Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonbluefox9

Ashley Chambers

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I couldn't see it anywhere, but according to my mate from the Academy, Chambers was injured at Spurs the other weekend and will be out for around 8 months. Apparently he was involved in a bad challenge that has messed up his cruciate ligaments in both knees.

It's a shame for Chambers but it also gives someone else an opportunity whether it be a first year scholar who wasn't getting a look-in before or one of the under 16s that have already been given scholarships for next season. Chambers wasn't starting as many games as some people expected him to anyway so it will only open the door for someone on the bench unless Odhiambo gets injured again then one of the under 16 strikers may get a start.

This is really bad news, so frustrating at such a key stage of his development. We've been really unlucky with this sort of thing happening to both Weso and now Chambers. More importantly, Chambers has got to take inspiration from Weso's performance in the Villa game. If I was Rob Kelly, I'd be making him watch that game. Luckily we have a good club, one that will support him through his injury and hopefully we will see him back next season.

It's a shame for Chambers but it also gives someone else an opportunity whether it be a first year scholar who wasn't getting a look-in before or one of the under 16s that have already been given scholarships for next season. Chambers wasn't starting as many games as some people expected him to anyway so it will only open the door for someone on the bench unless Odhiambo gets injured again then one of the under 16 strikers may get a start.

Chambers has played so little for the Academy this season - 5 matches out of about 11 I think and most of them only part-time appearances.

And then he suddenly travels to play a game for England and another soon after at Tottenham.

Sounds a big contrast to me for a guy who's already had knee problems ... but who can tell if it wouldn't have happened anyway.

I just remember the International break when Williams suddenly returned after a long lay-off and was suddenly into a heavy schedule. It didn't surprise me one bit when he ended up injured again. In fact we ended up with a whole heap of casualties after that period.

I've never been a fan of disjointed football schedules. But it ain't gonna change.

As you say, one door closes for however long but for someone else a door opens.

Chambers has played so little for the Academy this season - 5 matches out of about 11 I think and most of them only part-time appearances.

And then he suddenly travels to play a game for England and another soon after at Tottenham.

Sounds a big contrast to me for a guy who's already had knee problems ... but who can tell if it wouldn't have happened anyway.

I just remember the International break when Williams suddenly returned after a long lay-off and was suddenly into a heavy schedule. It didn't surprise me one bit when he ended up injured again. In fact we ended up with a whole heap of casualties after that period.

I've never been a fan of disjointed football schedules. But it ain't gonna change.

As you say, one door closes for however long but for someone else a door opens.

Apparently it was a bad challenge on him, that's the impression I was given. I think this could've happened to anyone. Just unlucky for Chambers that it was him involved if it's true. No Gradel tomorrow either so you could see one of the under 16s get a start although it's more likely that some of the first year scholars will get a chance to start. I think my mate will get a place on the bench with Chambers out and as long as he gets some match time, it will be a good experience for him.

Thracian is Chambers as good as everyone says he is or will be????

He was. At least I think so. At his best he was very quick and a genuinely natural finisher. In a way he was a bit like Dodds - not in build but in the fact that he could appear fairly inconsequential then suddenly come up with a lethal finish out of nowhere. He moved well and could get behind defences or wrongfoot a defender and bend a shot in from all sorts of distances.

What will happen now remains to be seen. He's young to have such a serious injury. It concerns me that he's had trouble before but medical skill is so good nowadays it may all end up down to his attitude to adversary and the encouragement he gets from all around him which I am sure will be outstanding.

Someone mentioned watching Weso in the villa match and I am sure that sort of positive thinking won't go amiss.

Let's just hope the knees mend fully and he retains that burst of acceleration which seems so vital to him.

Hope the lad recoverers quickly it must be very frustrating being on the verge of breaking through to bigger things when something like this happens.....Its been said before but the City youngsters do seem to have bad luck on the injury front...

it's not that bad for the lad. At least he'll be back playing football again. Others aren't so lucky.

i was sitting near to chambers' girlfriend at the plymouth game actually. she did sound worried when chatting with lycett.

This is really bad news, so frustrating at such a key stage of his development. We've been really unlucky with this sort of thing happening to both Weso and now Chambers. More importantly, Chambers has got to take inspiration from Weso's performance in the Villa game. If I was Rob Kelly, I'd be making him watch that game. Luckily we have a good club, one that will support him through his injury and hopefully we will see him back next season.

Bad news for who exactly?

He's not really been knocking on the door since his debut over a year ago has he?

Barring injuries I doubt he'll ever make more then a dozen appearances for the 1st team before we ship him out on loan to "Blackpool" before they sign him on a free.

I'm certainly hoping the team progress more rapidly then he does in which case he may not even be good enough to play for us.

Saying that I hope he has a speedy recovery and goes on to prove me wrong :thumbup:

it's not that bad for the lad. At least he'll be back playing football again. Others aren't so lucky.

I know what you mean but if playing football is what you want to do with your life, and you've reached young England level in pursuit of that goal, an injury of such magnitude is not easy to cope with for anyone.

It can be a lonely road being injured at a football club.

Perhaps the best thing is that he's in an environment where they are well used to dealing with the physical and mental demands of such injuries. And, from what I've seen and heard, Leicester keep their injured well cared for and well involved.

He's not really been knocking on the door since his debut over a year ago has he?

Barring injuries I doubt he'll ever make more then a dozen appearances for the 1st team before we ship him out on loan to "Blackpool" before they sign him on a free.

I'm certainly hoping the team progress more rapidly then he does in which case he may not even be good enough to play for us.

Saying that I hope he has a speedy recovery and goes on to prove me wrong :thumbup:

That's too cynical and short-termist even for me. Chambers is a first-choice England youth international. Some people go too far in brushing off what that means. It may not mean he is automatically destined to enjoy a sparkling career but it puts him in a hell of a better position than pretty much every other kid his age. What are you basing this "Blackpool" thing on exactly? I'd say you're just blindly comparing him to someone like Jon Stevenson. And it wasn't his fault Levein fancied sticking him on in a League Cup tie for ninety seconds. And that means he's made no progress since his "debut"!!

Pardon me for thinking an England youth international on our books getting an extremely serious injury at such a crucial stage of his development is bad news.

If this is true, and I'm sure it is even if 8 months out could be just a rough estimate, then I wonder when the club were planning on announcing it because serious questions would've been asked on this forum by people if his name wasn't in the squad for a long stretch of games. Similar to last season when people were asking, "why no Chambers in the Reserves?" and from what I was told, it was just because his school wanted him to concentrate on his exams. I think Chambers will be alright but it could affect his game when he does come back . If he misses out on the rest of this season and can't take part fully during pre-season then who knows what kind of shape he'll be in for next season? If anything, if we treat him well during this period of time it may be a way of getting him to sign pro forms with us instead of another club once he recovers. If the club shows faith in him during the rough times it might persuade him that we're the right club to be at.

There are various reasons he's "not been knocking on the door". First of all the age restrictions on youngsters playing in League football moved higher so I believe and Chambers has still not reached his 17th birthday so he couldn't play for the first team as far as I am aware.

Secondly he reached the age when he needed to give some time to his school work. There may have been other factors too. Very few of our youngsters over the years have played as a first choice young International striker for England...and a regular scorer at that. Make no mistake, it is a major blow to the lad and the club.

If this is true, and I'm sure it is even if 8 months out could be just a rough estimate, then I wonder when the club were planning on announcing it because serious questions would've been asked on this forum by people if his name wasn't in the squad for a long stretch of games. Similar to last season when people were asking, "why no Chambers in the Reserves?" and from what I was told, it was just because his school wanted him to concentrate on his exams. I think Chambers will be alright but it could affect his game when he does come back . If he misses out on the rest of this season and can't take part fully during pre-season then who knows what kind of shape he'll be in for next season? If anything, if we treat him well during this period of time it may be a way of getting him to sign pro forms with us instead of another club once he recovers. If the club shows faith in him during the rough times it might persuade him that we're the right club to be at.

Well let's hope that he and the club use the time usefully like making a big impression on his educational development, freeing him up to concentrate on his football when he recovers or giving him something to fall back on if it all goes tits up.

It's an ill wind...as they say! By the way, I hope your mate does well tomorrow if he gets the chance. I may well go down to watch as I'm a bit off waching the first team til they stop playing Ericssons and McLarens and start to do some proper attacking with a properly balanced team that's not overweight with defenders.

Has there been anything official from the club yet??

Don't be silly. It's only Friday and we're only the regular fans. Nor is there a word in the Merc despite the considerable interest. England youth international centre-forward injured for the rest of the season and it doesn't rate a line from anyone!. Assuming, of course, that it's true!. But you could imagine it being true cos not a word was said about Gradel either.

Archived