Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Colchester Match Reactions

Timesonline

Colchester 1 Leicester 1: Referee brings farce to tired encounter

IT was not quite Graham Poll at the World Cup - could anyone match booking one player three times? - but it was close.

As the game entered its final minute, Karl Duguid's challenge on Patrick Kisnorbo brought farce to a dull afternoon at a ground where there has been so much high-tempo football all season.

Duguid was first shown a yellow card, then instantly a red, by referee Danny McDermid for the foul but as the Colchester midfield player headed towards the tunnel, the official was just in front of him.

It was McDermid's first day in charge of a Championship match, only his 16th League game in total, and he will never forget it. He spoke to the fourth official and then changed his decision because Duguid had not even been booked in the first place.

The challenge was hardly worth a straight red, let alone two yellows, and summed up the performance of the London referee.

Leicester had been fuming since the 46th minute when McDermid awarded Colchester a penalty after Patrick McCarthy had climbed onto the back of Chris Iwelumo, and though the striker went down, it was hardly greeted with a mass of appeals.

Iwelumo scored from the spot, but Rob Kelly, the Leicester manager, was bemused. "It was too much for him (the referee), it was a bridge too far," said Kelly. "Everyone in the stadium knew that he would do something which would decide the outcome of the match.

"Maybe he needs to cut his teeth more, maybe it is early for him to come to this level; it was not a penalty."

Geraint Williams, whose Colchester side failed to equal a club record of 12 successive home League wins in a season, was slightly more diplomatic.

"The referee did his best," said Williams. "I have watched the penalty on the video and it does look a bit soft. But you have to move on sometime in your career.

"When Karl was shown the second yellow card, he told the referee that he had not even been booked. He asked him to check and it was good that he did."

The game's seven yellow cards hardly represented a match of little ill-temper or bad tackles where Colchester lacked the punch which has made them contenders for the promotion play-offs.

In fact, Leicester never allowed them to. Watched by the former Portsmouth owner Milan Mandaric, who is days away from completing a £25m deal to buy Leicester, they became the first side to leave Layer Road with at least a point since Barnsley on the second Saturday of the season.

They prevented Colchester from making a rapid start, quickly blocking their attacking intent on their favoured right wing, and taking the lead in the 18th minute when Gareth Williams found Iain Hume who scored from 12 yards. Iwelumo's 14th goal of the season salvaged a point but Dean Gurken had to make three fine late saves to deny Alan Maybury, Matty Fryatt and Hume from snatching a win which Leicester probably deserved.

Well you asked and I explained. I didn't expect you to be convinced. But the facts don't lie, not after this amount of time.

I'm perfectly happy that Fryatt played well but people who was there mentioned that a) our strikers faded second half and b) Fryatt should still have scored one of his chances.

Perfect opportunity to use Dodds off the bench but no. And no Cadamarti until it was all over.

In other words no room for anyone who's actually scoring goals. Bizarre.

Did we settle for a draw? Only RK knows.

We did. Explain why only one sub was made when half the team was carded. One thing I don't like about Kelly is his failure to use substitutions to the maximum. Even for 3 min a game for someone

Ref was awful.

Motivation appeared to be there.

We were VERY short on ideas though.

Colchester offered very little.

Overall, it was 2 fairly poor teams. We may have had the better of it and the penalty seemed dubious but I hardly think we 'deserved' three points.

The entire midfield apart from Tiatto were missing throughout. Porter really struggled against a good full back. Fryatt tried hard but he's just not sharp enough at the moment. As I've said, the ref didn't help our cause, but he can't be blamed for the entire midfield going missing for such large chunks of the game.

Paddy M shouldn't be in the side either. Get Maybury back to right back or Stearman there, with McAuley and Kisnorbo in the middle.

Word.

Paddy M shouldn't be in the side either. Get Maybury back to right back or Stearman there, with McAuley and Kisnorbo in the middle.

Word.

re: substitutions...I'm not sure why RK waited so long. He's rubbish at substitutions. Always too cautious and waits too long.

Word x 2

I know Thracian will say bring in the kids - but I don't see what else we can do with the midfield apart from 'replace it'...and that isn't happening until the close season.

With any luck we'll have replaced the man who can not make substitutions by then. :D

Agreed, Danny should have had a bit more of a chance to make an impact

Caution creeping to the fore. Kelly's seen the team play well collectively.

But the scores are level, anything can happen and he doesn't want to do anything to turn it the other way.

So he sticks.

If Cadamarteri had come on and not done well - and had we somehow conceded another goal - Kelly would be seen as changing a team that was doing well for no good reason.

Fryatt, the player who's place he might have taken, was MoM in several lists. Taking him off would not have been popular..

So to some extent therefore Kelly was on a hiding to nothing. I see his predicament and understand/accept his decision though there were brave/positive options.

We have a situation at Leicester where we continue to play attackers who don't score and/or create goals but keep leaving out people who do. It's bizarre given our woeful goals record.

We have a situation at Leicester where we continue to play attackers who don't score and/or create goals but keep leaving out people who do. It's bizarre given our woeful goals record.

Slow down a second...Danny C scored a goal, lot's of people score in their first few games. We also have no idea what his fitness levels are like, after 6 months out. We tried playing COG for a while but he wasn't scoring either. Hume is scoring, Fryatt is looking dangerous and will break his drought soon. It's not like we have a proven scorer on the bench (at this level) who we're leaving out for no reason.

First time I've seen Fryatt in a while... I don't doubt he has a bit of ability/quality but we certainly don't play to his strengths. If we got a decent offer, I'd seriously consider letting him go. He just does not look like scoring... he's too slow, a yard off the pace, not just with the ball.. but without it too... he's just not sharp enough and too slow to get in to positions where he can really cause problems.

Looks happy to be marked too... his movement off the ball is pretty horrendous.. or at least it was yesterday.

First time I've seen Fryatt in a while... I don't doubt he has a bit of ability/quality but we certainly don't play to his strengths. If we got a decent offer, I'd seriously consider letting him go. He just does not look like scoring... he's too slow, a yard off the pace, not just with the ball.. but without it too... he's just not sharp enough and too slow to get in to positions where he can really cause problems.

Looks happy to be marked too... his movement off the ball is pretty horrendous.. or at least it was yesterday.

He's looked sharper in the last few games. Imagine how bad he was before.

Slow down a second...Danny C scored a goal, lot's of people score in their first few games. We also have no idea what his fitness levels are like, after 6 months out. We tried playing COG for a while but he wasn't scoring either. Hume is scoring, Fryatt is looking dangerous and will break his drought soon. It's not like we have a proven scorer on the bench (at this level) who we're leaving out for no reason.

The only likely reason Dodds has not proved his ability at senior level is because he's never been given a chance.

He scored a hat-trick this week, has scored consistently for ages and I cannot think of one single reason not to give him an opportunity considering our chronic lack of firepower.

Except perhaps for the economic and diplomatic problems it would have caused when he buried at least some of the chances Fryatt's had these recent weeks.

Cos there's no way he'd have missed em all.

I like Fryatt at his best. But that doesn't blind me to the facts. And frankly I'm sick of hearing from all quarters that Fryatt will score next week, soon, sometime, maybe.

Despite his rave ratings I gather he missed two more really good opportunities yesterday and I've watched him miss some gilt-edged chances in the weeks before that.

Cadamarteri was a surprise signing to me. I was sceptical. Keep an open mind it was suggested. No problem.

He was signed, so I gather, because he can score and create - and has done so at top level.

And what does he do on week one?. Exactly what we've needed. Scores one and makes one. Result?. Back on the bench for 84 more minutes of idleness, as if he's not had enough of those these last years. Great incentive that.

By the way that's the first time I've ever heard your excuse for leaving a bloke out - "lots of people score in their first games." Bugger me did no-one tell him not to rush?.

Yet, why not apply that to Fryatt?. Because apart from his goals burst at the start of his career at Leicester he's done precious little since.

But no, nothing like that should apply to Fryatt. Costly signing. Must be good. Fans favourite. Eight goals in two half seasons, two in the last half.

How many excuses are there to avoid us changing anything cos I've read a scroll of em on this forum recently and each as piss poor as the others?

No we don't know Cadamarteri's fitness levels! But that wasn't a problem with Fryatt when he played several matches while obviously unfit, both before his injury and after.

If Cadamarteri's not fit he shouldn't be in the squad but if he is, perhaps he'll wise up after what you say and not score again until he's been here a few months and established himself. Or not score any more at all. That should do it. :whistle:

* PS: Chris O'Grady hasn't had any sort of proper chance. He played a few cameos to strict instructions and then upset the manager from what was said on here. Over and out.

I don't suppose it matters because he doesn't seem like a natural scorer and he'll never get near enough the top of the pecking order to find out. Just offload is my view.

But let's not pretend he's had a chance. As Crocodile Dundee might have said: Fryatt - now that's a chance.

And right now he wants to stop worrying and try the marksman's equivalent of a rain dance.

Very good day out. I loved their ground. It was hilarious! If you wanted to, you could get a leg up into the ground :P

As for the match. yeah we should have won. The game was spoiled by a terrible referee who had no control over the game.

It was good to see Hume score a goal and link up with Fryatt fairly well. The partnership looks to be settling again now a bit like last season. We'll see how it unfolds eventually.

Very good day out. I loved their ground. It was hilarious! If you wanted to, you could get a leg up into the ground :P

As for the match. yeah we should have won. The game was spoiled by a terrible referee who had no control over the game.

It was good to see Hume score a goal and link up with Fryatt fairly well. The partnership looks to be settling again now a bit like last season. We'll see how it unfolds eventually.

True. Good link up play from Fryatt and good finish from Hume. If they finally do start performing as a partnership it will be our first choice partnership no doubt. (I hope)

True. Good link up play from Fryatt and good finish from Hume. If they finally do start performing as a partnership it will be our first choice partnership no doubt. (I hope)

Fryatt just needs one to come of his backside and then I think it might kick off. He's getting the chances he just needs to tuck one away.

Fryatt just needs one to come of his backside and then I think it might kick off. He's getting the chances he just needs to tuck one away.

Thought he'd done it yesterday but got ruled offside. Sure that will have restored some confidence.

With only TWO goals so far this season, it's not the right time to sell him.

Only just got back from Essex (I stayed with a mate over the weekend) and have to report that the locals I spoke to were impressed with our performance both on and off the pitch. Yes, the ref was lamentably poor, but so was our finishing (Fryatt and Williams being the worst culprits), and it was our failure to convert chances which cost us the win.

There was plenty of fun and games in the Dragoon pub before and after the game. About a dozen lads staged a noisy protest against the Foxes Trust, obviously influenced by the trash they'd read in our local tabloid. They then followed this up with chants of "England" and "Keep St George in my heart", which I and others found somewhat ironic given our club's imminent transfer into Serb hands (which these numpties presumably approve of... :rolleyes::rolleyes: ).

Afterwards we met up in the same pub with a number of lads from Coalville who regaled the assembled throng with tales of the Squad's battles in the dim and distant past. I couldn't tell whether these tales carried the ring of truth or were simply yarns, but the Colchester fans who were present seemed pretty convinced.

Apart from the result, it was an excellent day all round, and I look forward to making the same trip next season!

By PAUL JIGGINS

January 15, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

KEM IZZET did the hokey cokey before ref Danny McDermid put his cards in-out, in-out and waved them all about.

The Colchester midfielder set the tone for a farcical afternoon by larking about in his side’s pre-match huddle.

He admitted: “I just can’t be serious in the huddle — I just muck around.

“The boys were all geeing themselves up and talking about what they were going to do in the game — and I was doing the hokey cokey.

“They were having a go at me and telling me I should be taking it seriously but that’s just me getting ready for a game.”

But Izzet’s comic antics were nothing compared with ref McDermid’s.

The woeful whistler had a shocking Championship debut.

He booked seven players, disallowed three goals, awarded Colchester a dodgy penalty and then put his red card in and then his red card out.

McDermid showed U’s skipper Karl Duguid a red card for two bookings only for the fourth official to point out the midfielder had not previously been shown a yellow.

Izzet added: “Without being too disrespectful, the ref was not at his best. When he pulled out a red card for Karl, that just about topped his day.

“I don’t want to have a go at him, because these things do get back, but I don’t think he did himself any favours.

“The penalty he gave us was generous but we had one in the first half he should have given so maybe he was trying to level it up.

“I just thought his decisions weren’t very good.”

McDermid has dished out 51 yellows and three reds in 15 games in his first season in the league. The official has been compared with Mike Riley but he performed more like Old Mother Riley.

The Army Captain shot himself in the foot three minutes from time when he showed Duguid what he thought was a second yellow and a red for a foul on Patrick Kisnorbo.

But McDermid immediately rescinded the red after fourth official Declan Ford confirmed it was Duguid’s first booking.

Duguid said: “Sometimes you get refs who are on the ball and sometimes you don’t.

“I don’t know what happened. He told me he was booking me and then said, ‘I’ve booked you already, haven’t I?’ I said, ‘No you have not’. He said, ‘Yes I have’.

“I tried to help him but he wasn’t listening. Strange things happen but that was a first for me.” Iain Hume slotted Leicester into the lead before Chris Iwelumo equalised with a spot-kick after he was adjudged to have been fouled by Patrick McCarthy.

City boss Rob Kelly said: “It was the ref’s first Championship game and it was a bit too much for him.

“Everyone knew something was coming and the penalty changed the game. It’s his first game but it’s our living.

“That said, I was pleased we stood up to the test after they equalised. When decisions like that go against you, it’s easy to cave in but we stayed strong.”

email this story Email to a friend print this story Print this story

Archived