Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tevez

Joe Mattock

The run that Mattock produced against Birmingham is the kind of thing that I've seen a lot of at Academy level this season. Went to go down the outside to begin with, a quick shuffle back on to his right foot and then acceleration. It's a great sight. I've also seen him do something similar but he then offloaded it to the left winger and carried on his run on the overlap before whipping in a good cross whilst moving at pace. He really is a talent and has good feet. Watch out for the way he passes the ball with a flick of the outside of his boot when he's given a bit of space. He's got the potential and ability to do great things.

It helps of course him having players all around him who are forever moving. Billy McKay, Kingy, Teejay and Odhiambo were forever on the move providing passing options and invariably alert to the give-and-go.

To me, apart from the numbers they commit to attack which is gradually improving under Worthington, the movement off and around the ball is the biggest difference between the Academy and the first team, the latter being probably the worst professional team I've seen for that aspect.

The big thing now for Mattock is not to let his elevation go to his head but recognise that he's only as good as his biggest weaknesses. He needs to recognise those weaknesses and work on them relentlessly. If Peter Shilton's stioll got a copy of his 2004 autobiography he should get hold of it and read it.

Shilts might have been a goalkeeper but in the book he gave a terrific insight into professionalism and the single mindedness needed to work on weaknesses. I know every word was true cos I saw him and even helped him work out on many occasions. Even as a junior school pupil he was never satisfied and by the time I knew him at 14/15 you knew as sure as the sun came up that he would play for England.

Mattock is not the finished article, there is much to be done. But he's got the drive, the confidence, the bravery and the ability. It's down to attitude, attention to detail and staying fully focused now.

It helps of course him having players all around him who are forever moving. Billy McKay, Kingy, Teejay and Odhiambo were forever on the move providing passing options and invariably alert to the give-and-go.

To me, apart from the numbers they commit to attack which is gradually improving under Worthington, the movement off and around the ball is the biggest difference between the Academy and the first team, the latter being probably the worst professional team I've seen for that aspect.

The big thing now for Mattock is not to let his elevation go to his head but recognise that he's only as good as his biggest weaknesses. He needs to recognise those weaknesses and work on them relentlessly. If Peter Shilton's stioll got a copy of his 2004 autobiography he should get hold of it and read it.

Shilts might have been a goalkeeper but in the book he gave a terrific insight into professionalism and the single mindedness needed to work on weaknesses. I know every word was true cos I saw him and even helped him work out on many occasions. Even as a junior school pupil he was never satisfied and by the time I knew him at 14/15 you knew as sure as the sun came up that he would play for England.

Mattock is not the finished article, there is much to be done. But he's got the drive, the confidence, the bravery and the ability. It's down to attitude, attention to detail and staying fully focused now.

At the last training session I saw, understandably, Mattock was sticking with first team members who had progressed from the youth team. I really hope he doesn't spend too much time with Richard Stearman away from football becuase he seems to have gone backwards this season and I believe that's got a lot to do with attitude. Mattock could end up on the same road if he let's it go to his head. He seems like a down to earth kind of lad though who'll appreciate everything that come with being a professional footballer.

I think the long hair is the beginning of a steep spiralling descent into McDonalds (Weso), clubbing on his own (Hughes) and looking like Pob crossed with Stretch Armstrong (Stearman).

I like to think it's either becuase he's been brought up to look after the pennies and this hasn't changed despite earning a decent amount of money for his age or that he's been putting so much time into improving his game that he hasn't had a chance to visit the barbers... :rolleyes:

At the last training session I saw, understandably, Mattock was sticking with first team members who had progressed from the youth team. I really hope he doesn't spend too much time with Richard Stearman away from football becuase he seems to have gone backwards this season and I believe that's got a lot to do with attitude. Mattock could end up on the same road if he let's it go to his head. He seems like a down to earth kind of lad though who'll appreciate everything that come with being a professional footballer.

I heard Stearz was out in Loughbrough once and he said to this lad "chuck my phone on the floor," this lad was like "why??" Then Stearman said "Cos i can just buy a new one tomorrow"

Prime example. And that is true by the way.

I heard Stearz was out in Loughbrough once and he said to this lad "chuck my phone on the floor," this lad was like "why??" Then Stearman said "Cos i can just buy a new one tomorrow"

Prime example. And that is true by the way.

I hope the lad replied "yeah but you'll still look like Plug from the Bash Street Kids"

Right, Joe Mattock was in my class last year at GCSE. And let me tell you this now, he is absolutely immense. The amount of skill and agility he has is mind blowing. Fair enough he can't produce that sort of thing for City because he's set specifically in a position and has to restrict himself from that sort of thing but seriously, he is the next big thing for Leicester City football club. I played him many times at school, he can run circles around a player before they even realize it.

That's first hand experience people, he'll be a great player soon enough and I can see exactly why Worthington has brought him on at such a crucial time of the season. He's more than up to the plate and I don't think he'd have introduced him if he wasn't 100% sure. Have faith in the the kid, he's more than capable.

Right, Joe Mattock was in my class last year at GCSE. And let me tell you this now, he is absolutely immense. The amount of skill and agility he has is mind blowing. Fair enough he can't produce that sort of thing for City because he's set specifically in a position and has to restrict himself from that sort of thing but seriously, he is the next big thing for Leicester City football club. I played him many times at school, he can run circles around a player before they even realize it.

That's first hand experience people, he'll be a great player soon enough and I can see exactly why Worthington has brought him on at such a crucial time of the season. He's more than up to the plate and I don't think he'd have introduced him if he wasn't 100% sure. Have faith in the the kid, he's more than capable.

il back that up, i played in the same team as him at the age of 11/12 and he was head and shoulders above the others then!

was you in lee cox's class? is he any good?

No but I've playd against the guy, he's a bit arrogant to be honest, you know the type. Hes quite good too but more of an in your face type of player, he leaves out the fancy tricks and just beats you for pace or strength. Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant player and I'm sure he'll be intrroduced when the time is right. When the pair of them played together however, they were amazing, they're best friends you see, I think so yeah I'm glad to see the pair of them still going at it.

did Mattock dislocate his shoulder today?

When he came back on his wrist was strapped so I doubt it is a shoulder thing.

He did a couple of his runs at players, like last match. I'm liking Mattock. I'm liking him a lot.

No but I've playd against the guy, he's a bit arrogant to be honest, you know the type. Hes quite good too but more of an in your face type of player, he leaves out the fancy tricks and just beats you for pace or strength. Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant player and I'm sure he'll be intrroduced when the time is right. When the pair of them played together however, they were amazing, they're best friends you see, I think so yeah I'm glad to see the pair of them still going at it.

i new they were best friends they do everything together! i heard they both did loads of training on weights and did boxing to keep fit and also release anger is that right?

Archived