Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Elvis Hammond

whats your opinions on Elvis? he seems to have hit some form in pre-season, and when i first saw him he looks promising, he may run aimlessly at times but he does cause a bit of trouble. i hope he does well coming off the bench this season, same goes for COG but i cant see the top 2 strikers having any trouble not getting on the team-sheet.

ive always liked elvis, sometimes his finishing leaves a lot to be desired but always gives 100%

personally i think this year we have the healthiest competition for places for a few years now, both elvis and o'grady want to get in the starting 11, which in theory should keep hume and fryatt hungry to do well.

ive always liked elvis, sometimes his finishing leaves a lot to be desired but always gives 100%

personally i think this year we have the healthiest competition for places for a few years now, both elvis and o'grady want to get in the starting 11, which in theory should keep hume and fryatt hungry to do well.

I completely agree. Remember last season we were starting the season with only Connolly and De Vries as established strikers upfront. After Connolly left we were left very weak. Perhaps in signing Hume, Hammond and Fryatt Levein did something right and thanks to the work on the training ground O'Grady looks a player that would have cost us a substantial fee had he not progressed through the youth team.

Elvis has just found his level of football at the teams who we have been playing. League 2 striker.

i also thought that when typing out my 1st post but did not want to mention. lets hope this isnt the case as we payed £300k for him!!!

I agree with people that say he tries his best but, for me, that's the minimum requirement of a professional in any business or sport, football being no different. I don't think trying his best should be seen as a skill he brings to the squad because I'm sure most of our players have tried their best, since Riob Kelly took over at least. His pace is a danger to other teams but unless he can improve his finishing and distribution then the pace will count for very little to the team as a whole.

Two goals against League Two teams doesn't make me think he's going to be amazingly improved this season. Maybe a bit better but he was avaerage last season for a striker so being a bit better may not be good enough.

Just because I've said this, doesn't mean I won't support him when he pulls on a Leicester shirt at some point next season, it just means I don't think he's quite good enough to be in our first team.

I agree with people that say he tries his best but, for me, that's the minimum requirement of a professional in any business or sport, football being no different. I don't think trying his best should be seen as a skill he brings to the squad because I'm sure most of our players have tried their best, since Riob Kelly took over at least. His pace is a danger to other teams but unless he can improve his finishing and distribution then the pace will count for very little to the team as a whole.

Two goals against League Two teams doesn't make me think he's going to be amazingly improved this season. Maybe a bit better but he was avaerage last season for a striker so being a bit better may not be good enough.

Just because I've said this, doesn't mean I won't support him when he pulls on a Leicester shirt at some point next season, it just means I don't think he's quite good enough to be in our first team.

I don't think who he scores against matters. He didn't have a scoring record worth mentioning at Fulham - either at first team or reserve level.

That he has started scoring now may suggest that Kelly has had some effect on the coaching field and that Hammond has followed O'Grady and put significan effort into improving his game.

If so I'll be delighted because, unlike Sylla, he has often threatened to be dangerous and if he can finish clinically then he will be more than good enough for our first team.

I like both Hume and Fryatt but I don't subscribe to the view that either are any better than good. O'Grady and Hammond would be the same - and Ashley Chambers perhaps better than all four when he finally emerges.

What it means for Leicester City is that there is healthy competition for places and the problem for Kelly will be deciding who gets the nod and on what basis, and then keeping the other equally deserving players happy.

It appears he will have the same problem with people like Porter and Sheehan but so far, Kelly seems genuinely determined to keep all his squad members actively involved which ought to auger well.

I don't think who he scores against matters. He didn't have a scoring record worth mentioning at Fulham - either at first team or reserve level.

That he has started scoring now may suggest that Kelly has had some effect on the coaching field and that Hammond has followed O'Grady and put significan effort into improving his game.

If so I'll be delighted because, unlike Sylla, he has often threatened to be dangerous and if he can finish clinically then he will be more than good enough for our first team.

I like both Hume and Fryatt but I don't subscribe to the view that either are any better than good. O'Grady and Hammond would be the same - and Ashley Chambers perhaps better than all four when he finally emerges.

What it means for Leicester City is that there is healthy competition for places and the problem for Kelly will be deciding who gets the nod and on what basis, and then keeping the other equally deserving players happy.

It appears he will have the same problem with people like Porter and Sheehan but so far, Kelly seems genuinely determined to keep all his squad members actively involved which ought to auger well.

He didn't have a scoring record at Fulham. is how that should've read! it was something that concerned me when i heard CL was going to make his loan move perminant. he's just a fast version of clarence benjamin.

if he could be taught to cross a ball he could be useful down the right.

Guest Gist

He is useful now he might not be able to score goals as often as the other strikers but when his chance comes he still has the ability to create them.

It's a big if. Some of the chances I saw him miss, even at reserve team level, should be simple to a professional striker. It was only a few months ago in April that I saw him miss chances galore against Southampton reserves including an open goal. It's hard for me to forget things like that especially after watching him look out of sorts in front of goal on a fair few occasions for the first team too. Until I see for myself that he looks more composed in front of goal then my view won't change. I take pre-season games with a pinch of salt especially when I haven't seen them for myself. I can only judge Hammond on what I've seen and the last impression he gave me was in that reserve game.

I have to agree, can you coach someone that? I don't think so myself. That's why I'm not too hopeful at this moment in time but I'm willing to eat my words this time next year.

Sure you can. If you train his finishing intensively he will inevitably become more confident in his scoring ability and as a result a bit more composed in scoring situations.

He's good back-up, that's all.

Useful to have on the bench, but unless he produces against top-quality opposition like Real Sociedad he's not likely to break through to the first 11.

Agreed, practice makes perfect, how do you think David Beckham learned to curl the ball like he does?

Practice will improve his composure in front of goal a little but do you really think he hasn't been working on his finishing since he joined us? Why's his compusure not improved so far? It's a mental aspect. Practice will help and hopefully the goals he has scored will build his confidence a bit more too. When de Vries first joined us and didn't score for a while wasn't because he wasn't practicing at the training ground. In fact he used to put more away than Connolly during training but matches are a different kettle of fish. So for all the practice during training nothing can prepare him properly for when a defender is breathing down his neck and is determined to prevent him from scoring. The closest thing to that are friendlies and reserve games although they will be slightly different from now on. That's why his two goals are encouraging but aren't getting me overly excited yet.

Beckham used to practice a lot, yes, but don't think he got where he is just by practicing. He's got natural ability too. Not saying Hammond's got no ability just not as much.

Most strikers lose their composure in front of goal in the careers when they haven't scored for a while - that's why the have long barren spells. This is often resolved after a couple of fortunate, off the arse goals.

What we need to hope for is that Elvis's career up to now has been one extraordinarily long barren spell sustained by not scoring a couple of fortunate goals. He's now scored two off the back of CoGs efforts, hopefully this will allow the composure within him to rise and enable him to go on a goal scoring spree not seen at Leicester since the days of Lineker. :D

davieG, davieG wake up it’s time for your medication. :blink:

Most strikers lose their composure in front of goal in the careers when they haven't scored for a while - that's why the have long barren spells. This is often resolved after a couple of fortunate, off the arse goals.

What we need to hope for is that Elvis's career up to now has been one extraordinarily long barren spell sustained by not scoring a couple of fortunate goals. He's now scored two off the back of CoGs efforts, hopefully this will allow the composure within him to rise and enable him to go on a goal scoring spree not seen at Leicester since the days of Lineker. :D

davieG, davieG wake up it’s time for your medication. :blink:

This is what we all thought would happen too when Akinbiyi finally broke his scoring duck....alas...

Archived