Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Definition of a great band

Whatcha reckon?

I keep listening to Arctic Monkeys songs after the gig last night and every song that comes on I think, "yeah this is definitely my favourite..."

I had about 15 of their songs in my head at various points today.

Anyone care to offer a mathematical formulae for defining a great band?|

E=MC2

I think you have sort of hit the nail on the head, if you really like all the songs on the album then it shows the band are able to consisitently churn out good music. I don't think you can generally define a great band, it has to be personal taste.

E=MC2

I think you have sort of hit the nail on the head, if you really like all the songs on the album then it shows the band are able to consisitently churn out good music. I don't think you can generally define a great band, it has to be personal taste.

Or that they are samey one trick ponies.

Although I suppose if you like the style, it's great.

ps this isn't a swipe at any band. I like the AM.

Yeah but there not crap to the people that bought them. Its all personal preferrance.

True!

My definition of a great band comes down to their ability to evolve musically.

I wouldn't call a band with one or two albums to their name "great" for the simple fact that they've simply written a minimum of 20 decent tracks and through a combination of hard work, good publicity and a lot of luck managed to attract a following and so generated a lot of album sales.

There are hundreds of "great bands" out there with a couple of "great albums" to their name, but what about the other 5 or 6 shoite albums they've produced.

Influence.

I'd agree with that. Bands who have greatly influenced the music scene or are highly regarded amongst other artists, go some way towards being 'great'. The thing is, every artist has been influenced by another, and no-one can say they are 'greater' than their peers.

My definition of a great band comes down to their ability to evolve musically.

[...]

There are hundreds of "great bands" out there with a couple of "great albums" to their name, but what about the other 5 or 6 shoite albums they've produced.

And this is most definitely another aspect I think is very important. I have every bit of respect for bands who dare explore new ways of expressing themselves musically and be original and innovative. It doesn't actually matter if they're to my taste or not. Being creative and evolving from one sound to another and still staying together as a band, is a big challenge in itself.

When you're at one of their gigs, waiting for them to come on, but you don't want them to come on because you're enjoying looking forwards to it so much. And then when they do, you're sad it's over after just an hour :(:(

In my opinion:

Innovation + Attitude + Talent + Cohesion + Resilience = Great Band

:thumbup:

Yep you must mean The Cure (ha ha ha - surprise surprise !!); No seriously by cohesion, you obviously mean a good understanding between band members and of this band, I'd only say Robert Smith has a good understanding with bassist Simon Gallup - the other members aren't safe !!!

I'd say Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev are all generally well-established with this formula James The Blue as well as World Music Artists like The Gypsy Kings or even the innovativeness of Ladysmith Black Mambazo !!!

Archived