Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Curbishley To Resign At End Of Season

Alan Curbishley will leave his position as Charlton Athletic manager at the end of the season.

curbishley_sombre.jpg

After 15 years at the Valley helm, Curbishley has opted to end his association with The Addicks come the summer.

Curbishley has been interviewed by The Football Association for the England job and he remains in the frame to replace Sven Goran Eriksson.

He is certainly now available to succeed Eriksson, following his decision to quit Charlton coupled with Luiz Felipe Scolari's announcement that he no longer wants the England post.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray revealed before the club's game against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday evening that Curbishley would be moving on.

The former Addicks midfielder had been delaying a decision on a new contract in the capital until the summer, but will instead relinquish the reins completely.

His decision will now spark talk as to his next post, as Curbishley has also been linked with the vacant Newcastle United job.

During Curbishley's tenure at The Valley, he has established Charlton in The Premiership and taken the team close to European qualification.

He's done a magnificent job, and he deserves a chance to manage at a bigger club than Charlton. I'm sure he could do a great job for Newcastle but they usually go for big name managers so he'll probably be overlooked by them :thumbdown:

I don't think he'll get the England job, its bound to be MacClaren after his escopades with Middlesborough in the UEFA cup. I get the impression anyway that Curbishley really hasn't enjoyed the England manager selection process.

Curbishley hinted he would be leaving Charlton weeks ago, so I don't think we can just put two and two together and get the next England manager. Curbishley was allegedly given a second interview out of politeness by the FA - the other candidates had all had two, and Curbs was so clearly p1ssed off that the whole thing was dragging on for so long that the FA took sympathy on him.

I don't think he'll be England manager. I reckon McClaren still has the edge just over Allardyce. Press opinion suggests O'Neill has talked himself out of it.

Curbishley could end up at Newcastle (unlikely, as he's not likely to attract high profile talent any more than Roeder is) or Bolton or Middlesbrough (far more likely) if one of their managers gets the England job.

well done alan curbishley, performed a miracle at charlton.

i can't believe some charlton fans wanted him out during his stay at the club, discraceful really.

Its not totally unfair to put his achievements alongside MON's achievements here... Must definitely be one of the, if not the best, manager at Charlton in their history...

Watch Out for them being in the Championship after next season.

It's quite funny on the 606 message board @ the beeb, because half the Charlton fans think that way ^ and the other half think they'll be better off with a new manager. :ermm:

What's funnier still is, some of them have touted Peter Taylor as a suitable replacement!

Poor deluded sods. :D

Archived