Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Matt Holland

FAO - Thracian

You are always the first to state how great our youngsters are, and how they deserve more of a chance.

Can you not see that in getting a player in like Holland, greatly improves the learning of our younger players.

I didn't say I wouldn't have him as a coach.

In his last 23 Premiership games he's been on the winning side five times. And he's presently scoring around a goal every 10 games for a team which probably wouldn't beat us right now - they didn't last time they tried.

In his last 23 Premiership games he's been on the winning side five times. And he's presently scoring around a goal every 10 games for a team which probably wouldn't beat us right now - they didn't last time they tried.

<_< Just pro Andy King garbage. He'd do a job here and if you'd actually seen anything of him or Charlton since they played us two years ago you might know that.

FAO - Thracian

You are always the first to state how great our youngsters are, and how they deserve more of a chance.

Can you not see that in getting a player in like Holland, greatly improves the learning of our younger players.

We haven't imo got a single player at the moment to guide and inspire the younger players.

Nearest is Tiatto on his work rate only.

Remember Peake coming into the side along side an old Eddie Kelly, he went from young and naive to 'God'

Needs to be a balance

There isnt a point in you saying that he's only won 5 of his last 23 prem games ! A team has 11 players. Does that mean you won't sign the likes of Darren Bent because he plays in a losing side ?

A goal every 10 games is better than most of our current midfielders ! and he tends to play in more of a defensive role.

You last point about him playing in a team that wouldnt beat us. Does that mean that we shouldn't sign players from teams that are not as good as us ?

He's a quality players, with bags of experience. Your just trying to get a reaction to your posts... ( and its working ! )

We haven't imo got a single player at the moment to guide and inspire the younger players.

Nearest is Tiatto on his work rate only.

Remember Peake coming into the side along side an old Eddie Kelly, he went from young and naive to 'God'

Needs to be a balance

Spot on.

We need to build a mix of youth and experience, and by the sounds of it thats what RK is doing.

I just don't understand how some people on here can defend a past-expiry-date, lacklustre midfielder from a mediocre-tending-to-bad Premiership side.

This has nothing to do with Pro-King propaganda, rather with the reliability of a used car that is still in the hands of another owner. Would you buy that when you can't be sure what you're getting and the current driver's full of praise for it?

And how can you compare Holland (33 soon) to Eddie Kelly (who was 26 when we signed him)?

I just don't understand how some people on here can defend a past-expiry-date, lacklustre midfielder from a mediocre-tending-to-bad Premiership side.

This has nothing to do with Pro-King propaganda, rather with the reliability of a used car that is still in the hands of another owner. Would you buy that when you can't be sure what you're getting and the current driver's full of praise for it?

Thats a stupid point !

Every signing is a gamble and your never sure of how the player is going to react to a new club.

Look at Shevchenko. Arguably the best finisher in the world, but looks average against average oposition.

Thats a stupid point !

Every signing is a gamble and your never sure of how the player is going to react to a new club.

Look at Shevchenko. Arguably the best finisher in the world, but looks average against average oposition.

To be honest, our signings in the past 3 to 4 years have mostly been shit (and costly) and a big percentage was glad to leave again. Leaving Leicester works miracles: Their performances got better straightaway. Does that speak for or against our club?

And the Shevchenko example proves exactly that a big name (and Shevchenko used to be world-class) doesn't mean nothing when the coach doesn't want to see him play or when the competition within the team's that stiff.

One Holland doesn't make a Summer.

Passing his sell-by date, sadly.

Unfortunately Thracian, this team lacks any sort of experience in midfield. The experienced players we have at our club are all crap (Tiatto, Johnson, Douglas). Now, you don't have to be over 30 to be classed as experienced, but to get a 26-27 year old player with the experience we need, it's likely they'll cost £3-5 million.

Holland, who i've seen play a couple of times this season, does still look like he's got a lot to offer. Ok, so he's 32. But we are in need of a midfielder to sort out this team. Unless you can come up with any suggestions for any better, I think Holland would be an ideal signing. (Richard Hughes, would be great aswell. 28, experienced and possibly available for under a million)

<_< Just pro Andy King garbage. He'd do a job here and if you'd actually seen anything of him or Charlton since they played us two years ago you might know that.

I don't remember mentioning Andy King.

But people who think Holland would be used to partner Andy King to better things are assuming one mighty change of emphasis where our midfield is concerned.

Where exactly do Williams, Wesolowski, Hughes and Johnson play while that's happening?

Even if Holland wasn't passing or past his best - which I believe he is - it's not another midfield general we need. It is someone who really creates, genuinely attacks the box and who poses a significant goal threat.

Yes, I think King does those things and that makes him a rarity. Doesn't mean anyone's shown the slightest interest in playing him in the first team despite our chronic lack of firepower from midfield and I can't see Milan "we need more experience" Mandaric being any different.

So if you prefer to champion age and experience you're probably in tune with the club's intent and if, from your encyclopaedic knowledge of world footballers, you know someone who'll fit that bill and wants to come here, then fine.

It wouldn't be my way forward - I much prefer appreciating footballers - but it would be perfectly defensible.

I still can't see any evidence in Matt Holland's recent statistics to convince me that he is such a man.

But people who think Holland would be used to partner Andy King to better things are assuming one mighty change of emphasis where our midfield is concerned.

Where exactly do Williams, Wesolowski, Hughes and Johnson play while that's happening?

Even if Holland wasn't passing or past his best - which I believe he is - it's not another midfield general we need. It is someone who really creates, genuinely attacks the box and who poses a significant goal threat.

Yes, I think King does those things and that makes him a rarity. Doesn't mean anyone's shown the slightest interest in playing him in the first team despite our chronic lack of firepower from midfield and I can't see Milan "we need more experience" Mandaric being any different.

So if you prefer to champion age and experience you're probably in tune with the club's intent and if, from your encyclopaedic knowledge of world footballers, you know someone who'll fit that bill and wants to come here, then fine.

It wouldn't be my way forward - I much prefer appreciating footballers - but it would be perfectly defensible.

I still can't see any evidence in Matt Holland's recent statistics to convince me that he is such a man.

I have plenty of ideas, admitedly if it was down to me Matt Holland wouldn't be one of my choices.

However for Rob Kelly he's a decent signing.

Exaclty who are the current Midfield Generals we have...... there certainly not performing there duties.

If you don't think Holland is good enough to play for us, would you care to give an example of a player who is ?

I'd have a look at Holland... assess him, give him a week trial or something.

Having said that... you're all missing the point I made a couple of weeks ago. He is playing regular first team football for Charlton and is currently their captain!

Why would he bleedin' well come here?

Exaclty who are the current Midfield Generals we have...... there certainly not performing there duties.

If you don't think Holland is good enough to play for us, would you care to give an example of a player who is ?

I didn't say Matt Holland wasn't good enough to play for us nor did I seek to imply it.

If we had no midfield players signed on and Holland was the "experience" fine.

But we do have midfielders signed and how much experience do you want with Williams, Tiatto, Johnson and Hughes already contesting two central midfield spots?

Not one of those four genuinely attacks the box and scores goals. I simply say that Holland will be no different and that is not what we need.

As for examples if you really want a breakdown, Manwell's the man you need to speak to. I rarely get involved in signing speculation because half the time they are too expensive, not available, don't want to come or are no better than what we already have at the club.

But as a guide, I'd say anyone who's a better attacker than Andy King who is 18-24, still improving and therefore able add value to our squad. Someone with energy, ambition and a body that's fit enough to last the pace and pose the oppposition serious problems.

Some ageing star's can surprise you by doing well, Cottee was an example. Sheringham perhaps another.

Often though their bodies won't co-operate and their minds have seen it all before and refuse to make the adrenalin flow.

I didn't say Matt Holland wasn't good enough to play for us nor did I seek to imply it.

If we had no midfield players signed on and Holland was the "experience" fine.

But we do have midfielders signed and how much experience do you want with Williams, Tiatto, Johnson and Hughes already contesting two central midfield spots?

Not one of those four genuinely attacks the box and scores goals. I simply say that Holland will be no different and that is not what we need.

Williams and Hughes are hardly qualifed as experinced now are they? Johnson is useless and needs to be gone, leaves you with Tiatto who has he's plane ticket to Melbourne booked already I would think.

Also keep in mind that Holland has neither scored nor assisted on any of Charlton's few goals this season.

Not a very influential figure on the pitch, eh?

Exactly right, what we need is a player who regularly scores goals and assists them at one of the highest levels of world football, I hear Ronaldo is looking for a new club. :rolleyes:

Exactly right, what we need is a player who regularly scores goals and assists them at one of the highest levels of world football, I hear Ronaldo is looking for a new club. :rolleyes:

Just the next name on the long list of players about to head to the States. Wouldn't surprise me.

Williams and Hughes are hardly qualifed as experinced now are they? Johnson is useless and needs to be gone, leaves you with Tiatto who has he's plane ticket to Melbourne booked already I would think.

You don't have to be over the age of 28/29 though to be classed as experienced. The fact is, our midfield is shit and it lacks any sort of figure head who can drive it forward. Holland, still has a lot to offer from what i've seen and regardless of his age, I think he'd do a very good job for us.

I'd like 2 new midfielders minimum.

Time to come clean... me and Matt Holland are mates (he lives in Kings Hill - incidentally where most of Charlton's squad live as well as SWP, Ian Wright and a few other rich footballers).

I asked him about this and he said he wouldn't go to Leicester even if we were the only club in for him, he'd retire.

You don't have to be over the age of 28/29 though to be classed as experienced. The fact is, our midfield is shit and it lacks any sort of figure head who can drive it forward. Holland, still has a lot to offer from what i've seen and regardless of his age, I think he'd do a very good job for us.

I'd like 2 new midfielders minimum.

Maybe not but I'd say you'd have to be over the age of 25/26 and thats if you've played alot of football for your age, neither Hughes nor Williams qualifies.

Archived