Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Will Kelly do a good job next season?

Kelly to do well?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Kelly to do well?

• yes
    • no

I just want to know if people think he will do a good job next season or will he be wanted out after 10 games? we have to remember he has little experience in the transfer market.

also please dont delete this topic like my last one, i am just enquiring.

I'd like to go on record today (17 April), with several players out of contract, others with mid/long-term injuries, a rather thin-looking squad and probably no money, coupled with a manager with virtually no experience but an excellent if rather pragmatic start to his career, in saying that I have absolutely no idea how Robert Kelly and LCFC will get on in their first 10 games of next season.

I'd like to go on record today (17 April), with several players out of contract, others with mid/long-term injuries, a rather thin-looking squad and probably no money, coupled with a manager with virtually no experience but an excellent if rather pragmatic start to his career, in saying that I have absolutely no idea how Robert Kelly and LCFC will get on in their first 10 games of next season.

I'm sure you do you big tease :P

Through no fault of Rob Kelly he won't be our manager this time next season, but Tim Davies and Jo Bucci will still be at the Club.

Sadly we are set up to fail, we have a paper thin squad with no real chance of adding the 6-8 players required to give us a competitve squad to even break the top 10. Kelly will have to pick up the Academy rejects or a few old lags to keep us in the division and come December that won't be enough to keep the fans happy. We can't keep 11 players for 46 games plus cups.

Through no fault of Rob Kelly he won't be our manager this time next season, but Tim Davies and Jo Bucci will still be at the Club.

Sadly we are set up to fail, we have a paper thin squad with no real chance of adding the 6-8 players required to give us a competitve squad to even break the top 10. Kelly will have to pick up the Academy rejects or a few old lags to keep us in the division and come December that won't be enough to keep the fans happy. We can't keep 11 players for 46 games plus cups.

Don't be too optimistic will you!!!!! :D

I agree but what do you mean by fail, do you mean promotion????. It all depends on the players Kelly brings in the summer, if he has to use the reserves etc then in my opinion mid table looks most likely. Top 6 looks diificult but who knows!!!

Don't be too optimistic will you!!!!! :D

I agree but what do you mean by fail, do you mean promotion????. It all depends on the players Kelly brings in the summer, if he has to use the reserves etc then in my opinion mid table looks most likely. Top 6 looks diificult but who knows!!!

Don't say that - some people round here think that there are some world superstars in the reserves who would turn us into promotion certainties. Mssrs Chambers, Porter, Sheehan et al all should be in and around the first team you know :whistle::ph34r::rolleyes:

Im saying nutin' then I cant make a prannit out of myself when I (very usually) get it wrong. I hope RK does a good job, hes a likeable bloke and has pulled us out of the shite and ill always be grateful to him for that. As to whether he'll do a good job...I dunno :unsure:

I'm going to stick my head on the line and say he WILL do a good job next season, and by that I mean Top 10-playoff area.

I have backed him since day 1 unlike the majority and I will stick by him with the results and performances he has given us.

Some people here want the guy to fail just so they can say 'I told you so' etc etc - they didn't give him a chance when he was appointed and they aren't giving him a chance now that he's led us to safety.

Don't say that - some people round here think that there are some world superstars in the reserves who would turn us into promotion certainties. Mssrs Chambers, Porter, Sheehan et al all should be in and around the first team you know :whistle::ph34r::rolleyes:

Yeah, I get your point!!! :D:D

I suppose we will have to wait and see, but IMO, the reserves are a unknown quantity, an some of em will require time and for some the gap from first team\reserves will be too much!!! :ph34r:

I'm going to stick my head on the line and say he WILL do a good job next season, and by that I mean Top 10-playoff area.

I have backed him since day 1 unlike the majority and I will stick by him with the results and performances he has given us.

Some people here want the guy to fail just so they can say 'I told you so' etc etc - they didn't give him a chance when he was appointed and they aren't giving him a chance now that he's led us to safety.

What majority is that then Anish? Most of the people I know back RK to the hilt, myself included. No majority there then.

I'm unsure mainly because this club has been ****ed for several years now and it's hard to predict anything other than it will be eventful.

The main thing is that Rob Kelly has managed to keep us up by winning 7 out of 12 matches and only losing 2. That is a proud record and proves that this team can put a good run together, he must use that as a benchmark next season and if the players can't meet that then get rid. He is a motivator, something neither Levein or Adams naturally had. If you've got a team with some quality in it like ours, a manager who can give players belief and get them to punch above their weight then there's a good chance it will lead to success.

I just hope Kelly stays focused on what needs to be achieved here and doesn't sell himself or the club short by taking the easy option and never striving to improve. He needs to make some brave decisions on the team selection and who stays and who goes this summer and more importantly who he brings in. Tiatto needs to be shipped out as do Hammond, Maybury, Douglas, Sylla, Hamill and possibly Hughes if he doesn't step up a gear.

We need a slice of luck next season, but there are clubs in this league with less quality, less money and smaller squads that have achieved a more than respectable league position (Preston, Luton, etc). The manager plays a big part in this league, more than the players as it's not about quality it's about mentality and all striving for the same thing. Grit and determination, not always pretty.

I'm unsure, but atleast we are better off than we were 3 months ago.

What majority is that then Anish? Most of the people I know back RK to the hilt, myself included. No majority there then.

I said "I backed Kelly from day 1 unlike the majority" - there was only a few of us who backed Kelly after his first game against Southampton. And it certainly wasn't a majority.

I recall many people on here seemed to think he was part of the problem and should have been shafted along with Levein. So much for giving the guy a chance eh?

From what I've read virtually everyone wanted Kelly to be given his chance to manage on a long-term basis.

If some think he'll fail in what way does that equate with them wanting him to fail?. By what logic would any Leicester City fan want a manager to fail?

Even the greatest sceptics cannot fail to admire his lifting us out of the mire but, unlike you, I am also convinced he played a significant part in what went before and the fact that he's been called a "Levein Mark Two" for his tactics suggests that other fans have noticed it as well.

Nationwider, who usually talks sense in my experience, has mentioned his pragmatism and inexperience within the transfer market and I have doubts about lots of things, not least the glaring weaknesses in our team.

Leicester City to my mind don't have what I consider to be a "football" team as such but a team of well-oiled and relentless corn grinders who might yet be modified to be something more sophisticated. I am not even sure that sophisticated football is wanted by today's City fans.

A massive 5,000+ travelled to Coventry to witness what was always going to be a local tribal battle. They wanted to see a war and will probably remember Kisnorbo's tackle as one of the highlights.

If that is the case - and I can relish combat as much as anyone - we would still have to change our team because our own warriors are too small and too lightweight to overcome the Preston's of this world.

Unfortunately for those so inclined, we can't afford another all-change in personnel, so a team with speed, stamina, and sophistication is our only hope of promotion and of these three it is the sophistication that's lacking, big time.

None of this means that I, or presumably anyone else, hopes that Kelly fails. Just that some of us don't necessarily view him like some sort of conquering hero.

For what it it's worth, for Leicester City's sake, I hope you feel the same undiluted loyalty and belief come the end of next season. That'll be fine by me. Indeed far better than seeing any of my, possibly unfounded concerns, bourne out.

Yes - Rob Kelly will do a good job next season.

I think there's a problem here though. We had one awesome manager in Martin O'Neill, and we assume that every new manager can replicate what he did. They can't. It's about time we took a reality check, and realised that Rob Kelly doing well next season probably won't mean automatic promotion or even the play offs. For me, I would be pleased if we achieved top half - that would be progress.

I said "I backed Kelly from day 1 unlike the majority" - there was only a few of us who backed Kelly after his first game against Southampton. And it certainly wasn't a majority.

I recall many people on here seemed to think he was part of the problem and should have been shafted along with Levein. So much for giving the guy a chance eh?

We are obviously talking to different people Anish. Not everyone who supports Leicester posts on here. I think it was me and Ric Flair and a couple of others who thought we should get rid of Levein and give Kelly a go. I think you are refering to Barton Fox who appears to have a problem with Kelly, which is of course his right. :)

I think this one's aimed at me so I'll give it the dignity of a reply.

Leicester City don't have much money. They spend a considerable amount financing an Academy to produce players for one reason only- to reach first team standard where some can remain with the team and others can be sold to help our cash flow. There is no other reason for the Academy that I know of unless it has somehow become part of social services.

I'm not sure what Leicester's Academy costs but £2.25m was mentioned for one club. Whatever, it's expensive, and to benefit the club properly needs to "graduate" two/three players per season through to first team level.

Last year Stearman broke through. This year O'Grady broke through. So we are two/four players short. Wesolowski would have broken through and then there are the three mentioned.

Anish might colour his argument by sarcastically suggesting I (or whoever) think Chambers, Porter and Sheehan are world superstars.

The truth that of the three I believe Chambers to be a star in the making along the lines of Allen Clarke, that Sheehan will benefit our first team as an attacking left back and that Porter may have something to offer. I might be wrong on all counts and would like to find out.

My case for their inclusion is simpler to explain than assessing their long term capabilities.

In Chambers case he would be a greater goal threat than either Hammond or O'Grady on the bench, of that I have no doubts whatsoever.

Sheehan, I believe, has more to offer at left-back than Johansson for his free-kicks, attacking support and ability to pass. Porter, meanwhile, is the only player in the club who genuinely plays winger and midfield and so might, I only say might, be a worthwhile substitute rather than Sylla or Tiatto.

If two out of three broke through then the Academy would be up to target. If not we could act accordingly.

If the team stays as it is with Joey gone in the summer we will finish around 12th i reckon.

If we manage to get a Decent left back a natural left and right winger and someone decent to replace Joey, what with Hume and Fryatt doing the business up front i cant see why we cant make the play offs.

The obvious problem will be money to by 3/4 players needed, so will more then likely come down to Free transfers, which usually does'nt bring great quality.

Kelly deserves the job and rearly admire the bloke, i hope he manages to guide us up there and am sure he will if not next season the season after.

I think this one's aimed at me so I'll give it the dignity of a reply.

Leicester City don't have much money. They spend a considerable amount financing an Academy to produce players for one reason only- to reach first team standard where some can remain with the team and others can be sold to help our cash flow. There is no other reason for the Academy that I know of unless it has somehow become part of social services.

I'm not sure what Leicester's Academy costs but £2.25m was mentioned for one club. Whatever, it's expensive, and to benefit the club properly needs to "graduate" two/three players per season through to first team level.

Last year Stearman broke through. This year O'Grady broke through. So we are two/four players short. Wesolowski would have broken through and then there are the three mentioned.

Anish might colour his argument by sarcastically suggesting I (or whoever) think Chambers, Porter and Sheehan are world superstars.

The truth that of the three I believe Chambers to be a star in the making along the lines of Allen Clarke, that Sheehan will benefit our first team as an attacking left back and that Porter may have something to offer. I might be wrong on all counts and would like to find out.

My case for their inclusion is simpler to explain than assessing their long term capabilities.

In Chambers case he would be a greater goal threat than either Hammond or O'Grady on the bench, of that I have no doubts whatsoever.

Sheehan, I believe, has more to offer at left-back than Johansson for his free-kicks, attacking support and ability to pass than Johansson. Porter, meanwhile, is the only player in the club who genuinely plays winger and midfield and so might, I only say might, be a worthwhile substitute rather than Sylla or Tiatto.

If two out of three broke through then the Academy would be up to target. If not we could act accordingly.

I totally agree. We have the same views on utilising the players from the academy. We've bought 4 players through from the academy in the past 2 seasons and all 4 have looked excellent, 2 of them looking like being the best players at our club (Stearman and Wesolowski). I'm not saying that all academy players can have this impact for us, but where as Adams neglected the youngsters and Levein took a keen interest in blooding the academy players in to our first team i'd hope that Kelly atleast makes it a priority to give the youngsters a chance.

The problem is although we are close to wrapping up the under 18 league title if we can win our last 2 games left, there are only 1 or 2 that are ready to make the step up and that's Porter and Dodds. Chambers and Mattock to follow shortly and it's imperitive that the club keeps producing these players year after year.

I hope Kelly gives everyone a clean slate in the summer including all the youngsters and then anyone who has a good pre-season is selected on merit.

Archived