Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TAFKA Castroneves

Reflection - the 2005/2006 Season

Well seeing as the season is well and truly over I thought I'd throw this topic out in the open. We've had two managers this season, a great cup upset, a relegation battle which was close to claiming our club, some amazing goals, a good few players come and go, a few bad ones go and stay. But for you, what memories will stand out for you from this season? And I'm really talking good memories, even though there were of course a lot of bad ones. Stuff that can be looked back on with a smile on the face. I've put mine into a top 10.

10) Reversing the Sheffield Utd Result

We started off this season by loosing massivly at Sheffield United live on Sky, but then came December and we turned them over and won by a very similar margin. At the time we all talked (and afterwards) about how this result possibly harmed our club more due to it prolonging Levein's time in office. But now that we can look back I think this was a great memory for this season, this side is now a Premiership team and we beat them (more on beating Premiership sides later :P ). In this match we proved to the rest of the Championship we could hang with the big boys, and that despite we were going through a bad patch we were still a force.

9) The First Home Game of the Season

This is looking a long way back, but after the upset of loosing horribly to Sheffield Utd we then faced Stoke at the Walkers. I remember listening to this game on the internet and listening to us do a number on them. Connolly's hattrick and De Vries even managing to score was great, and at the time it felt like we WERE able to be a force and be at the top of the table in the Championship. Of course it didn't turn out like that, but this game for me was still one I listened to feeling happy about my team.

8) Matty Fryatt and Iain Hume

When we signed Iain Hume and Matty Fryatt I was a slight bit skeptical, I had never seen either man play and didn't know what to expect. But they were the strikeforce of the season in City colours. Most of the time these two got together up front they done the buisness, and it was great to see - and it brought back some great feelings at times when things weren't looking the greatest.

7) The Reading Draw

Much later on in the season I remember a promotion party coming along to the Walkers, and how we (despite media coverage) outplayed the Championship winners on the way to a draw. We performed so well on this day and gave Reading a hell of a game.

6) Joey's Goal

Yes, THE goal of the season. Joey's halfway line screamer against Hull which just flew over Myhill to send everyone into raptures. Even if there are doubts as if he meant to do it or not it was unbelievable.

5) Rob Kelly - the Leicester City Manager

After Levein left and the saga with numerous Championship managers went down there was one man who stood up and took the club out of trouble - Rob Kelly. Him and Stowell done a hell of a job to keep this club in the Division and the moment when he was offered the job full time it was amazing. With the worry setting into my mind as to if he would even be around to get the post it was great to have Rob sign on the dotted line.

4) Knowing that We're Safe

The day when Sheffield Wednesday condemned Millwall, Crewe and Brighton to League 1 football is a memory that will live with me for a long time. Even though we had pulled away from the bottom of the league it was still nice to see we had made it, that we weren't down and that we had pulled off the great escape.

3) Joey Gudjonsson

Well, he possibly should be higher up but this man had a hell of a last season for this club. His performances until the last few games were top notch - and against what anyone could have thought last season. Joey gave his all (most of the time :P ) in a City shirt and had an amazing season. The times when the club was down (Stoke away anyone?) he stood up and was accounted for, and without that we could have been in a lot more trouble.

2) QPR 2 - Leicester City 3

The most important league result of the season. The away trip to QPR which saw us fight and scrap for the most important three points of the season. This game was the game which turned us, before this game I could not see us win many of our last games - and the maths to me said that that would equal relegation. But we went to Lotus Road, a game no-one expected us to win...and we won. Stephen Hughes slammed home the winner and started off our road to survival.

1) Tottenham

For me this was my moment of the season, some might argue but I do have my reasons. We were struggling in the Championship heading into January, Levein's tactics and team selection wasn't working and causing us all sorts of problems, our form was appauling, our home form - even worse...and we had to face a top 4 Premiership team at the Walkers in the FA Cup - who themselves were on a brillant run of form at the top of the table. The reason why this tops to me, is because it was unexpected, completly unexpected. No-one expected struggling Leicester City to even give Spurs a worry throughout the 90 minutes, and of course it started that way...but our comeback was stuff of legends. Possibly one of the greatest cup comebacks of all time as we toppled them 3-2 in the last minute. To top things off Mark De Vries had a brillant performance, his best performance in a Leicester shirt. Levein for once admitted he was wrong and took off Hamill to bring on Hammond - a decision which won us the match over the ninty minutes. The lads gave it everything they had and by the end had outplayed the favourites, the underdog had won. So much went right in this game - completly unlike the majority of the rest of our season, and I will remember it for years to come.

Wow, that was longer than I expected :P what are your memories of the last season?

You don't have to do a top ten :P

All the things you mentioned above - it was a good summary. But mainly the demolition of Sheffield United when we demonstrated what could be if we played without fear and with an unyielding determination to go forward from start to finish. Great entertainment. Football as it should be played.

Spurs was, although a great evening, a fluke.

The pivotal moment - the win against QPR.

The best individual moment - Joey's goal against Hull, easily.

Miracle of the season - Patrick Kisnorbo

Reasons to be cheerful? Iain Hume, Richard Stearman, Matt Fryatt and James Wesolowski.

The Outlook - Overcast, but with the chance of bright spells later.

I remember when I was at the Spurs FA Cup game and we came out for the second half really well and Hughesy scored that brilliant goal after a poor Ryan Smith corner, and everyone was going mad as I was in the Kop and we were in front of it.

I remember I was crying with joy at 2-2, but 3-2 was just indescribable, so so happy, amazing.

Oh also another memory of that game was when it was about the 92nd minute and fat-boy Paul Robinson was rushing to take his goal kick with 100% urgency and it was just great to see as it was against Leicester, who at the time, as we all know, were not doing well in the league at all. Fantastic.

All of the above but im throwing in the Hull away trip, not the game because that was shit but the whole day in general. It was one of my most enjoyable away games ever and the company was excellent the only dampener was the fact Stez couldnt be in attendance.

I am forever in Jason Hullcox's debt for the hospitality he showed to Cobbo, Scowy, Teeno and myself.

Wharra legend :thumbup:

Home game of the year: Tottenham

Home league game of the year: palace 2-0 when we stayed up

Away game of the year that i went to: Brighton

Player of the year: Joey

young player of the year: stearman

Day out of fthe year: coventry

Worst away day: Sheff Wed

Worst home game: Cardiff lost 1-2

Worst spell: Christmas 2 home games in 4 days milwall and crewe bottom 2 teams, just 1 point taken

best thing i did: moved from kop to L1

Most annoying thing: When Henry stands and plays his trumpet and takes applause

Favourite chant: du du du du matty fryatt, easy after scoring

Funniest chant: Play up pompey (to sheff utd) we can see you holding hands (brighton) 1-0 on your big day out (to reading) Wheres youy scoreboard gone (preston) 2-0 and you fuked it up (tottenham)

Hero of the year: Rob kelly

Joke of the year: home kit 1 year cycle, dropped off by fox travel 3 and a half hours before kick off for the palace game.

worst player of the year: joe hammil

Memory of the year: mdv v tottenham last minute

Twat of the year: dennis wise

Two top moments stand out this season:

1) MDV scoring at the Cop end to seal the win against Spurs and then even better was driving back to London with my city scarf flying out the window trying to remember the last time I could do that with so much pride...then waving at all the Spurs fans who had looked so smug and sure of themselves on the way to city. The day after walking round central London in my city shirt even though it was fooking cold.

2) Watching Joey's goal on the internet again and again, then e-mailing it round to everyone I knew to show them how good we could be.

Times like that remind me why despite all the crap and the four hour return trips after another bore draw i'll still go next season and put myself through the same thing until times get better and I can truly enjoy it again.

All of the above but im throwing in the Hull away trip, not the game because that was shit but the whole day in general. It was one of my most enjoyable away games ever and the company was excellent the only dampener was the fact Stez couldnt be in attendance.

I am forever in Jason Hullcox's debt for the hospitality he showed to Cobbo, Scowy, Teeno and myself.

Wharra legend :thumbup:

:blush:

Planning another Hullcox Hospitality day for next year - watch this space. :thumbup:

luton away was the best away day of the year i think. we won in the last minute, a good atmosphere was created most fans stood, and our goal was in front of our end we went crazy..

cov was ok but atmosphere and result werent quite of expectation.

not a great season to remember but i loved the buzz of every match home and away (more so obviously) and hopefully next season we can aim for maybe 6th place and sneak the play offs?

lclcflcfc leicester :smile:

luton away was the best away day of the year i think. we won in the last minute, a good atmosphere was created most fans stood, and our goal was in front of our end we went crazy..

I'd have to agree. It was a cracking day out.

Great pub, great crack, great result! :thumbup:

Home game of the year: Sheff Utd

Away game of the year that i went to: Bolton was fun but i didnt go many

Player of the year: Joey

young player of the year: Stearman

Day out of fthe year: Cov

Worst away day: Sheff Wed :(

Worst home game: Norwich on new years eve - 1-0 loss

Worst spell: xmas period

best thing i did: looking up before joey hit it from halfway and caught it all when my mate missed the lot :D

Most annoying thing: "added on time 3 mins, this msg is sponsered by...."

Favourite chant: dennis wise what a willy puller, joey from the halfway line

Hero of the year: Rob kelly

worst player of the year: momo sylla

Memory of the year: mdv sliding it past englands number 1 t o send 5,000 cockernees packing

Twat of the year: dennis wise / craig levein

Archived