Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Pope aiming to follow in Nixon's footsteps

Monday, 24th September 2007

LEICESTERSHIRE are offering talented young wicketkeeper Joel Pope the opportunity to follow in Paul Nixon’s footsteps.

The 18-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman has been handed a professional contract at Grace Road after impressing in his appearances for both the MCC Young Cricketers and Leicestershire’s Second XI.

It gives the teenager a chance to emulate Nixon, who started his career with Leicestershire after a spell on the MCC Groundstaff.

“I hope I can follow in the footsteps of Paul Nixon who has had a fantastic career,†said the youngster. “I am hugely grateful to Clive Radley and Mark Wright for helping me to take my game to the next level.

The signing of Pope underlines Leicestershire’s intention to develop a squad of talented young players and they are expected to announce another significant signing in that respect this week.

Promising signing methinks although are they going to get Tom New just to concentrate on batting?? ;)

I doubt that he would get straight into the 1st team, but he is in the pecking order behind New and Nixon. New is a natural keeper, and not an outfielder. In my opinion, New will soon decide that he is fed up of fielding, get back to keeping, and join an up and coming county. It will be difficult to remove Nico from the stumps.

Good luck to the boy anyways. At least LCCC are using their brains, and decide to use the youth, instead of Kolpak.

I doubt that he would get straight into the 1st team, but he is in the pecking order behind New and Nixon. New is a natural keeper, and not an outfielder. In my opinion, New will soon decide that he is fed up of fielding, get back to keeping, and join an up and coming county. It will be difficult to remove Nico from the stumps.

Good luck to the boy anyways. At least LCCC are using their brains, and decide to use the youth, instead of Kolpak.

Bloody well done LCCC I fecking hate Kolpaks who are here for maybe a month as cover and do not give a feck. I really hope Tom New stays with us I really like him his batting is good, keeping solid and even when he bowls he takes a couple of wickets all he needs to do is stay as a batsmen for a couple of seasons until Nico retires then we will have him as 1st choice keeper and have that young lad Joel Pope in the newly created "Tom New" position: good player but still can't get in the team :D

Edited by foxesneverquit

• 3 weeks later...
And John Sadler has gone to the Sheepshaggers....
Shame, I rated him. :(

I rated him when he came to us. Ever since, his form has taken a massive drop. Dreadful last year.

I'm just disappointed Johnny Maunders has departed :( Opened well with New. Shame...As for Broad... :@

AND :@ NICK WALKER!!! :@ GET RID. NOW.

Edited by Franck Ruddrue

I rated him when he came to us. Ever since, his form has taken a massive drop. Dreadful last year.

I'm just disappointed Johnny Maunders has departed :( Opened well with New. Shame...As for Broad... :@

AND :@ NICK WALKER!!! :@ GET RID. NOW.

And you were telling me about how good he is.... :D

Domestic cricket season is done. :yawn:

Can we talk about something proper?

LCCC ARE CRAP NOW. All the god players have gone, but wait a minute we have signed Boeta Dippenar who sets the world alight every time he plays whoooppee. :rolleyes:

We'll never go anywhere under that tool, Tim whatizname as our coach.

Domestic cricket season is done. :yawn:

Can we talk about something proper?

LCCC ARE CRAP NOW. All the god players have gone, but wait a minute we have signed Boeta Dippenar who sets the world alight every time he plays whoooppee. :rolleyes:

We'll never go anywhere under that tool, Tim whatizname as our coach.

I know where you're coming from Bert, but i just wanted to see if anything decent has happened down the club.

And yes, i agree with both which i have BOLDED.

Yes, i know there is problems at City, but i'd thought i'd say, and let all you massive cricket fans... :rolleyes: ...know that there is problems at the cricket arena.

John Maunders, a good friend of mine, who recently got released, tells me today after i had cricket training, that we are in a mess.

That is all. :)

Maybe the only way forward is to flog Grace Road and build a state-of the-art ground out of town like the Riverside or Rose Bowl.

Unless we can attract some serious investment into the club, we are doomed to remain a lower league club. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Right...small news from www.leicestershireccc.co.uk

SNAPE AWARDED TESTIMONIAL IN 2008

Leicestershire have recognised the contribution of England all-rounder Jeremy Snape by awarding him a Testimonial in 2008.

NIXON JOINS INDIAN CRICKET LEAGUE

Leicestershire's Club Captain Paul Nixon today confirmed that he will be playing in the Indian Cricket League next month.

Snapper deserves it. And i have absolutely no idea what this breakaway league is all about. :blink:

Read about this Buck player in the Merc about a week ago.

Still very young aint he?

leicestershire will be extinct when he is late teens and able to play.

Aye.

He is either 16 or 17, and already in the academy. So looking good.