Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Academy March On

Academy March On

Leicester City's under 18 side demolished MK Dons 4-0 at the Belvoir Drive training ground on Saturday.

The victory makes it an incredible nine wins from 11 matches for the Foxes this term - and cements their five point advantage at the top of the Group B table.

Ashley Chambes, fresh from a stint with the England under 17 side, gave City the lead on 15 minutes.

Despite having a number of other opportunities, Leicester had to wait until the second half to increase their advantage. Billy McKay doubled the lead following good work from Max Gradel, with Joe Mattock, also back from England duty, and Scott Lycett grabbing the other goals.

Speaking after the game to lcfc.com, Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "Overall it was a pleasing performance.

"We did well in the first half, but we really took control of the game after the break.

"It was good to see young Ashley and Joe return to the side following a successful trip with the England side. We moved Joe into midfield in the absence of Andy King, who is away with Wales, and he adjusted well."

City: Pentney, Tuttle (Rochester), Rowe-Turner, Lycett, Magunda, Gradel, Tejan-Sie, Mattock, Beswick (Kee), McKay, Chambers (Craig King).

Sounds like another great performance :appl:

Beaglehole for manager! :D

Honestly, whatever the personnel, this is the sort of football we need to encourage in the first team. I didn't even go today. Somehow I feel there's not much incentive for the kids while we're back to Chosen Men football and it makes me thoroughly depressed.

So we have one team who play fantastic attacking football and are seemingly free-scoring and another who deploy 6/7 defenders.

Doesn't need a genius does it??

Can we play the Academy team instead of our first team once?

Would be fun! :P

So we have one team who play fantastic attacking football and are seemingly free-scoring and another who deploy 6/7 defenders.

And one under pressure the other under almost none. One with good players for that level, the other with not many!!

And one under pressure the other under almost none. One with good players for that level, the other with not many!!

I don't think pressure has anything to do with it in the Academy. Even against the champions, Villa, City went for it and won 4-1, with an uncompromisingly positive display of close-supporting fooball.

Quite simply we start by going for the throat and Kelly never has the bottle or belief to do that. His organisation seems okay mostly but his tactics are lamentable at times.

Kelly's got more good players than he knows but just doesn't play them.

I understand what you're saying, don't mistake me, but success is partly about attitude and approach. It's also about imagination and keeping rival coaches on the wrong foot.

We are more predictable than the squence of the months.

2 players don't make half a team.

I wasn't meaning it literally but seeing Eric chips in with hat-tricks and Kingy with at least one that's a sizeable contribution on the sidelines. I didn't check through to see who else was missing, if anyone.

You're right to a degree - but Kelly signed a good few of em and has long been aware of how good the rest were. Beaglehole doesn't seem to carry any passengers in his team which, I suspect, is the main explanation for the difference in results.

I see the OS is up to their usual in depth reporting

From Poppy - Foxfanzine

Whilst alot of you were travelling to Sheffield to watch the seniors I decided to go and watch the academy down Belvoir drive.

So glad I did. Great game fast and furious, especially furious!!! Punch up on the pitch, four great goals and a lady referree.

I thought that the latter was a plus before the game started and told my other half that at last after the rubbish refs we have had down the Walkers of late, a woman would show the fellas how to do it!!

Wrong for sure. She sent one of our players off and only yellow carded the opposition when he was just as much to blame and made some very strange decisions.

Even I felt she should have stopped at home to do the cooking or something.

Seriously great football and when down to ten men our lads played their hearts out.

Lovely sunny day, free entrance and a great match.

What more can you ask for?

So who was sent off?

There's a reason why MK Dons have only got three points in the Academy League this season. Nice to see the lad I know from school coming off the bench. He was telling me the other day about the scholarship he's already been given for next season and it will have been a good experience for him ahead of next season. Craig King is another schoolboy who has got a scholarship for next season already. Seem to be getting a fair few sending offs this season. Mattock, Garner and somebody else yesterday. Other than that, good to see.

Great result. Positive performance. Another win for the academy. The first team on the other hand - poor result. Bad performance. Another game without a win. Seems to me like RK may want to consider consulting SB on his match tactics some time in the near future so our first team can get it right as well :)

Great result. Positive performance. Another win for the academy. The first team on the other hand - poor result. Bad performance. Another game without a win. Seems to me like RK may want to consider consulting SB on his match tactics some time in the near future so our first team can get it right as well :)

I'm sorry but managing a first team and being a coach for an under 18 side are two different jobs entirely.

"Another game without a win"?! The defeat at Sheffield Wednesday was our first in the league for 8 games and in normal time in all competitions for 10 (TEN) games. They weren't all wins but in October we won three out of five and drew the other two.

The Academy performances aren't all rosy either. Conceding two late goals against Watford in a game we'd criused throughout, conceding a fair amount of goals in general and picking up a few red cards.

Another thing you have to consider with Academy sides is that they come around in cycles. We showed during the second half of last season that our team were maturing and they've managed to stay together with a few exceptions. Villa for example have brought a lot of schoolboys through to their 18s this season. One of the Villa players' parents I heard said that about 7 of the team that played against us at Belvoir Drive this season were schoolboys last season. That's a large number when you look at are normal starting line-up containing two maybe three first year scholars. All the rest have been playing under 18 football for at least a season. Even Chambers has played a fair bit of under 18 football despite being a first year scholar and Mattock played a bit for them last season too. This experience will have helped our under 18s perform so well this season. At some point in the future, our under 18s may contain players with very little experience at that level and the team may struggle as a result. There's not much Beaglehole can do about that. It's just the players he has to work with.

Right then, that told me!!

Nah I know managing an academy side is nowhere near the same as managing the first team, but it wouldn't hurt RK to hear what Beaglehole says to his players and some of the tactics he employs, 'cos whatever it is, it works, and he probably does know what he's on about.

I know that this was our first defeat over 90 minutes in our last 11 games, I'm well aware of that. And I'm understandably happy that we were unbeaten for so long, but the amount of needless draws we get concerned me a little bit and, as has been said with Villa in the Prem, it is all well and good drawing games and remaining unbeaten, but draws need to be turned into wins, otherwise you will not amass the points and being unbeaten will not count for much when you don't finish as high as you could do. The October run was good, and 3 wins plus 2 draws is brilliant. But in our last 9 league games, we gained 14 points out of 27 when if we turned the screw a little more we could have been up around 21-23 points out of the 27.

Conceding two late goals in a game against Watford which we should have one sounds like something our first team is quite capable of doing. The academy side (yes I know the gulf in class is a lot different between first team and academy level but this is still relevant) have 8 wins, a draw and a defeat from 10 games, which amounts to 25 out of a possible 30 points. They sit top of their league averaging 4 goals per game and 1.8 goals against per game. They regularly demolish sides and their football, from what i understand, is amazing to watch at times. For this reason, I think Kelly talking to Beaglehole, even if he doesn't implement all of his tactics, would be a benefit to our team and our mentality. Surely you can appreciate that those statistics look rosy and that you'd like to see our team scoring more goals, and winning more games than they draw??

The only concern I have with our current performances (ignoring the fact that we draw more than we win 'cos we're still unbeaten right?) is that when we play away against teams we're capable of beating, we are way too defensively minded and we put out teams which suggest that we want the opposition to attack us and we're too intimidated to take the game to them. This needs addressing imo

Right then, that told me!!

Nah I know managing an academy side is nowhere near the same as managing the first team, but it wouldn't hurt RK to hear what Beaglehole says to his players and some of the tactics he employs, 'cos whatever it is, it works, and he probably does know what he's on about.

I know that this was our first defeat over 90 minutes in our last 11 games, I'm well aware of that. And I'm understandably happy that we were unbeaten for so long, but the amount of needless draws we get concerned me a little bit and, as has been said with Villa in the Prem, it is all well and good drawing games and remaining unbeaten, but draws need to be turned into wins, otherwise you will not amass the points and being unbeaten will not count for much when you don't finish as high as you could do. The October run was good, and 3 wins plus 2 draws is brilliant. But in our last 9 league games, we gained 14 points out of 27 when if we turned the screw a little more we could have been up around 21-23 points out of the 27.

Conceding two late goals in a game against Watford which we should have one sounds like something our first team is quite capable of doing. The academy side (yes I know the gulf in class is a lot different between first team and academy level but this is still relevant) have 8 wins, a draw and a defeat from 10 games, which amounts to 25 out of a possible 30 points. They sit top of their league averaging 4 goals per game and 1.8 goals against per game. They regularly demolish sides and their football, from what i understand, is amazing to watch at times. For this reason, I think Kelly talking to Beaglehole, even if he doesn't implement all of his tactics, would be a benefit to our team and our mentality. Surely you can appreciate that those statistics look rosy and that you'd like to see our team scoring more goals, and winning more games than they draw??

The only concern I have with our current performances (ignoring the fact that we draw more than we win 'cos we're still unbeaten right?) is that when we play away against teams we're capable of beating, we are way too defensively minded and we put out teams which suggest that we want the opposition to attack us and we're too intimidated to take the game to them. This needs addressing imo

That Watford game was never quite the doddle portrayed. Watford's forwards were always a threat and even more so when they brought on an England lad as substitute in the second half.

True Leicester had chances to clinch the game with their unyielding commitment to attack but Watford remained dangerous with fast breaks and scored a couple of excellent goals.

Watford were, I think, victors over Leicester at Belvoir Drive the previous season so their ability was well known and City not only improved their result this time but really did carve out an amazing number of chances which has been a feature of their play this season.

On paper it's quite true, the future is bright which is part of the reason for investor interest. But only if we make the best of it and only if we incorporate the Academy style throughout the club - irrespective of who owns the place.

Academy results so far:

AUGUST

19 Blackburn 12.00 noon 2-3

26 Stoke 12.00 noon 3-0

SEPTEMBER

2 Ipswich Town 12.00 noon 4-2

9 Fulham 12.00 noon 6-3

16 Crystal Palace 12.00 noon 3-1

23 Cardiff City 12.00 noon 8-0

30 Birmingham City 11.00am 2-1

OCTOBER

7 Aston Villa 11.00am 4-1