Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ajax Treesdown

New Manager?

I honestly don't know. You can look at managers lower down the leagues, but will they make the step up, and is it a gamble worth taking? Looking at the managers in our divisions, I can't say I'd take any of them, apart from perhaps Davies purely on a footballing basis (and that's based on the difference between Preston last season and this - they are certainly more industrious now, yet they seem to be better for it in terms of league position. I was going to ask what you thought about that little conundrum...). I can't see any current top flight managers wanting to leave their current clubs for the challenge of making us a Premiership force. The ones out of a job are justifiyably so if you look at things.

To be honest, I don't think Kelly is that bad. He clearly lacks experience, and rather than people calling for his head, perhaps he would work better with a knowledgeable director of football or an experienced head coach. I honestly don't know.

Davies was one of the few names mentioned last January that I'd have been pleased with. But he won't be coming here now - I actually fancy him for promotion - so there's not a lot of obvious choices that would get me excited.

I can't really comment on Preston other than on what I saw on Saturday. They seem to have had successive good managers. How much last year's work may have laid the foundations for this year's challenge I cannot say with any conviction.

But they looked an organised and confident side with pace, passing and moving on Saturday. In the end though, they seemed to be content with holding what they had and, with Leicester enjoying more possession, that tactic might have cost them as it has cost us on occasions.

My feelings were though, that if Preston had the courage to keep pressing Leicester they might have been two or three up by half-time because they seemed well able to take us apart for pace and their players were much more available and comfortable on the ball that ours during that spell.

Industrious was a good word - but they had pace and a bit of height too - things that are so important for breaking defences down. Their combative players in midfield could also pass, something I've prayed for in our team.

I may be wrong but I sometimes think you believe I'd abandon industry or combativeness in favour of entertaining attackers. If that's the case, I would like to clear it up and tell you I wouldn't. I always wanted a couple of real killers in my team - people who would tackle anyone and anything like a pile of bricks.

Players have to be more circumspect today but the principle still applies - you have to get the ball to play.

But, hard-cases or not, I'd then expect them to pass and move competently. And I'd expect attacks to be supported with numbers and with competent players who were comfortable passing and comfortable shooting.

This isn't so at Leicester but I did think Preston were generally comfortable with the ball and with their support. They looked much further down the line towards a decent, balanced team than we did.

I can't really comment on Preston other than on what I saw on Saturday. They seem to have had successive good managers. How much last year's work may have laid the foundations for this year's challenge I cannot say with any conviction.

But they looked an organised and confident side with pace, passing and moving on Saturday. In the end though, they seemed to be content with holding what they had and, with Leicester enjoying more possession, that tactic might have cost them as it has cost us on occasions.

My feelings were though, that if Preston had the courage to keep pressing Leicester they might have been two or three up by half-time because they seemed well able to take us apart for pace and their players were much more available and comfortable on the ball that ours during that spell.

Industrious was a good word - but they had pace and a bit of height too - things that are so important for breaking defences down. Their combative players in midfield could also pass, something I've prayed for in our team.

I may be wrong but I sometimes think you believe I'd abandon industry or combativeness in favour of entertaining attackers. If that's the case, I would like to clear it up and tell you I wouldn't. I always wanted a couple of real killers in my team - people who would tackle anyone and anything like a pile of bricks.

Players have to be more circumspect today but the principle still applies - you have to get the ball to play.

But, hard-cases or not, I'd then expect them to pass and move competently. And I'd expect attacks to be supported with numbers and with competent players who were comfortable passing and comfortable shooting.

This isn't so at Leicester but I did think Preston were generally comfortable with the ball and with their support. They looked much further down the line towards a decent, balanced team than we did.

I think they were better to watch last year. On Saturday they seemed happy to get the goal and shut up shop. Yet again, it is clear that we haven't the imagination and/or the players to play against this tactic. I don't think we have the players to employ it either. I feel like the club is in limbo. This is perhaps why I cannot think of a person who will get us going again. I'm not a happy bunny.
MA
Give it a rest. :yawn:

Man management skills are not his or Stowell's strengths each and every one of those players has had a major issue with them both this season.

I'm not surprised. With the composition of our squad - numerically and in respect of positions - he was bound to have personnel problems.

He has to be far more ruthless and single-minded about who he keeps and who he releases. And about deciding what to do with anyone left in limbo ie: still at the club but with nothing to do.

There are numerous examples. Take Stearman, Kenton, Maybury for instance.

We don't need all three, never did. There's a case for any of them to play depending on your approach. And therefore two out of three are likely to be pissed off if they're not involved and the solution isn't to try and occupy them all to keep the flak from your face.

Either Kenton shouldn't have been signed or one of Stearman/Maybury should have been sold. Ridiculous that didn't happen really once Kenton had arrived.

Youve changed your tune, wasn't it you who was slating me for saying we should sack Rob Kelly before? now you're saying we should sack him and get micky adams to come in. :o

FNQ would do anything to have Mickeh back.

Thanks for last season, but since we were safe we have been poor and we are still languishing in the arsehole of the division, closer to the drop than the play-offs.

That''ll be why we attract more than our fair share of shit in the way of "supporters" then.

That''ll be why we attract more than our fair share of shit in the way of "supporters" then.

Do you actually believe you're a better supporter than anyone who looks at things differently to you or is it just a line you take?

I used to know a Trade Union leader who was like that. All for democracy and everyone having their say - so as they agreed with him.

Do you actually believe you're a better supporter than anyone who looks at things differently to you or is it just a line you take?

I used to know a Trade Union leader who was like that. All for democracy and everyone having their say - so as they agreed with him.

You show me where I have ever stated that I am better than any other supporter.

So would I, MA got us promoted and nearly kept us up with a squad that can be best described as quite limited in flair and an average age of 30+, thats being kind.

Shut up, the squad we came down was amazing in this division. He should of kept us up but he couldn't sort his defense out, because he signed shit, and we didn't nearly stay up we were a good 6 points adrift. He opened his mouth at the start of the 04/05 season, "don't talk to Mickeh Adams about the play offs." :rolleyes: He didn't deliver, he took the easy option. He left this club in a mess.

Give Micky Adams our transfere budget and he wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. You woudn't be seeing any of younger players any where near the first team. We'd be stuck with the likes of Blake, Dublin and Scowcroft.

You show me where I have ever stated that I am better than any other supporter.

When you describe a section of fans as being shit it just gives me that impression. I didn't say you said you thought you were better I just asked you if that was how you honestly felt.

Do you somehow believe that because you support the manager and have faith in him that makes you a better fan than others who have varying degrees of concern about his ability to led us forward?.

It makes me laugh on here how many people say they want Curbishley, i'd love him to come as he did a great job at Charlton. But I get the feeling people think having him would mean a turn about in fortunes over night!!

He was at Charlton for quite a while before they ever got promoted, same with Mandaric at Portsmouth. People expectations seemed to have soared already, so I dread to think what they would be like if we did actually get them both.

The reactionary Leicester fans on here will be going wild if we aren't in the promotion frame come the end of next season.

It makes me laugh on here how many people say they want Curbishley, i'd love him to come as he did a great job at Charlton. But I get the feeling people think having him would mean a turn about in fortunes over night!!

He was at Charlton for quite a while before they ever got promoted, same with Mandaric at Portsmouth. People expectations seemed to have soared already, so I dread to think what they would be like if we did actually get them both.

The reactionary Leicester fans on here will be going wild if we aren't in the promotion frame come the end of next season.

It's the fact that we're more likely to get Lenny Henry in as manager with Ainsley Harriot as his assistant that makes me giggle.

Archived