Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigmanLee

Mattock get's the Call

Young Fox Joe Mattock has been named in the England under 17 squad for the upcoming European Championship Elite Qualifying Round in Bosnia at the end of March.

Mattock has been a regular feature in the England youth set up - and the latest call-up again demonstrates that he is a player who is moving in the right direction.

The young Lions, who are coached by John Peacock, will face the host nation, Serbia & Herzegovina and Azerbaijan with a place at the European Championship in Belgium two months later at stake.

Walkers Youth Academy Manager Jon Rudkin said: "It's a great honour for Joe to be called up to the England squad, and I am sure he will do his country proud.

"It send out a positive message to all the other youngsters at the club."

from OS

It's another in the long list of Academy honours. What still surprises me is that we have so many youth internationals - people who are selected regularly as being among the nation's best at their age group - yet so few emerge to be even club standard at the other end.

It is easy to say they are simply not good enough but is that the simple truth or does their progress get progressively stiffled by the vast numbers of foreigners in our teams now and the increasing fear of involving youth products in the first team soon enough.

Some of these players even move through the age groups...but then they hit this brick wall at 21 and it doesn't really add up.

I would argue there are at least three, probably four players who get in our first team but shouldn't be there while there are at least two Academy players, and two former Academy players who should be involved but are not.

Undoubtedly it is the same story around the country.

Who are the ones that could come into our first team now then? :whistle:

Dodds should have been the first to be involved. I've never once seen him play worse than Horsfield has been in every match except Coventry. Hammond and Hume should have been first choice with Dodds coming off the bench for half-hour spells.

King should have been involved. This whole forum is full of constant criticism of our abject midfield and, particularly, any sort of conviction and ability in an attacking sense. King has no fear of having a pop at goal and has to skills to launch attacks too. In what way couldhe have been worse?

Gradel should have been at least on the bench and involved for weeks. Right wingers who score and make goals are precious and he scores so many it is extraordinary he doesn't get a look in. My first impressions of Newton are good ones but no-one else has impressed at all.

Sheehan would make a fourth if he's anywhere near fit which I don't know. Nils has been great, a 100% player who has defended well in the main and tries so hard to make the best of what he's got. But you only had to see his crosses against Leeds to see he's not a natural attacker. Sheehan should, if fit, be our shadow player for that position.

Young Fox Joe Mattock has been named in the England under 17 squad for the upcoming European Championship Elite Qualifying Round in Bosnia at the end of March.

Mattock has been a regular feature in the England youth set up - and the latest call-up again demonstrates that he is a player who is moving in the right direction.

The young Lions, who are coached by John Peacock, will face the host nation, Serbia & Herzegovina and Azerbaijan with a place at the European Championship in Belgium two months later at stake.

Walkers Youth Academy Manager Jon Rudkin said: "It's a great honour for Joe to be called up to the England squad, and I am sure he will do his country proud.

from OS

Make up for the negative message RK sends out to the youth....'no matter how crap we are, no matter how many injuries we will play players out of position, even if we are safe in the league and you are on the fringes, your chances will be few and far between, and if you do get a chance make a mistake or behave slightly inappropriately and.........'

Okay, i'm being alittle harsh!!!

When MM has the long awaited clear-out in the summer... I really hope we get coaches in who will be willing to try and introduce some of our younger players into the first team, somtimes Thrac may go a bit far... but he's got a point! We have players who perform very very well at the youth level and deserve a fair crack in the first team... this point in the season would be ideal... with the likes of RK in charge it'll never happen, but for all his talk about bringing in "experiance" I really really hope and pray(!) that MM is willing to apoint coaching staff who as well as bringing in experianced palyers who can provide real quality will be willing to introduce younger players into the team, Porter has done well and seems very promising... so why not give the likes of Dodds, King, Gradel etc... a real chance!?

Make up for the negative message RK sends out to the youth....'no matter how crap we are, no matter how many injuries we will play players out of position, even if we are safe in the league and you are on the fringes, your chances will be few and far between, and if you do get a chance make a mistake or behave slightly inappropriately and.........'

Okay, i'm being alittle harsh!!!

Never were truer words written.... :thumbup:

Hammond...should have been first choice

:D Muhahahahaha

I appreciate that we don't have (m)any good strikers, but this simple statement shows how much - amongst all of the 'i try my hardest to sound like i know what i'm talking about but really i'm clueless and i talk complete bullsht' you post - this statement proves exactly how much you really know about football.

:D Muhahahahaha

I appreciate that we don't have (m)any good strikers, but this simple statement shows how much - amongst all of the 'i try my hardest to sound like i know what i'm talking about but really i'm clueless and i talk complete bullsht' you post - this statement proves exactly how much you really know about football.

I gather you disagree. :D

Good luck to Mattock. I just hope that he is the real thing and can kick on in his career as far too many of our kids havent amounted to much in the last few years.

Neither have the people who blocked their progress. :whistle:

And some of the kids have done fine as far as they were able.

Porter, Logan and Wesolowski spring to mind.

It's all very well saying we're making a mistake by not bringing youngsters through, the only thing that would prove this to be correct would be if someone left us and made it somewhere else. Who was the last to do that?! Delaney has had relative success but is hardly a World beater.

Why on Earth would Kelly not play someone who was ready for first team football and was better than the current squad. He's here to get results, not destroy young talents. Having seen these players first hand, if he doesn't think they're ready then I personally back his judgement.

As a first step to bringing them through we need reserve football back as a stepping stone, because I can't see going from playing against academy teams to a team of fully grown men in the Championship being an easy thing to do.

It's all very well saying we're making a mistake by not bringing youngsters through, the only thing that would prove this to be correct would be if someone left us and made it somewhere else. Who was the last to do that?! Delaney has had relative success but is hardly a World beater.

Why on Earth would Kelly not play someone who was ready for first team football and was better than the current squad. He's here to get results, not destroy young talents. Having seen these players first hand, if he doesn't think they're ready then I personally back his judgement.

As a first step to bringing them through we need reserve football back as a stepping stone, because I can't see going from playing against academy teams to a team of fully grown men in the Championship being an easy thing to do.

Good points, but all been raised hundred times before

When I say "making it", I mean becoming not only a guaranteed starter at this level but a player that is worth a few pounds. Logan came in and did well but is now number 2, Weso has been hit by injuries and cant get into the team at the moment as an on loan player and donkey (AJ) play ahead of him and Levi is probably the only one from the 3 you mentioned who is guaranteed to start. How many of those would make the Derby side or Birmingham side BTW???! Im talking of finding the equivilent of a Giles Barnes, Billy Sharp or Dave Nugent.

I'm fairly sure Weso would have been a starter. In fact Kelly was so keen to get him back he probably jumped the gun. It is not a matter of not being able to get in the team as much as simply being injured.

Stearman was also a virtually guaranteed started last season and demonstrably worth a transfer fee but I deliberately didn't mention him cos he's right back to reserve-team level in my eyes.

Logan would command a small fee and could perhaps do a job in the Championship having never done anything particularly wrong for us and having been unfortunate to be dropped when more senior players were the ones who deserved to be out. People like Williams and McCarthy.

As for bringing through superstars there'll be little chance of that til we have some quality first teamers for the lads to aspire to. When that happens there will be a knock-on effect and someone special might just emerge.

from OS

Good luck to him. :thumbup: . :)

Can only add to experience if he is to play in the first team later on. :thumbup::unsure:

Archived