Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Who Should Be Captain?

100 members have voted

1. 1. Captain...

• Paddy Mac
    • Alan Maybury
    • Patrick Kisnorbo
    • Darren Kenton
    • Stephen Hughes
    • Iain Hume
    • Gareth Williams
    • Danny Tiatto
    • Matt Fryatt
    • Gareth McAuley
    • Nils-Eric Johansson
    • Joshua Low
    • Richard Stearman
    • Elvis Hammond
    • James Wesolowski
    • Momo Sylla
    • Conrad Logan
    • Levi Porter
    • Birds Eye
    • Hook

We haven't got a really good natural captain.

I don't think McCarthy's instinct to ball at people who make mistakes is necessarily the best approach - you can be generally rousing but you need to lift an individual's confidence when they do something wrong - not make them feel worse.

Speciific quietly spoken advice is the most effective...if he's a capable enough analyst out there, which I'm inclined to doubt.

Besides, McCarthy just doesn't set high enough standards himself to go balling at people.

I don't think McCarthy's instinct to ball at people who make mistakes is necessarily the best approach - you can be generally rousing but you need to lift an individual's confidence when they do something wrong - not make them feel worse.

Speciific quietly spoken advice is the most effective...if he's a capable enough analyst out there, which I'm inclined to doubt.

Besides, McCarthy just doesn't set high enough standards himself to go balling at people.

We haven't since Matty Elliott. How we'd love to have him back...

We only need some to call the toss of the coin and pick whichend to start from, So I say let one of the fans do that ( sponsorship idea)

I don't care too much for a captain to go around balling & shouting and supposedly geeing up players, McCarthy can easily gee up the back four when needed, or Kiso can put an arm around Paddy Mc to calm him down, Hume should be geeing up Fryatt, I think you get the picture. All players should be involved in motivating.

I want someone who's good enough to influence the way we play slowing the game down, speeding it up, changing the emphasis. Influencing when to try different free kicks etc. Someone to take instructions from the bench and put them into practice. Someone with a football brain.

We don't have anyone like that, it should be our priority if we are ever in a position to get someone in, preferably one of the midfielders.

Out of a bad lot I'd probably plump for Kisnorbo, at a push I'd like to see what effect it would have on the contribution we get from Williams.

remember when kisnorbo was captain last season, who would of thought a year later people will be saying he should be captain.

people are saying mccarthy shouldn't be captain because he loses his head, what about kisnorbo's lunge at coventry last season and getting himself sent off at hereford this season.

theres no real outstanding candidate for me, so i would stick with mccarthy.

We only need some to call the toss of the coin and pick whichend to start from, So I say let one of the fans do that ( sponsorship idea)

I don't care too much for a captain to go around balling & shouting and supposedly geeing up players, McCarthy can easily gee up the back four when needed, or Kiso can put an arm around Paddy Mc to calm him down, Hume should be geeing up Fryatt, I think you get the picture. All players should be involved in motivating.

I want someone who's good enough to influence the way we play slowing the game down, speeding it up, changing the emphasis. Influencing when to try different free kicks etc. Someone to take instructions from the bench and put them into practice. Someone with a football brain.

We don't have anyone like that, it should be our priority if we are ever in a position to get someone in, preferably one of the midfielders.

Out of a bad lot I'd probably plump for Kisnorbo, at a push I'd like to see what effect it would have on the contribution we get from Williams.

I agree with the basic principle here but it takes you until the last word to resort to a midfielder. That's where our basic problem lies in my opinion. The midfield badly needs leadership.

I agree with the basic principle here but it takes you until the last word to resort to a midfielder. That's where our basic problem lies in my opinion. The midfield badly needs leadership.

I wanted to build up to it for a grandstand finish especially as I'm not known as William's favorite fan.

I don't think McCarthy's instinct to bawl at people who make mistakes is necessarily the best approach - you can be generally rousing but you need to lift an individual's confidence when they do something wrong - not make them feel worse.

Besides, McCarthy just doesn't set high enough standards himself to go bawling at people.

But that approach didn't do Steve Walsh any harm!

Look how many playoff and cup finals he led us to..

Fact is we haven't had anyone worthy of the armband since Elliott. Let them take it in turns till Milan finds a few players. What's the big deal anyway? It only pays better for the player, it doesn't do anything for the cringing faithful that has had to put up with 6 years of decline to THIS.

What about Muzzy? He was well worthy.

I voted Hume.

But that approach didn't do Steve Walsh any harm!

Look how many playoff and cup finals he led us to..

I wouldn't mention Walsh in the same breath as McCarthy. Walsh had an awesome presence which he built up over years and years.

McCarthy's clearly still learning his trade. I actually believed the captaincy would help him be a better player but it is hard to see anything he's improved on.

Yes McCarthy's brave and committed. But he makes far too many mistakes to bawl others out for an occasional misplaced pass because sometimes it seems like only an excuse for covering up his own limitations and I've seen some experienced players doing that as well.

There's a place for a rollicking without doubt but they can lose their effect. Sometimes a quiet word is far more effective, especially where young players are concerned. Rollickings often have the effect simply of making young players pass the buck and that's not what's wanted.

A captain needs to keep their confidence high. In other words someone like Levi cocks up near the penalty box and the skipper takes the first opportunity to nip over and say quietly "you're brilliant son - but save that sort of thing for their penalty box not ours."

I wouldn't mention Walsh in the same breath as McCarthy. Walsh had an awesome presence which he built up over years and years.

McCarthy's clearly still learning his trade. I actually believed the captaincy would help him be a better player but it is hard to see anything he's improved on.

Yes McCarthy's brave and committed. But he makes far too many mistakes to bawl others out for an occasional misplaced pass because sometimes it seems like only an excuse for covering up his own limitations and I've seen some experienced players doing that as well.

There's a place for a rollicking without doubt but they can lose their effect. Sometimes a quiet word is far more effective, especially where young players are concerned. Rollickings often have the effect simply of making young players pass the buck and that's not what's wanted.

A captain needs to keep their confidence high. In other words someone like Levi cocks up near the penalty box and the skipper takes the first opportunity to nip over and say quietly "you're brilliant son - but save that sort of thing for their penalty box not ours."

:rolleyes:

It was you that voted for him, wasn't it?? :P:D

:rolleyes:

It was you that voted for him, wasn't it?? :P:D

If you mean McCarthy lst season (!) yes and I wasn't alone. A pretty sizeable majority felt that way. But frankly we weren't spoilt for choice. Tiatto was not even certain to be rejoining and had hardly been an inspiration last season - failing to win a single match he started.

So where else might we turn for inspiration. And where do we turn right now? It's symptomatic of our problems really.

You might believe someone is best for the job but you can never be sure how he might react to it. And right now it's questionable whether he's worth his place in the side. But you could say that about our other centre-backs so it gets us nowhere.

PS: I've no idea who voted for Levi as captain but I'm not the guilty one. I chuckled at the time because later on it was little Levi seemed to be sending McAuley up front for corners and generally organising what should happen. And he seemed to be doing it pretty well.

Yes and I wasn't alone. A pretty sizeable majority felt that way. But frankly we weren't spoilt for choice. Tiatto was not even certain to be rejoining and had hardly been an inspiration last season - failing to win a single match he started.

So where else might we turn for inspiration. And where do we turn right now? It's symptomatic of our problems really.

:blink::unsure:

There's only 1 vote for Levi. :unsure:

Still doesn't change the fact that in his early years he was part of a City side which if anything was WORSE than the current mob..

But could this just possibly be due to the inadaquacies of the present coaching regime? How many players (apart from Kisnorbo and maybe Stearman) who were here 12 months ago have actually improved since then?

Quite possibly, but as someone who's watched Leicester for a lot longer than I have, you should know that he doesn't hand out the rollickings, there'll often be 20000 people ready to do it for him..

But they're part and parcel of playing for this football club,and indeed many others. With some managers (eg Clough, Ferguson) the abuse occasionally has sometimes strayed beyond the verbal (ask Roy Keane or David Beckham). If players want to reach the big time, they have to develop a thick skin VERY quickly..

Different players have different methods. The best captains lead first of all by example and that's what McCarthy should be doing.

I do like McCarthy to be honest but he's got a very short fuse indeed, though I'm not sure he should have been sent off today... but if not McCarthy (and he wouldnt have been my first choice) then probably Hume, at least he'd lead from the front, failing that Kisnorbo (he's been a good skipper in the past).

I may be wrong but I don't hink he should have been sent off. He genuinely changed direction to try and avoid the crossing player who in my view contrived a touch and made the most of it. But I'd have needed to be closer to be certain.

No need to lie to the poor lad, Porters been average all season, much like the rest of them.

I think McCarthy could become a top class player. Sort of Tony Adams style, perhaps under the guidance of someone like MON he would be worth millions already.

Adams, Walsh, Taggart etc etc all had short fuses, it comes with the job.

Yes but they all had talent, McCarthey is a lower league cart-horse.

Archived