Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

O'Neill set to be boro boss

For O'Neill to take a job, everything will have to be absolutely just-so for him. He'll want complete autonomy over first-team affairs without having to bother himself with club policy on things like the youth team structure etc. He'll also want all his own foot soldiers around him. Many clubs would be reluctant to effectively sack/demote valued backroom staff, even to accomodate O'Neill. That's why he didn't get the England job.

MON: I want to manage the England team, no more, no less.

Trevor Brooking: What about youth development, U-21's, the coaching pyramid, skills seminars, media and promotions work, grooming your successor?

MON: If I do all that Trev, what the hell do you do at the FA?

I think the Man Utd job is a bit of an urban myth as far as O'Neill's concerned. I'm not sure the Glazers would offer it to someone who's not managed at a top club in a top league yet, despite all his achievements.

Sunderland may be a bridge too far for MON, but Middlesbrough might be a smart choice. He doesn't strike me as the type of person that would wait for a fashionable club just for the hell of it. He'll go somewhere where he can see the potential to take a side to the next level. Middlesbrough could finish 5th or 6th next season, given the right circumstances. Forget the area and the fans - look at the youth set up, the international experience in the squad, and the chairman instead.

If they can negotiate his terms, I'd really look forward to seeing MON have a crack at the big guns in a couple of seasons with Boro. Nothing is impossible.

Well I can't see him going to Sunderland, I would feel a little odd about seeing O'Neil at the Walkers with a team like that next season. Middlesborough could be seen as a big step back. I think of Middlesborough as having the type of success in the Premier League and UEFA cup we could have had if O'Neil had stuck around.

I can't see him going Sunderland. They have got a huge potential fanbase & with that & some good signings you can go far but Middlesbrough would to me look attractive like some guys have said on here. They have alot of things going for them other clubs in the premier league don't have.

The only thing is... how many jobs exactly has MON been linked with? & has anyone actually came out to the press that he has had talks with them? He seems to be linked with everything going. I heard Venables turned it down. I see Curbishley is on their list too.

They have given him till Tuesday to make a decision. It seems a bit soon IMO, but should be interesting to see how it develops.

Apparently, they flew him up on Friday just to speak to him as soon as they heard El Tel wasnt taking the job!

Apparently, they flew him up on Friday just to speak to him as soon as they heard El Tel wasnt taking the job!

He actually travelled down on the train and was met by Steve Gibson. El Tel was out of the picture some time ago. Nationwider is closest to the truth in his post.

Trust me, Uncle Jase knows on this. :thumbup:

I think that his time with us, when various papers published stories from supposedly "reliable" sources saying he would dump us for Everton, Leeds and even Forest (lol), should make us doubt ANY rumours we read about him, until a press conference actually takes place at which he accepts a post.

Despite current circumstances, Sunderland actually have a far greater fan base, and hence more potential than Boro, so I think he'd be more likely to end up there.

But the most likely scenario is that he'll bide his time for another season to see what may come up at Old Trafford. Unless Fergie can wrest the Premiership away from Chelski's grasp, the Glazers will have given him the push this time next year.

And our's aren't?

Both City and Boro are similar types of Cities - both are dull and uninspiring compared to other Cities even in their own regions - Newcastle and Nottingham for example and in truth have acheived very little in terms of Major trophies - One League cup for Boro compared to Leicester's 3 but neither have won the FA CUP or League title but i can see why Boro is an attractive proposition as Boro have just featured in a European Final and reached the last 4 of the FA Cup.

So you dislike them because of it but support us despite it? :unsure:

Well to be fair every football club has fickle fans, but with Boro i've noticed they get on players' backs pretty much straight away, boo a lot and then there's the old season ticket throwing at manager malarky, the same one who won them their first trophy and went on to reach the UEFA Cup final.

We've just had a fat drunk bloke walk up to Ian Walker during a game.

I do moan about our fans from time to time, but i'm a Leicester fan and anyone who changes who they support is a pretty lousy football fan anyway. It might not be the purest reason for disliking a club but there's just something about them.

Well to be fair every football club has fickle fans, but with Boro i've noticed they get on players' backs pretty much straight away, boo a lot and then there's the old season ticket throwing at manager malarky, the same one who won them their first trophy and went on to reach the UEFA Cup final.

We've just had a fat drunk bloke walk up to Ian Walker during a game.

I do moan about our fans from time to time, but i'm a Leicester fan and anyone who changes who they support is a pretty lousy football fan anyway. It might not be the purest reason for disliking a club but there's just something about them.

I think that Villa fans and Boro fans are quite similar, expect the moon on the stick with limited funds...

I think MON would be tempted. With us and Celtic, he never had the opportunity to take advantage of a generous transfer budget. Boro already have a half decent squad, which despite their European distractions, should have finished higher in the league. The potential is there for him to do very well. The likes of Blackburn, Everton and Spurs have finished in the top 6 over the past few seasons, and I can't see why MON wouldn't be able to achieve that with Boro.

Both City and Boro are similar types of Cities - both are dull and uninspiring compared to other Cities even in their own regions - Newcastle and Nottingham for example

I can see why inhabitants of Middlesbrough may have an inferiority complex with regard to their near neighbours.

Those reasons do NOT apply to inhabitants of Leicester.

Anyone who thinks that should ask themselves why they post on this board.

I can see why inhabitants of Middlesbrough may have an inferiority complex with regard to their near neighbours.

Those reasons do NOT apply to inhabitants of Leicester.

Anyone who thinks that should ask themselves why they post on this board.

Just playing devlis advocat, That fact that Leicester is a s**t hole doesn't really have much bearing on wheather or not I suppourt the team. :D

I don't live in Leicester but did for three years and have also spent some time in Nottingham. I don't think that Leicester compares unfavourably to Nottingham. Nottingham is probably better for a BIG night out as the clubs are probably better and they also get the big music acts on a regular basis. In many other aspects, I preferred Leicester. Many might not agree, but I found shopping to be a more enjoyably and fulfilling exercise in Leicester than in Nottingham for a start...

As far as reputation goes though, if someone round here wants to know where Leicester is (and many don't).. I have to see not far from Nottingham before they really know. North of Northampton, close to Derby, East Midlands etc just doesn't really cut it. From that PoV then, Nottingham is probably the more desirable because it just has the image of being a bigger, more lively city.

And that's all it is - an image. Leicester's actually a BIGGER city.

It's also a place where it's possible to have a decent night out without unduly worrying every five minutes if you're about to be hit, knifed or shot!

Sky Sports News understand Martin O'Neill will not become Middlesbrough's new manager.

While the Irishman was not officially offered the post, he is not interested in continuing talks with a view to succeeding Steve McClaren at The Riverside.

O'Neill, formerly of Wycombe Wanderers, Norwich City and Leicester City, has been out of work since leaving Celtic due to family reasons.

It is understood Boro do not have a huge shortlist and could very well appoint from within - rather than move for the likes of Alan Curbishley, Tony Mowbray or Sam Allardyce.

Should Boro look within the club - then Gareth Southgate looks the most likely option, and he could very well be given an unexpected managerial baptism of fire.

Chairman Steve Gibson has already stated he wants Southgate to stay long-term and both he and Colin Cooper were earmarked as part of the managerial team which would have worked under Terry Venables - who turned down the Boro job last week.

Should Southgate stay, then the backroom staff of Steve Round and Steve Harrison would likely stay the same, which was one aim Gibson had when looking for Steve McClaren's successor - as he did not want the core of the managerial set-up disrupted.

Southgate does not currently have all the badges needed to meet Premiership and League Managers' Association criteria - but a precedent has already been set at Newcastle United, who appointed Glenn Roeder after receiving the backing of the other top-flight clubs.

Roeder does not currently have the Uefa Pro Licence badge required to manage in The Premiership, but has been given Premier League dispensation, as he is taking the course this summer.

Sky Sports News understand Martin O'Neill will not become Middlesbrough's new manager.

While the Irishman was not officially offered the post, he is not interested in continuing talks with a view to succeeding Steve McClaren at The Riverside.

No great surprise then... :whistle:

More fool Steve Gibson, eh? To me, if MON expresses an interest, you get out your best china, redecorate the front-room and sell all your ugliest relatives into slavery, before welcoming him through your front door with a brass band and an iced sponge.

Still, if Gibbo has to find a gainful employment for Southgate and Colin Cooper (Colin COOPER?), that's his lookout.

Hmm. Looks like it's Sunderland, or another O'Neill-less start to the season.

Archived