Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ajax Treesdown

New Manager?

People have been going to football matches for decades, thinking the opposition that beat them looked "a bit average, really" and What-Ifing over the fact their team are lower-mid-table. Fact of the matter is, if football was as simple as all that, we'd all be champions. We're not.

If Preston are just "competent and capable", I'm not sure what that says about everyone below them. Blah blah, "weak league", blah blah blah, yeah yeah etc.

Newell, Curbs, Dowie, Cotterill (if Burnley dont get promoted)... I could see Dowie being a likley choice, he's bound to turn-up at one Championship club or other, though if Cotterill and Curbs dont materialise I'd probably plum for Newell over Dowie to be honest.

We've already seen Dowie can't cut it in the Premiership. I know that we might not get promoted but if we do, well.. :ph34r:

It's stupid talking about this cos Rob's done an excellent job.

But, for the sake of argument, it has to be Dowie. He's a motivator and that's what we really need.

He didn't seem to be able to motivate Charlton considering the squad he had, that has to be seen as a big failure.

I don't think Kelly is going anywhere just yet. Give him time to prove himself with some money and a club that looks like its going somewhere. I have gone full circle on Dowie and wouldn't want him at the club, lack of tactical ability, inability to perform at the top level and all that has been proved this season. MM must have some ideas and people lined up...

Rob Kelly

:thumbup:

Rob Kelly

:thumbup:

It's stupid talking about this cos Rob's done an excellent job.

But, for the sake of argument, it has to be Dowie. He's a motivator and that's what we really need.

The same Dowie that has potentially relegated two sides from the top flight in the last 3 years? :)

Can't wait. :pinch:

He didn't seem to be able to motivate Charlton considering the squad he had, that has to be seen as a big failure.

:thumbup: Pissed away 11 million too, didn't he?

If only the board at Charlton did something wild and let him spend double that, his tenure could have been doubly impressive! :thumbup:

I think we could make good use of Michael Barrymore.

He would make sure all fans were happy, especially those banging on the walls of the stadium, with his hilarious quip "Alwight at the back?"

That would bring a smile to everyone's face, no matter what was happening on the pitch.

I think we could make good use of Michael Barrymore.

He would make sure all fans were happy, especially those banging on the walls of the stadium, with his hilarious quip "Alwight at the back?"

That would bring a smile to everyone's face, no matter what was happening on the pitch.

I'm not sure we would be alright at the back with him around.

It seems he's going to keep his job for now so it's a pointless debate at the moment.

Kelly will be backed with money, and then will be and told what to achieve and what time frame he has to work with. This will be a real test for him, he can't get away with sitting in midtable all season and using the "we have what we have" excuse. Whether or not he will recieve the revised transfere budget in January or in the summer remains to be seen, whenever he gets it I think Mandaric will be expecting to us to be in the top half of the table at least. If he doesn't manage it then is the time to start talking about new managers.

We've already seen Dowie can't cut it in the Premiership. I know that we might not get promoted but if we do, well.. :ph34r:

Bit harsh that isn't it? Can't cut it!!! He took Palace from the relegation area to promotion in his first year. He then only just failed to keep them up on the last day of the season although they were clearly not good enough. And if you think it's fair to judge someone on 12 matches at Charlton folowing Curbishley then God help us all!!!

Bit harsh that isn't it? Can't cut it!!! He took Palace from the relegation area to promotion in his first year. He then only just failed to keep them up on the last day of the season although they were clearly not good enough. And if you think it's fair to judge someone on 12 matches at Charlton folowing Curbishley then God help us all!!!

Couple that with the odious and weasel-like Les "I used to work at the FA" Reed and you have no chance. Well and truly stabbed in the back there.

Still wouldn't want him though.

If Mandaric comes in I can imagine him giving his opinion to Rob Kelly on which players he thinks aren't good enough or where we need strengthening and Rob might not take too nicely to it. Just my opinion but Rob always seems a loyal kind of person, like the way he's never bad-mouthed Levein since he left etc and Mandaric seems to be the kind of person who will speak his mind happily. Not sure the two will get on very well together.

Only man I want to see in charge is Rob Kelly. The man practically saved us last year and is owed a very significant debt of thanks from all at the club, fans included!

Kelly is astute, loyal and reserved. The perfect gent and an extremely capable man manager. He has managed incredibly well on a tiny budget and is investing in the future of the club by making the best use possible of the resources such as the academy instead of moaning about not having money to spend.

They say loyalty is dead in football, and I fear that goes for the fans as much as anybody. Why dont we try and prove exception to the rule? I'm sure a number of people would be calling judas if Kelly were approached by a bigger club, what makes us any different if we see the possibility of a 'big name' manager such as, say, Curbishly and start drooling?

My tuppence worth anyway..

Only man I want to see in charge is Rob Kelly. The man practically saved us last year and is owed a very significant debt of thanks from all at the club, fans included!

Kelly is astute, loyal and reserved. The perfect gent and an extremely capable man manager. He has managed incredibly well on a tiny budget and is investing in the future of the club by making the best use possible of the resources such as the academy instead of moaning about not having money to spend.

They say loyalty is dead in football, and I fear that goes for the fans as much as anybody. Why dont we try and prove exception to the rule? I'm sure a number of people would be calling judas if Kelly were approached by a bigger club, what makes us any different if we see the possibility of a 'big name' manager such as, say, Curbishly and start drooling?

A Tuppence well spent. :thumbup:

I'd like to see Kelly given some more time and money, and a decision made at the end of the season. Play-offs he stays, anything else he goes.

Curbishley is all very well and good, but surely he must be interesting West Ham or Newcastle as well? Like O'Neill, only to a lesser extent, he can cherry-pick his next job. Mandaric isn't Abramovich, so i'd be surprised to see him drop from England candidate to mid-table Championship side material.

I don't know about Dowie. I'd like to know the full story behind him leaving Charlton. I'm sure there's more to it than just bad results. He's been there and done it with Palace, but behind all the bluster and the long words and motivational speaking, I just get the feeling he's just winging it with this management lark and doesn't really know what he's doing.

McLeish is dull. I thought Mandaric was all about loadsamoney crazy living, cocktails and cheerleaders. If Mandaric is Sex On The Beach, McLeish is a half-pint of flat Tennants.

Short term - Kelly

Fantasy choice - Terry Venables

Other choices - Dave Jones, Steve Cotterill, Brian Little

Spot on.

This Kelly bashing is really irritating me, people are expecting blood from stone at the moment. Half the midfielders we have are shite and only 1 striker is firing on any cylinders at the moment. We can't keep chopping and changing managers in the hope of discovering another O'Neill - it simply won't happen. Our golden days are long gone and people have to accept that it will take a few years to build up again.

Kelly has hardly set the world alight but he's not been a disaster like Levein was. Until or unless we're in the relegation mire, Kelly will have my full support. If that means midtable disappointment again, then so be it.

Spot on.

This Kelly bashing is really irritating me, people are expecting blood from stone at the moment. Half the midfielders we have are shite and only 1 striker is firing on any cylinders at the moment. We can't keep chopping and changing managers in the hope of discovering another O'Neill - it simply won't happen. Our golden days are long gone and people have to accept that it will take a few years to build up again.

Kelly has hardly set the world alight but he's not been a disaster like Levein was. Until or unless we're in the relegation mire, Kelly will have my full support. If that means midtable disappointment again, then so be it.

Kelly all the way for me.

Why disrupt the squad even more by changing manager??

People say look at our performance against Preston but Kelly had only 16 fit players the man has done wonders since Leveins era.

Keep Kelly in!!! :angry:

Spot on.

Kelly did a fantastic job saving us last season, no quesion. However he often does beweilder me, his tatics can be negative even if they aren't as bad as some make out, and are to a degree forced upon him. He's summer signings have been questionable, but then again he's had no transfere fund.

He deserves to be backed, IMO you can't do your job as a manager without a transfere budget. I'll be intrested to see how he does.

Kelly did a fantastic job saving us last season, no quesion. However he often does beweilder me, his tatics can be negative even if they aren't as bad as some make out, and are to a degree forced upon him. He's summer signings have been questionable, but then again he's had no transfere fund.

He deserves to be backed, IMO you can't do your job as a manager without a transfere budget. I'll be intrested to see how he does.

:appl: talking sense there Manwell, although I still feel that Kelly could perhaps be slightly less negative when we're playing away from home, and throw the kitchen sink at the opposition right from the off during home games.

Mandaric will leave Kelly in 'til the summer at least imo, and that'll give Kelly the January transfer window to make some signings and change our fortunes for the season. His approach and results from January onwards will determine whether or not he has a future with us. I would like to see him do well but if needs be, get somebody more experienced in :yesyes:

Spot on.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Archived