Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geordie

Stephen Hughes

What's peoples opinion on the skinny blonde one?

Personally I think he was a decent signing and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

he is certainly playing a lot better and showing more confidence with williams back

he is certainly playing a lot better and showing more confidence with williams back

I thought that, when Williams was out and Hughes was the only "attacking" player in the middle of the park for many games he seemed very nervy to me, with Williams back he seems to have more confidence.

would be a good player if he had a bit more strength, gets a lot of unfair criticism on here but to be fair that has died down recently.

Because he's been playing better, you can;t criticise someone if they start playing well. I agree with the earlier comments, he's looking a lot more confident now Williams is back.

What everyone else said :ph34r:

Can be lazy and infuriating at times (just like Williams) but he does have the occasional good moment/burst of energy. Chips in with the odd goal as well which is always nice (2nd half against Stoke was great for me!) :D

He's got a good engine, he covers well, he gives a generally solid and reliable performance and occasionally gets in the mood to have a shot or too - but like Tiatto, Johnson, Sylla, Low and the now gone Welsh he flatters to deceive.

He never looks quite brave enough or fast enough to make the very best of his capabilities. He's a worthwhile squad player but the thing I look for in players in every department is effect.

And Hughes doesn't have enough. Measure the accuracy of his passing and it would probably be acceptable but analyse more closely where the passes went and they'd be far too many safe options used and far too few passes designed to hurt the opposition when we do move forward.

The same with his shooting. On a decent day he'll have a crack from distance but he's rarely determined enough to get in the box and even more rarely brave enough to get on the end of things and pose a genuine threat when he does get in there.

This missing devil and ruthless determination is apparent in his tackling too - he harrasses rather than tackles - and while he's still effective enough in that department, the weakness is costly in and around the box and in the passing options he takes.

He doesn't move well off the ball, is not a great supporter of attacks and tends to pass the buck when things are difficult although that's not been so noticeable lately as he's run into better general form.

His strength is the ground he covers and his ability to help limit the oppositions unchallenged attacks on goal. He and Tiatto work extremely well to stiffle many attacks at an early stage.

But that effort is at an attacking cost and overall Hughes is a six points a match midfielder rather than the sort of creative, goalscoring seven or eight points a match dynamo that we need. None of the others I mentioned are better and most are considerably worse.

I'm not sure I'd say he's ever lazy.

You've probably watched him more than me, but I have seen him look quite uninterested at times and not be as energetic as I'd like to have seen him. Maybe it's just me looking for a fault though

I think he gives it his all, he is often running and trying to create things. He just lacks the natural ability that Williams has, and with Williams back it just allows Hughes to play his game much better. He doesn't do alot wrong, when he is consistant he is a good player.

I like him. I've always been a quiet supporter of Hughes. He doesn't control a game though - he has to have good players around him to bring out his best. He looked lost when playing with Johnson.

I've started to warm to him...but take issue with the quietness of your support :D

I feel sorry for him that he was sent out wide right (the Far Right never suits anyone somehow :whistle: ) but you're right, the partnership with Johnson never really clicked.

You've probably watched him more than me, but I have seen him look quite uninterested at times and not be as energetic as I'd like to have seen him. Maybe it's just me looking for a fault though
He hasn't been fully fit the whole time he's been down here, to be fair.

He runs around a lot, but he's no real ball winner, and sometimes lacks that edge to be a truly creative player. I do wonder which he'll be if he ever does regain his fitness and confidence.

End of the day he's the best midfielder at the club and he knows it, so he'll have to do.

which is not saying a lot :P

some games he looks decent , others he can look completely lost.

he is the modern day version of david oldfield lol

End of the day he's the best midfielder at the club and he knows it, so he'll have to do.

I wouldn't say that!

When he first signed I was quite excited; I thought we'd got a gem at a bargain price. He has had his fair share of injuries, butI don't think he has ever quite lived up to expectations. He has been better in recent months, although I rate both Williams and Wesolowski more highly than him.

As long as Kelly doesn't go back to playing Hughes and Johno together we'll be OK... :whistle:

One thing you can never accuse Hughes of is not scoring. He always seems to weigh in with his fair share of goals, often at crucial times.

:blink:

No way, Gazza's a far better player than him.

Archived