Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Matt Holland

I have gone hoarse at the fingertips, the amount of times I have said.... We need a midfielder to RUN the team.... I like Quashie but Holland has the potential, also a bit of age an experience is NO bad thing, with limits! (MA!!)

What do you mean 'needs more games'? He's next to never out of the team.

Williams always seems to flatter to decieve. I can remember when we signed him "ahead of Rangers who wanted to spend £5m a few months earlier". I was expecting alot bloody more!! He is a decent squad player but not much more IMO. Lets get rid of Johnson and get Holland in as his replacement and slowly try and get this squad looking stronger...

The King bit was a throwaway remark. Even if you're right and he is better than some of our first teamers, it's pretty clear RK isn't gonna throw him in.

Define 'take us forward'. Because if he can provide us with two seasons of football even slightly better than the inconsistant dross Williams and Hughes are providing the signing seems perfectly sensible, too me, even if we do have more pressing weaknesses.

"Taking us forward" means having an entire team, plus cover, that can score the goals to lift us up the League and have us challenging properly for promotion. We 've never yet played such a team these last two seasons.

You need 75/80 goals a season to go up and somewhere you've got to have the potential in the team to score them, as I did warn clearly in the summer..

It's plain therefore that you can't have many 3 or 4 goals a season strikers/midfield players and that is what the nearly 33-year-old Holland is, along with all ou other first team midfielders (at best!).

We're presently on target for fewer than 50 goals for our season.

A competent striker might account for 15/18, add 15 more for Hume per season (33 total at best) but where are the other 42 coming from if the most we can hope for from our present midfielders is only 4/5 goals each or 16 all told because by my reckoning that leaves us 21 short.

We simply must get more goals from more places.

What Leicester City needs is a better link between all of there players and staff,

And also some bright talent is needed for Leicester. I think they should bring back Joey Gudjonsson, also get in lee Hendrie and someone like Matt Piper and following him Ryan Smith.

Defence wise, We need a strong leader a bit like Matt Elliott was for us.

Kind Regards

Craig Adams 22

What Leicester City needs is a better link between all of there players and staff,

And also some bright talent is needed for Leicester. I think they should bring back Joey Gudjonsson, also get in lee Hendrie and someone like Matt Piper and following him Ryan Smith.

Defence wise, We need a strong leader a bit like Matt Elliott was for us.

Kind Regards

Craig Adams 22

i think your right there...

...apart from smith bit, imho he only gets involved in big games

if you look at some of the games last season if we were playing a not so good side he would hardly get back behind the half way line

where we really lack in midfield is someone who can run at defenders down the right, will score some goals and can put a cross in to, also someone who is not afraid to get stuck in, if we find someone like that our midfiled will be ace

I think Holland would be a terrific signing. I've only seen him on live games/highlights, but he looks to be holding his own in the Premiership.

I can understand the comparison to Johnson, although I feel Holland is the better player by some distance.

The rumour doesn't make much sense though. The MM deal hasn't gone through yet, and why would he sacrifice the Premiership (wages and football) for what we have to offer at this present time?

I think Holland would be a terrific signing. I've only seen him on live games/highlights, but he looks to be holding his own in the Premiership.

I can understand the comparison to Johnson, although I feel Holland is the better player by some distance.

The rumour doesn't make much sense though. The MM deal hasn't gone through yet, and why would he sacrifice the Premiership (wages and football) for what we have to offer at this present time?

depends on how long he's got on his present contract. if he's only got 6 months left say and he could get 2-2.5 years out of us, it might be worth his while.

depends on how long he's got on his present contract. if he's only got 6 months left say and he could get 2-2.5 years out of us, it might be worth his while.

Perhaps. Alternatively he may want to assess his options in the summer (If of course he's out of contract)

Would be a VERY good signing if we could get him. Would definitely provide options for our lightweight midfield!

But you have to ask yourself: 'Why would Charlton want to get rid of him?"

The answer that comes to mind is look at what chalrton have that are sellable assets and they probably feel bent can do more to keep them up then holland, hollands age means any value he has is going to diminish faster. For someone in the championship I think holland will be a great singing hes still good enough to play well in the premier so I think he has at least 18-36 months in him for this level.

The answer that comes to mind is look at what chalrton have that are sellable assets and they probably feel bent can do more to keep them up then holland, hollands age means any value he has is going to diminish faster. For someone in the championship I think holland will be a great singing hes still good enough to play well in the premier so I think he has at least 18-36 months in him for this level.

If you re going to get him, use a loan. No need for a gamble. If they need money though luck to them. We re not here to appease anybody else. I dont think we need more players over 30. What we need is to snap up talent like Birmingham have done. Maybe go a league lower

we could of done with someone like hollands experience last night after going 3-1 up. someone in either centre mid or at centre back that could of killed the game. our oldest outfield player was gareth mcauley and our inexperience shown at times.

Thats a really good point.

Thats also why i think he's a worthwhile signing.

We simply must get more goals from more places.

Indeed, you should also expect your centre backs to be getting 5 each, plus another 5 in total from your full backs. Think back to the likes of Walsh and Elliot, dangerous as you like from a set piece. Paddy K seems capable of this, not sure about the others. Our full backs clearly are not going to deliver their share.

Indeed, you should also expect your centre backs to be getting 5 each, plus another 5 in total from your full backs. Think back to the likes of Walsh and Elliot, dangerous as you like from a set piece. Paddy K seems capable of this, not sure about the others. Our full backs clearly are not going to deliver their share.

McAuley scored last night, sneaked in at the back post and nodded it home. one reason we got him from Lincoln is because he is dangerous in the box.

Williams should score more. he always seems scared to shoot even though he can produce a screamer.

I've always admired Matt Holland as a player. He may be 32 but I think he would have alot to give to us. Quality signing if it happens. He can play defence or midfield, hell of a good leader and he's got a verygood touch. Personally I think he is better than any player we have.

McAuley scored last night, sneaked in at the back post and nodded it home. one reason we got him from Lincoln is because he is dangerous in the box.

Williams should score more. he always seems scared to shoot even though he can produce a screamer.

Also, from listening to the radio - when McAuley and Kisnorbo are our CB pairing, they go up for a corner/free kick, and it's suggested they both go for the ball - it just so happens that Kisnorbo gets the ball and McAuley doesn't. He's up there giving it a go, but Kisnorbo manages to get there first.

From what I gather from radio commentary. :ph34r:

we could of done with someone like hollands experience last night after going 3-1 up. someone in either centre mid or at centre back that could of killed the game. our oldest outfield player was gareth mcauley and our inexperience shown at times.

Not at all sure about that. It is when you start conceding the initiative you get in trouble.

Leicester took the game to Fulham, had them on the ropes but either didn't have the fitness to see it through or saw the winning post ahead in the distance, modified their approach from one of attack to one of trying to hold what they had and it all went downhill.

Football in part is a game of emotion - it involves a team's state of mind. At 3-1 a team is reeling and if you go at them some more they are even more vulnerable because they are having to commit people forward.

But if a team scores at 3-1 they are given a huge lift, they know they can save the day, they have already committed people forward and can swamp a now backtracking opposition.

The way ahead is to keep doing what won you the lead in the first place. How often do you see teams voluntarily lose impetus and try to hold what they have - and fail. As any solider would say, if you have a guy by the throat don't loosen your grip and invite retailiation, keep the grip and finish him off.

Not at all sure about that. It is when you start conceding the initiative you get in trouble.

Leicester took the game to Fulham, had them on the ropes but either didn't have the fitness to see it through or saw the winning post ahead in the distance, modified their approach from one of attack to one of trying to hold what they had and it all went downhill.

Football in part is a game of emotion - it involves a team's state of mind. At 3-1 a team is reeling and if you go at them some more they are even more vulnerable because they are having to commit people forward.

But if a team scores at 3-1 they are given a huge lift, they know they can save the day, they have already committed people forward and can swamp a now backtracking opposition.

The way ahead is to keep doing what won you the lead in the first place. How often do you see teams voluntarily lose impetus and try to hold what they have - and fail. As any solider would say, if you have a guy by the throat don't loosen your grip and invite retailiation, keep the grip and finish him off.

I think that when we tried to hold it at 3-1 we were asking for it. As I have said in other topics when we conceded the goal to make it 3-2 you could see what was happening as the heads had dropped and then Fulham completly took the game by the scruff of the neck and ran us round and showed why they are a Prem side.

Although we still created chances we left ourselves very open to the counter attack because we commited Williams and Weso forward. This is where Matt Holland could of used his experience just to slow the game down and break u play for the 10 mins we needed to hold the 3-1 lead for.

Archived