Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tevez

Formation

I think this could suit leicester next season

Henderson

Stearman

Johannson

Mccarthy

Kisnorbo

Gerrbrand or ? (holding midfield/infront on back 4)

Weso

Williams

Hughes or New Signing

Hume (Attacking Mid/Striker)

Fryatt

Can't see Fryatt as a lone striker. We don't really have anyone that could play as a lone striker, do we? (Let's ignore MDV, we've seen 4-5-1 with MDV before).

I think 3-5-2 would work better - perhaps with Hume in the same advanced position, and O'Grady and Fryatt leading the line.

Can't see Fryatt as a lone striker. We don't really have anyone that could play as a lone striker, do we? (Let's ignore MDV, we've seen 4-5-1 with MDV before).

I think 3-5-2 would work better - perhaps with Hume in the same advanced position, and O'Grady and Fryatt leading the line.

If we play that formation we need two good wingers that can defend and attack all game,we havent got any wingers!!

Playing 4-1-3-1-1 is probably too complex for our players, and we all know Kelly likes to adopt a simple approach. In addition to that, we don't have the players who can fit in to that formation.

First of all, we don't have a commanding holding player. Wesolowski is seen as a player who could fulfill that role, but I think he would be better utilised playing in a more advanced role.

Then we have issues over the wider positions in midfield. Hughes could pop up on the right, but we all know he can't influence the game as much from there.

Then you would need someone to play on the left - and we have no one who can play there comfortably (To me, Hamill doesn't exist) Some may argue Williams could play there, but then we would be forced to play two central midfielders in wider positions, which would entail them cutting in all the time, providing an ultra-narrow approach to our play. Besides, Williams has neither the pace or work rate to cover that area effectively when the opposition has possession.

The fullbacks are key as well to provide width, and although Maybury or Stearman could possibly do that on the right, we have a problem on the left with Johansson, as he is essentially a central defender. Sheehan has the potential, but will he fulfill it?

3-5-2 is a possibility, but I get the feeling 4-4-2 will be retained for next season. It's a formation the players are used to, and one that Kelly has used since he took over. His consistent starting line ups, even after safety was secured, suggests that not much will change, apart from a few tweaks in certain positions.

What's wrong with just a simple 4-4-2 all the players understand it and it seemed to work alright for us last season?

Why make the game complex when its a simple game :D

Because the best players we have don't suit 4-4-2. We don't have a natural left back or natural wide players. Kelly might get players who do suit 4-4-2 but last season he tried to make do and mend. It didn't work for us and it is a measure of low expectation that anyone thinks it did. We finished 16th.

An eternal problem with coaches is that some will insist on fitting the players to the system instead of the system to the players.

The problem is not which formation, the problem is, based on last seasons performances we haven't got 11 players good enough to make a decent team, never mind a squad and with FA to spend aren't likely to have any day soon..

3-5-2 With wing backs would suit us.

Hendo/Rab

Paddy mac

Kisnorbo

Gerrbrand/McCauley (Thats if we get him!!)

Stearman

Maybury Wb's

Hughes

Williams

Weso

Hume

Fryatt

Even if McAuley signs which is only a possibility right now...

Maybury's not an attacking left-back, we don't know if Weso will be fit and Hughes doesn't score/create enough goals or play particularly well on the right. There's serious thinking to be done.

What's wrong with just a simple 4-4-2 all the players understand it and it seemed to work alright for us last season?

Why make the game complex when its a simple game :D

There is not point in saying lets play 4-4-2 when you have no wingers. :rolleyes:

A narrow 4-4-2? :cool::unsure::smile:

Tried, tested, tried and tested again and again under Levein and Adams. We're not going to play with wing backs, because the MON days are over. I've always thought it's quite a defensive formation anyway, you've got 5 defenders and then the defensive midfielder. We've got to start scoring goals next season, now we've got 2 strikers who are capable of that, but we must have more options out wide because half the time they are coming out wide to receive the ball due to no service.

Rob Kelly must sign 2 wingers this Summer, whether we're planning on playing both or just the 1, as Tiatto, Sylla, Hamill, and Hughes are not good enough to play out wide. Gradel and O'Grady will do as backup options.

Tried, tested, tried and tested again and again under Levein and Adams. We're not going to play with wing backs, because the MON days are over. I've always thought it's quite a defensive formation anyway, you've got 5 defenders and then the defensive midfielder. We've got to start scoring goals next season, now we've got 2 strikers who are capable of that, but we must have more options out wide because half the time they are coming out wide to receive the ball due to no service.

Rob Kelly must sign 2 wingers this Summer, whether we're planning on playing both or just the 1, as Tiatto, Sylla, Hamill, and Hughes are not good enough to play out wide. Gradel and O'Grady will do as backup options.

What decent wingers could we get with our budget? Would tabb be in our price range?

There must be some good cheap wingers in the lower leagues, or maybe we could loan from premiership clubs for a season?

What decent wingers could we get with our budget? Would tabb be in our price range?

There must be some good cheap wingers in the lower leagues, or maybe we could loan from premiership clubs for a season?

Cheap way is to develop your own like Watford have done with Young. O'Grady and Gradel should have got an opportunity at the end of last season, seeing as it's a problem area. Likewise with Sheehan at left back. But they didn't get that chance so we're left with 3 positions to fill.

I know David Thompson is available on a free. Andy Robinson has just lost out in the playoff final with Swansea. There's two options straight away. We should attempt to get someone in on loan, Paul Anderson (Leicester born) of Liverpool?

I've never rated Tabb but of the options available to us at the moment, he'd be an improvement.

Cheap way is to develop your own like Watford have done with Young. O'Grady and Gradel should have got an opportunity at the end of last season, seeing as it's a problem area. Likewise with Sheehan at left back. But they didn't get that chance so we're left with 3 positions to fill.

I know David Thompson is available on a free. Andy Robinson has just lost out in the playoff final with Swansea. There's two options straight away. We should attempt to get someone in on loan, Paul Anderson (Leicester born) of Liverpool?

I've never rated Tabb but of the options available to us at the moment, he'd be an improvement.

I would love to get that Andy Robinson, he looks good and did they say he scored 17 goals in the season? :o If he could just get 9 or 10 for us that would be great.

Is O'Grady any cop on the wing? Did he play on the wings for Rushden earlier last season or something?

He played mostly upfront but I think Ric Flair mentioned him playing on the wing there as well. For us he's looked good (in parts) when he has come on. Most notably the final game against Plymouth but he's only had 10 minute cameos here and there. I've seen enough to see he's a better option than anyone else we have right now though.

As it stands DavieG hits the nail. We simply don't have a balanced group of 11 good, tried and tested players to fit any system ideally. But there might be a case for saying 4-3-3 might be our strongest option right now.

Just for debate how about this with players we actually have right now:

Goalkeeper;

Maybury, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan (I'm showing faith);

Stearman, Williams, Wesolowski,

O'Grady, Hume, Fryatt.

Subs from: Nils, Gerrbrand, Hughes, Porter, Hammond, Chambers/Dodds.

As it stands DavieG hits the nail. We simply don't have a balanced group of 11 good, tried and tested players to fit any system ideally. But there might be a case for saying 4-3-3 might be our strongest option right now.

Just for debate how about this with players we actually have right now:

Goalkeeper;

Maybury, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan (I'm showing faith);

Stearman, Williams, Wesolowski,

O'Grady, Hume, Fryatt.

Subs from: Nils, Gerrbrand, Hughes, Porter, Hammond, Chambers/Dodds.

Theres no point wasting stearman in centre mid, I would put him at right back and swap maybury for hughes.

I Would Go for a 4-1-3-2 Formation.

Henderson/New Keeper

Stearman,Kisnorbo,McCarthy ©, Maybury he can play left back

Weso holding,

Williams,Hughes,New Midfielder who can score goals,

Fryatt and Humey.

I Would Go for a 4-1-3-2 Formation.

Henderson/New Keeper

Stearman,Kisnorbo,McCarthy ©, Maybury he can play left back

Weso holding,

Williams,Hughes,New Midfielder who can score goals,

Fryatt and Humey.

I've seen no sign whatsoever that Maybury can play as an attacking left-back. He's okay in an emergency, that's all.

On FIFA 2006 I've been playing 4-2-3-1 which works a treat. Seeing as we don't have big strikers and we don't even have 2 proper wingers it almost makes sense to play narrower football. in this case we could play Fryatt up front then Weso, Hume and Hughes close behind. It makes very attacking football as you always have 2 midfielders that dont stray forward too much.

Will it happen? Nope but its an idea at any rate.

Archived