, I think we should always be looking to improve. We should be improving our current players as much as possible at the training ground because most of them are yet to reach their peak and we have a coach in Rob Kelly who has a good reputation working with youngsters. I think the key thing is to try and improve our squad in the summer because I think we have the look of a good team about us it's just a case of having enough about the place to retain a decent level of performance when some of our more important players are out injured/suspended. For example, lose Fryatt or Hume for 2 months and we could fall out of the running for promotion next season unless we have someone who can do a decent job to replace them. We won't be able to get another striker as good as them two, I don't even think we should be looking for another striker ahead of other positions, but I think we should be looking to improve upon our squad for competition purposes.

I'll admit that Maybury and Johansson are two of the weaker links in our starting 11 of late but you can't dismiss the role they've played in helping us to safety. I know you can't be blindly loyal to them but I do think the 14ish players that has carried us through most of the last few weeks deserve a crack next season to show if they can carry it on.

I'll admit that Maybury and Johansson are two of the weaker links in our starting 11 of late but you can't dismiss the role they've played in helping us to safety. I know you can't be blindly loyal to them but I do think the 14ish players that has carried us through most of the last few weeks deserve a crack next season to show if they can carry it on.

I think the 14 players you mention (there or there abouts) should be part of the team next season. A core of say 8 or 9 of them, with the others being squad players and two or three new first teamers to strengthen the squad.

Great, so we should keep him because skinned one player in one game. I'm sorry? we can't afford a better left back then Niles Eric Johanson, who isn't even a left back, if you'd of bothred to read this topic you'd of found someone suggesting Kevin McNaughton on a free. Nissa normally offers next to nothing going foward, and has been adequate at defending recently. I haven't forget the howlers he had at the start of the season though.

Nissa has been at Bayern and played Premeir league football for Blackburn and is a player who's got quite a good reputation taking into regard his lack of talent. You statement about him not fetching much of a transfere fee but being more then effective at this level is tottally contridictory. If he's that good people will pay money for him :huh: , besides getting his wages off the bill would be the main money saver.

The left back postion needs improving, Thats why we took Brevett on loan ffs. He's going to sign a left back thats not a seceret. <_< . Do you think Kelly is going to keep 3 left backs?( not that Nissa is one) at this cash strapped club? I dont think Nissa will be happy being 4th choice centre half ( thats if you don't count Stearmen) and 2nd/3rd choice left back either.

Thanks but I had read the topic. my reply was simply to your suggestion that we sell Nissa. Just how much do you think we would get? If you had read my reply properly you would understand that imo he is good enough at this level. this does not mean he is good enough at a higher level. I agree he is no left back but some of his defensive work (especially in the air) has been very good af late. In fact without some of his challenges we would probably not have beaten c.palace. if you seriously think signing brevett on loan seriously improves our left back position then i think you are in cloud cuckoo land. we could of course sell him and you may turn out to be right but if we do then we will need another centre back. take into account kisnorbo has a dodgy Knee, mccarthy will spend at least some of the season out suspended and gerrbrand is unproven and has mixed some very assured displays with some really awful ones. with the squad size we can afford we need players who can at least play in more than one position. as for the wages I don't know how much he earns but if it is more than 7-8k per week I would be surprised. as for mcnaughton i am unable to give an informed opinion but am happy to accept those who say he is ok.

I really do have no idea how much we could get for him, as I say he's overrated, id be happy with anything around 450,000, 500,000 mark tbh.

Well Rufus was bought in as cover not to improve the postion obviously. We're going to sign a Left back, and If we are going to sign a left back I think it should be one who's better then Nissa. Now your saying we should hold on to him as a centre back, where as im not denying he can be a useful player in that postion at this level IMO he's not as good as Kisnorbo, Stearmen or Paddy, and he's just as touch and go as Gerrbrand ( Sheff U away springs to mind ) He's going to be one of the higher earners at the club, a very expensive back up player if you ask me!

Archived