Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert_Ross

Stearman in midfield

He played alot in central midfield for the academy, tonight he showed that by looking comfortable there throughout. He'll probably be asked to play there again Saturday with the state of the squad, not that it's a bad thing :thumbup:

Class act.

well played son, ive slagged you off, but tonight I thought you were possibly Man of the match.

I prefered him there to RB or RW. :thumbup:

He did play very well in their with Weso. I'm sure their friendship played a part in his selection in midfield aswell :thumbup:

He did play very well in their with Weso. I'm sure their friendship played a part in his selection in midfield aswell :thumbup:

And when Porter joins em it'll be even better. He was different class to Hughes. There was never any doubting his desire to win tackles or to get into the box for his goal - again. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Gradel-------Weso-------Stearman-------Porter.

Now there's one for the future.

:wub:

When I saw the teamsheets, I had a bloody difficult time trying to locate half our players. Was Maybury RB and Stearman RW, or vice-versa... No, Stearman was CM! :o

You'd think a RB in CM sounds like a square-peg, round-hole kinda fit, but it seems he did well.

Imagine that - a funky positional change actually came off. :o

Good on the lad, had a stormer it seems. Long may he play ahead of Hughes. :whistle::D

stearman and weso in cm the shape of things to come!!hopefully!!

were brilliant tonight hope RK sticks with them in there, if so bye bye Hughes Tiatto and johnson

hope kinda kelly uses his brainy cortex and plays them not reverts to that crap

I'd read a Steve Claridge article before the game talking about how Martin O'Neill always played his players in their best positions and made them work to their strengths. I was therefore worried when I heard Stearman (probably a right-back, possibly a centre-back) was playing in centre mid.

On that performance though, he deserves another go. Fantastic. Along with Weso, he never gave up - chased and tackled the whole game. Great to see (and should certainly have added a zero to whatever figure MON was thinking of offering for him!).

Sounds very good. Only note of caution, we've been bemoaning the lack of creativity from midfield all season - Stearman and Weso together I can imagine getting stuck in, winning lots of ball and shaking up the opposing tea but not necessarily creating much.

Would be good to see Williams in there too when fit (perhaps in a three man midfield with Porter and maybe Tiatto as wing backs).

----------Hume-------Fryatt------------

----Weso---Williams---Stearman

Tiatto--------------------------Porter

----McCauley--Kisnorbo---McCarthy

-------------Logan/Hendo---------

Bench:

Elvis

Gradel

Kenton

COG

Welsh

Sounds very good. Only note of caution, we've been bemoaning the lack of creativity from midfield all season - Stearman and Weso together I can imagine getting stuck in, winning lots of ball and shaking up the opposing tea but not necessarily creating much.

Would be good to see Williams in there too when fit (perhaps in a three man midfield with Porter and maybe Tiatto as wing backs).

Bench:

Elvis

Gradel

Kenton

COG

Welsh

Stearman may be shaped like a stick insect but he challenges for the ball like he means it, he can pass, he's got some clever skills, he's got energy and he's brave enough to get into the box. Compared to Hughes that's a lot of pluses. So long as we play people like Welsh, Porter, Gradel who can retain the ball and create a bit then we'll probably have enough forward momentum. We still won't attack enough from full-back though but we'll be getting somewhere.

Bench:

Elvis

Gradel

Kenton

COG

Welsh

Good point about creativity, I think the long term midfield pairing should be Williams and Wesolowski. So much talent there, Stearman is needed at right back in my opinion when everyone is back fit, to help support Momo, Gradel or whoever plays out there.

Stearman may be shaped like a stick insect but he challenges for the ball like he means it, he can pass, he's got some clever skills, he's got energy and he's brave enough to get into the box. Compared to Hughes that's a lot of pluses. So long as we play people like Welsh, Porter, Gradel who can retain the ball and create a bit then we'll probably have enough forward momentum. We still won't attack enough from full-back though but we'll be getting somewhere.

Stearman and Weso did do well but the general feeling round where I was, was that quite often in the 2nd half and also extra time they just disappeared. Stearman sat infront of the back 4 and I don't know where Weso went.

How many times did a ball dropping out of the Villa box fall to a LCFC man - never - surely you'd expect your centre mids to be there or thereabouts. Also the Villa midfield had no problem at all in waltzing through what little opposition there was a lot of the time (not that they ever did alot)

Sorry if this goes against the general view of everyone here but I couldn't just read all this praise without offering my view on the proceedings.

A cracking night though all the same ! (except driving back to London and getting in about 2am then getting up for work at 6 !) :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Stearman and Weso did do well but the general feeling round where I was, was that quite often in the 2nd half and also extra time they just disappeared. Stearman sat infront of the back 4 and I don't know where Weso went.

How many times did a ball dropping out of the Villa box fall to a LCFC man - never - surely you'd expect your centre mids to be there or thereabouts. Also the Villa midfield had no problem at all in waltzing through what little opposition there was a lot of the time (not that they ever did alot)

Sorry if this goes against the general view of everyone here but I couldn't just read all this praise without offering my view on the proceedings.

A cracking night though all the same ! (except driving back to London and getting in about 2am then getting up for work at 6 !) :yawn::yawn::yawn:

:blink:

Well they say football is all about opinions...

I personally did not think it worked but with all the injuries was the only option. I thought he didnt get on the ball enough meaning his contribution was restricted. I prefer at right back or centre back but that is unlikey to ever happen with the 2 paddy's and McAuley.

Brilliant effort to tackle back despite his inevitable shortcomings!

Archived