Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Radio Leicester "Goal Horn"

As a sister topic to the PHG thread, does anyone know the origin of Radio Leicester's Goal Horn? If you've not heard it, it's a bit like the General Lee's horn in Dukes of Hazzard (I'm thinking of the TV series, haven't seen the film).

It's just four notes repeated twice on an airhorn or something.

Anyone got it on MP3?

As a sister topic to the PHG thread, does anyone know the origin of Radio Leicester's Goal Horn? If you've not heard it, it's a bit like the General Lee's horn in Dukes of Hazzard (I'm thinking of the TV series, haven't seen the film).

Anyone got it on MP3?

Why do they play that? :blink: I've always thought it's an odd thing to play!

Can't help you with the mp3 though sorry mate.

I haven't listened to a match on the radio properly for so long that I wasn't even sure if they still played it. Just a wild guess but I wonder if it originates back to the time when some weeks Leicester City matches weren't covered by Radio Leicester in full? I think I remember my brother saying that some weeks they would just go to City matches for brief updates. Maybe they played the horn to let people know that the following update was going to be the description of a City goal rather than just an update on the way the game was going?

aah the goal horn. Radio Leicester has been playing it for the best part of 30 years - I certainly remember it when I was about 13, and I'm 40 now.

Takes me back to the good old days when Jonathan Agnew was hosting RL's football programmes and they'd just go over to the ground for updates or goal flashes. And if we scored during a piece of music, for example, on came the goal horn.

Fantastic. Beats the moronic, weather based, gramatically unsound, footballingly inaccurate witterings of the amateur that is Barber. Except he isn't amateur, he's paid, by Radio Leicester, and hence by you and I the tax payer....... :cry::dunno::whistle:

aah the goal horn. Radio Leicester has been playing it for the best part of 30 years - I certainly remember it when I was about 13, and I'm 40 now.

Takes me back to the good old days when Jonathan Agnew was hosting RL's football programmes and they'd just go over to the ground for updates or goal flashes. And if we scored during a piece of music, for example, on came the goal horn.

Fantastic. Beats the moronic, weather based, gramatically unsound, footballingly inaccurate witterings of the amateur that is Barber. Except he isn't amateur, he's paid, by Radio Leicester, and hence by you and I the tax payer....... :cry::dunno::whistle:

Brilliant!

I love the goal horn

For many years RL also did 'predict the score'. Wonderful, pointless radio. You just rang in with your prediction. Every week the same:

"Bob from Ratby says 3-1 to City, let's hope so.

"Paul from Evington says 4-1 to United. Oh dear Paul, none of that please.

"John from Countesthorpe says 9-0 to City. Hahaha. I'm not sure if John's being serious, but you never know."

Pathetic, but always made me smile at the sheer pointlessness of it all

Great Leicester institutions:

Predict the Score

The Goal Horn

Birch hamming it up at half time

Mel the PA man saying 'well hello everyone and welcome'

The cheery but slightly crazy looking programme sellers who walk round the ground during the game

You're shit aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

RK saying:

We're down to bare bones

It'll be a tough game on Saturday, but we'll be ready

We're redoubling efforts in training

That's our worst performance since I've been in charge

For many years RL also did 'predict the score'. Wonderful, pointless radio. You just rang in with your prediction. Every week the same:

"John from Countesthorpe says 9-0 to City. Hahaha. I'm not sure if John's being serious, but you never know."

Predict the Score

The Goal Horn

The cheery but slightly crazy looking programme sellers who walk round the ground during the game

RK saying:

We're down to bare bones

Work hard

Back to basics

Few tired legs

Anyone got it on MP3?

If you listen carefully to it after the second do doo der doo theres a very faint recorded crowd cheer. FACT

Predict the Score

The Goal Horn

RK saying:

We're down to bare bones

After Paul Dickov joined us my brother predicted 2-1 to City, Dickov first scorer every week but because we were both at the games our Dad rang in for us and predicted it. No-one won predict the score for weeks and then we beat Blackburn 2-1 with Dickov scoring the first. Radio Leicester rang my Dad back and did a short interview with him on air about how he was the first person in weeks to win and how he'd won a massive selection of prizes. We didn't get our prize (a book) until we were well settled into Filbert Way which gives you an idea of the length of time it took. This time included a few confrontations with Manish Bhasin who's now doing alright for himself out covering the cricket world cup.

It's actually originally taken from a BBC Sound Effects record with the crowd noise added by the sports team who tried a series of sound effects (off air) & then settled for the horn in the early 1980's.

It's original purpose was to alert listeners that a City goal had been scored prior to going over to the reporter (we are talking Steve Lambden in those days)

The present sports team probably wouldn't know it's origin

I love the Goal Horn... I just think it's a great way to celebrate a goal on the radio but I don't think I'd like to see it played at the Walker's after a goal... no definitely not. PHG all the way :thumbup:

If you listen carefully to it after the second do doo der doo theres a very faint recorded crowd cheer. FACT

Very faint crowd cheer? It's bloody louder than the horn!

Archived