Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Have you ever had this crisis in music?

Think I'm going through a crisis in music whereby I don't want to find out/hear about any other new acts because :-

1. Feel I've enough music to keep my satisfied with the artists I know

2. Think there is no real experimentation in music now and everything is now a re-hash from before.

Apart from an Ambient/Electronica genre, I have no wish to find out about any other new artists in any other genre and I feel this has created a 'crisis' in my music and don't have any wish to find out about anything new. I used to always be interested in finding out about new artists, but now because of these two reasons listed above, don't have that interest any more.

Anybody else feel like this or experienced it???

Artists I feel that are unique which I adore are:-

* The Cure

* Massive Attack

* Bob Dylan

* Stevie Wonder

* Depeche Mode

* Aphex Twin

* Simple Minds

* U2

* King Tubby and Lee 'Scratch' Perry

* Leftfield

* Portishead

* The Who

* The Smiths

* Talking Heads

* Boards of Canada

* Otis Redding

etc.

I'd say that once you're getting older, your taste in music is getting narrower. Whereas the spectrum I listened to used to be larger, I've very much settled down to Pop Music from established artists.

I rarely listen to Hip Hop these days, and Techno/Dance doesn't mean much to me.

What happens is, that I start to go backwards and examine the bands that influenced or still influence the groups I like listening to.

I'd say that once you're getting older, your taste in music is getting narrower. Whereas the spectrum I listened to used to be larger, I've very much settled down to Pop Music from established artists.

I rarely listen to Hip Hop these days, and Techno/Dance doesn't mean much to me.

What happens is, that I start to go backwards and examine the bands that influenced or still influence the groups I like listening to.

Yes think you're right mate. I am 30 this year so time is ticking on. Then again, because my sister, who is 10 years older than me, introduced me to the music of Kraftwerk, Talking Heads, Cabaret Voltaire when I was aged 5-6 and my folks constantly played anything from Pink Floyd to Bob Dylan, I've always loved more 'groundbreaking' music in comparison to your Girls Aloud etc.

:D

Yes think you're right mate. I am 30 this year so time is ticking on. Then again, because my sister, who is 10 years older than me, introduced me to the music of Kraftwerk, Talking Heads, Cabaret Voltaire when I was aged 5-6 and my folks constantly played anything from Pink Floyd to Bob Dylan, I've always loved more 'groundbreaking' music in comparison to your Girls Aloud etc.

:D

I'm guessing many 'groundbreaking' (e.g. bands that stray away from the ordinary mainstream music) aren't getting (as much) airplay as they used to. There are many original and innovative bands out there, but I agree that the music world is littered with shit bands nowadays, and as a consequence the good ones are harder to find.

What do you make of bands/artists e.g. like Sigur Ros, Tool, Jeff Buckley, Soul Coughing, Björk, Muse, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails etc.?

I'm guessing many 'groundbreaking' (e.g. bands that stray away from the ordinary mainstream music) aren't getting (as much) airplay as they used to. There are many original and innovative bands out there, but I agree that the music world is littered with shit bands nowadays, and as a consequence the good ones are harder to find.

What do you make of bands/artists e.g. like Sigur Ros, Tool, Jeff Buckley, Soul Coughing, Björk, Muse, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails etc.?

Yep I love Sigur Ros, Bjork, Jeff Buckley (who unfortunately died in 1997?) and experimental Radiohead stuff like Kid A and Amnesiac etc. Not so sure about Muse - are they that innovative? Tool I've heard of, but not their music.

Also good artist to try is David Sylvian (ex-Japan). The Album Leaf are also pretty smart and you might like To Rococco Rot or Mum if you love Sigur Ros

:thumbup:

Yep I love Sigur Ros, Bjork, Jeff Buckley (who unfortunately died in 1997?) and experimental Radiohead stuff like Kid A and Amnesiac etc. Not so sure about Muse - are they that innovative? Tool I've heard of, but not their music.

Also good artist to try is David Sylvian (ex-Japan). The Album Leaf are also pretty smart and you might like To Rococco Rot or Mum if you love Sigur Ros

noticed Aphex Twin on your list, have you tried other Warp stuff like Squarepusher?

noticed Aphex Twin on your list, have you tried other Warp stuff like Squarepusher?

Yes mate, although find some of his stuff too hard. I actually DJ more downtempo stuff like Aphex's Ambient Selected Works or even Nightmares On Wax. Plaid and The Black Dog are one of my favourite artists on Warp, although Autechre and Anti Pop Consortium are quite heavy.

You should also try stuff on Ninja Tunes (Coldcut, Herbaliser, 9Lazy9 and Cinematic Orchestra), TruThoughts (Bonobo, Quantic) and DJ Shadow, RJD2, Unkle as well as Kruder & Dorfmeister stuff.

Although I absolutely adore the legends Massive Attack !!

Yes mate, although find some of his stuff too hard. I actually DJ more downtempo stuff like Aphex's Ambient Selected Works or even Nightmares On Wax. Plaid and The Black Dog are one of my favourite artists on Warp, although Autechre and Anti Pop Consortium are quite heavy.

You should also try stuff on Ninja Tunes (Coldcut, Herbaliser, 9Lazy9 and Cinematic Orchestra), TruThoughts (Bonobo, Quantic) and DJ Shadow, RJD2, Unkle as well as Kruder & Dorfmeister stuff.

Although I absolutely adore the legends Massive Attack !!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

we have very similar taste!.

have been listening to ninja tune for years (stuff like xen cuts, funking fusion, dj food, etc). also have a few tru thoughts (quantic - mishaps happening, notalgia 77 - the garden, alice russel, etc). i love dj shadow (includng the unkle stuff he did with james lavelle) and rjd2 (deadringer is an absolute classic). the shadow and cut chemist mix cd's (brainfreeze) are quality as well.

also listen to stuff like dj krush, lamb, aim, roots manuva (early stuff), portishead (dummy probably all time favourite album), 4hero, underworld, etc etc could go on for awhile longer!!

and finaly a lot of dnb (which i mix) - see bass thread!!

Hey mate, love Roots' first album.

How did you get into this more wayward/underground style of music. I was getting frustrated with House Music about 1994, picked up The Orb's Blue Room album and an album called Textures (mixed by Alex Paterson and Darren Emerson) - mixing Ambient and Intelligent Techno stuff respectively and then it opened up a new life of music for me.

Yep love Portishead, got Glory Box and Sour Times on vinyl, also you may like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing Album - especially when I put it through my new Korg Kaoss 3 pad when DJing !!

I know what you mean LLF. I'm struggling to get excited about a lot of the new music I'm hearing at the moment and am now spending the majority of my time downloading old stuff I used to listen to years ago.

Also I do worry there won't be anything new I'll like and will spend the rest of my life listening to the same old stuff!

I always thought Radio 1 was good for finding new music but I can't stand the self satisfied DJ's who think Qualies Dumptruck and Dogtrack Hazards (or whatever!) are the next big thing cos 'no-one's ever heard of them before so I'll look hip and cool'. Just because it's obscure doesn't make it cool!

Hey mate, love Roots' first album.

How did you get into this more wayward/underground style of music. I was getting frustrated with House Music about 1994, picked up The Orb's Blue Room album and an album called Textures (mixed by Alex Paterson and Darren Emerson) - mixing Ambient and Intelligent Techno stuff respectively and then it opened up a new life of music for me.

Yep love Portishead, got Glory Box and Sour Times on vinyl, also you may like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing Album - especially when I put it through my new Korg Kaoss 3 pad when DJing !!

love endtroducing. haven't listened to it for awhile but i seem to remember organ donor (of course) and midnight in a perfect world being particular favourites.

as for getting into it i guess it probably started with prodigy - music for the gilted generation back in, err, 95-96. me and my mates just used to look out for interesting stuff and together we uncovered a lot of gems like those mentioned above.

also, let's just say i was able to appreciate music more (or at least in a different way) around the age of 16 onwards and my taste developed from there really.

i decided, when i was in my early 20's, that i would never become one of those 'music was much better in my day, you can't even hear the words in songs these days' people and i hope i've stuck to that (although there's loads of shit around these day, but it has been forever thus)

'92-'93-'94 were tough years though, so much rubbish; madchester had ended and brit pop was years away. what did happen in those years though was my growing respect for dance music, which i'd ignored until i had no choice! :cool:

i decided, when i was in my early 20's, that i would never become one of those 'music was much better in my day, you can't even hear the words in songs these days' people and i hope i've stuck to that (although there's loads of shit around these day, but it has been forever thus)

'92-'93-'94 were tough years though, so much rubbish; madchester had ended and brit pop was years away. what did happen in those years though was my growing respect for dance music, which i'd ignored until i had no choice! :cool:

And that's why you're going with Charles & Eddie, eh?

Would you lie to me, baby? lol

I actually DJ more downtempo stuff like Aphex's Ambient Selected Works or even Nightmares On Wax. Plaid and The Black Dog are one of my favourite artists on Warp, although Autechre and Anti Pop Consortium are quite heavy.

Excellent, one and all.

Archived